New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · D800 vs D3s

ShawnR

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D800 vs D3s

Wish I could share your experience. I'm very unhappy with the noise of my D800 - don't even want to go to 1600. Knowing I'll be shooting low light the 800 stays home.

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:32 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D800 vs D3s

ShawnR wrote:
Wish I could share your experience. I'm very unhappy with the noise of my D800 - don't even want to go to 1600. Knowing I'll be shooting low light the 800 stays home.

If you view the images at 100% you'll be very unhappy. If you view them at equal sizes you'll be pleased as punch Here's a demonstration of that: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41811809

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:42 PM
colincarter46
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D800 vs D3s

SAng wrote:
Regarding the D800 DR. If you are at ISO 1600 or above most of the time, the D3s is the same or better (chart here, or see dxomark).

For me, I would lean towards the D800 for the body size alone (otherwise the D3s), but as yourself and others have commented that may not be a consideration depending on the photographer. So in the balance reading all your comments my vote would be the D3s.

normally if you are shooting at iso 1600 and above its because the light levels are low so the lower DR at these levels is a mute point in my opinion. There scene probably wont encompass more than 6 f stops anyway. If you are shooting at high iso just to increase shutter speed then thats a differrent consideration altogether and you are probably a sports shooter so the D3s or D4 was made for this role.

for anything else the D800 has massive advantages over the D3s.

Nov 26, 2012 at 07:12 AM
colincarter46
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D800 vs D3s

ShawnR wrote:

iso noise upto 2000 is non existant and upto 6400 is as good as the D3s or D4, in my opinion. This is after printing and comparing shots upto a3+. The D800 also maintains a load more detail at these high isos so will take more noise reduction if you choose to. I dont touch NR software very often, ive not found a need.

Nov 26, 2012 at 07:16 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D800 vs D3s

I bought the expensive Nikon grip for my D800e because my hand cramped with verticals. So the size is the same for me but the VF, FPS and features are not. The comcepte of the "decisive moment" is hubris-shooting at 10 fps I know how many decisive moments I was missing at 4 fps.

The D3s has more DR at hi ISOs than the D800 so if it's night street photography... I have the D3s, D4 and D800e. When I leave the house it's with the D3s/D4 the D800e waits for special projects. The D3s is my choice unless you can afford a D4.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D800 vs D3s

I have both cameras. I was under the impression that the Hi ISO noise was close but that the DR was better in the D3s at Hi ISO. So the shadows should favor the D3s. I like the D3s for the controls (like the D4 better), the grip and 9 FPS. I use the grip with the D800 too since my hand cramps up with more than a few verticals. I consider the D800 a specalized camera and the D3s/D4 a general purpose camera.

But I shoot low light action and "I know you are shooting" portraits. If I was to sneak street shots I would probably use my Sony Rx100 with it's quiet shutter and "insincere" size. It will make good 8x10s while any little bit of grain at Hi ISO might be reminiscent of film days. The image is really the most important thing. But then I don't sneak shots much.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:50 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.