1       2       3              7      
       9       end

Archive 2012 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

pingflood
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

corndog wrote:
I think the point may be that, you have to start somewhere. The mirrorless craze is only five years old and I doubt it will take Canon very long to become competitive, assuming they decide to continue with this product line. I think the EOS-M sales will be considered a failure, but hopefully they improve the the product, instead of abandon it.

Yeah, but it is not like Canon is starting from scratch, trying to figure out how to make a decent camera. They have a lot of skill in camera engineering and manufacturing, and they know what the competition is capable of producing. Putting out a subpar camera like this is just a sorry effort.

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:07 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

Per Canon Watch:

http://www.canonwatch.com/rumor-canon-set-to-release-a-firmware-update-for-the-canon-eos-m-before-christmas/

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

Staying out of the "is it a DSLR, does it belong on this forum" and other posts that seem to move to the level of cat fighting, I tried out an M at a camera store recently. It had the 22mm(?) lens on it and I was allowed to use my card in it. Played with it for about 1/2 hour and of course the only things I could shoot were in the store. I was comparing it 2 different ways (1) to my pro-grade DSLRs and (2) to the Panasonic GX1 (20mm lens, EVF), a camera that I'd hoped would provide my "always with me" mantra.

IQ (again judged only on junk in a camera store) wasn't all that impressive. The AF on the 22mm(?) lens was remarkably slow. It certainly can't replace anything I do with a DSLR, but then it wasn't designed to do so. Compared to the GX1, I found it rather lacking on most measures. The Pany has better IQ (my opinion though the data set of the M was tiny). Its lack of a viewfinder of any sort is a show stopper for me. Just can't get use to pressing a 3" hunk of glass to my face to take a picture and holding it out al la "tourist mode" always seems unstable.

The Pany (and most of the 4/3s group) is much more mature and there are a number of places where it could well stand in for a mid range DSLR (low light action NOT being one of them). Like others I'm puzzled by Canon's thinking (?) on the M. Virtually all of its competitors (Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, etc.) have far better offerings. It really doesn't fit in my pocket (which is why I'm selling the GX1 kit). Frankly I can't see what it offers me over the S90 which I keep shoving into a jeans pocket when I'm moving. The GX1 is vastly superior but still doesn't go everywhere.

Maybe the M is just a place holder for something more interesting? Maybe its just Canon saying "Yeah, we've got one too?" Bottom line for "Why is there no buzz?" There is nothing "buzz worthy" about the camera.

Having said all that, I'm pretty sure that within a relatively short time frame the (D)SLR will become obsolete. Someone will produce a camera with no moving parts and an electronic viewer that meets and then surpasses what the SLR is capable of. In the history of technology almost invariably something simpler with fewer moving parts replaces the more complex because it becomes cheaper to make and cheaper to maintain. Sure SLRs will remain in niches and for die hards. Some of us just like the sound of a shutter Canon's rather lame contribution to this evolution not withstanding, the mirror will die.

Robert

Nov 25, 2012 at 05:01 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

Magic Lantern on the way for the EOS M:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/whats-new/78-news/144-eos-m-hello-world

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM
artd
• • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

I don't know about anybody else. I do know the reason why I didn't get the EOS-M is because it's not better than other mirrorless cameras, one of which I already own. If Canon had come out with this thing a few years back I'd have been all over it. But Canon was late to the party and I left with another brand, and at this point it doesn't offer anything compelling enough to make me want to buy it.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

artd wrote:
I don't know about anybody else. I do know the reason why I didn't get the EOS-M is because it's not better than other mirrorless cameras, one of which I already own. If Canon had come out with this thing a few years back I'd have been all over it. But Canon was late to the party and I left with another brand, and at this point it doesn't offer anything compelling enough to make me want to buy it.

Methinks lots of EOS shooters are in the same boat. I rather like all the camera and lens choices in the M4/3 system and will stick to it as my casual cam. Looking forward to buying the new Oly 17 1.8 M4/3 lens...

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

artd wrote:

That's more or less where I am... with this particular body, for my particular needs, at this particular point.

What I like about the EOS-M camera/concept: A larger APS-C sensor that is capable of excellent image quality, low light performance, the smaller form factor, the ability to use small and high quality lenses, the potential for further refinement in the line.

What leaves me less enthusiastic: Speed of operation (esp. AF) not up to what I need for how I would use the camera - most likely for things such as street photography, a bit early still in the development cycle for lenses I would want, physical control system could be a bit more robust/sophisticated.

Again, I'm very intrigued by the developments in the market category that this camera fits into, especially when it comes to cameras that are more functionally capable. The larger sensor can give the M(-series?) some advantages over other small format mirrorless competitors, but for me I'll still need more functionality. I think that will come... eventually.

Take care,

Dan

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:27 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:48 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

Canon put on a showcase of it's camera and video gear last week and the rep said they are getting killed on the AF speed on the EOS M. Canon seem to be aware of the negative feedback.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:42 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

I wonder how many people who complain about the AF speed have actually used the camera. By default, it is in a mode that is quite slow and has a tendency to hunt from close to far and back, but when you put it in a single AF point, it's really not all that much different than a SLR. Nonetheless, rumors will spread through camera forums, and the loudest voice is from those who haven't actually used the camera.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:05 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

I've used it plenty, the concerns are valid.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:17 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

RobDickinson wrote:
I've used it plenty, the concerns are valid.

I'd like to see how it stacks up against the other two mirrorless systems with less than stellar AF, namely Sony and Fuji. Olympus and Panasonic are way out in front and I've heard the Nikon CS is supposedly fast too, but it's much smaller sensor rules it out for most people.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:57 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

I finally held an EOS M today and have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by the build and feel of the camera. If I were choosing between it and the Sony today, I might go for the Canon. The AF is, of course, another issue, which Canon will hopefully fix for the next iteration.

Dec 07, 2012 at 01:28 PM
G. Thomas
• • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

The AF with the 18-55 isn't too bad for my uses. It's surely no 17-55/7D or 24-105/5D2 combo, but not bad. The 22mm is slow, but usuable for pretty much everything other than action stuff. My REAL gripe is that really expensive adapter I bought to use with my teles is not so great on AF. Just turn AF off and save yourself some grief. Holy s***, "normal" EF lenses perform poorly with that thing!!! (magic drainpipe and 300f4). Aside from lack of AF for tele, I rather like my EOS-m. It's nice not having to lug around all that heavy stuff, especially since it's just a hobby for me!

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:19 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

Ben Horne wrote:
I wonder how many people who complain about the AF speed have actually used the camera. By default, it is in a mode that is quite slow and has a tendency to hunt from close to far and back, but when you put it in a single AF point, it's really not all that much different than a SLR. Nonetheless, rumors will spread through camera forums, and the loudest voice is from those who haven't actually used the camera.

Interesting, Ben. I was accepting the "word on the street," though I haven't used the camera. One reason I believed it is that I have had negative experiences with other small format cameras - for real, I used them - and figured that it was reasonable that the new camera might have the same issues.

On the other hand, there are some reports here in this thread that seem to come from folks who have used it and who think the AF is not exactly speedy.

Dan

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:13 PM
SKumar25
• • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

Funny video featuring eos-m...

http://photorumors.com/2012/11/29/funny-video-the-mirrorless-party/

Dec 08, 2012 at 05:35 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

For what it's worth, Amazon punkt Kom (Germany) is offering the EOS M with the 18-55 STM and the 90EX flash, for only 700 Euros. If you're in that part of the world, it's hard to resist that price!

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:09 AM
joezasada
• • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

I have been a longtime Canon EOS shooter. I've got some really good (and really expensive) bodies and lenses. They have served me well for a long time.

*but*

I need a backpack to transport my gear. And it's very expensive.

A friend of mine suggested I check out the micro 4/3 stuff. I did with a GX1. Wow, I was impressed... so I added more micro 4/3 lenses (both pana and oly). then a GH3.
For almost all things it matches (or exeeeds) the performance of my Canon gear... at a much lower price point...

And instead of a backpack I have a small camera bag... much easier to haul around...

a GX1 with the panasonic 20mm F/1.7 pancake is wonderful combination... I can hide it in a jacket pocket! I can shoot ISO3200 without worry... (ISO6400 on my GH3)... and the video capabilities are very good on the GX1 (and awesome on the GH3)...

I absolutely love the electronic shutter on the GH3

about the only major thing my Canon system does better is sports / fast action... but I can't see that advantage lasting much longer....

Mirrorless is a disruptive technology that is changing the whole dimension of digital photography... for the better...

(I still like my Canon stuff... but I really love my micro 4/3 stuff!)

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:31 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

joezasada wrote:
*but*

I need a backpack to transport my gear. And it's very expensive.

)

Do you mean expensive in money or something else? For example you could get free backpack with 6d + sd card.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html

Edited on Dec 11, 2012 at 07:10 PM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:39 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Nobody's getting the EOS-M

pingflood wrote:
Yeah, but it is not like Canon is starting from scratch, trying to figure out how to make a decent camera. They have a lot of skill in camera engineering and manufacturing, and they know what the competition is capable of producing. Putting out a subpar camera like this is just a sorry effort.

They clearly don't have a track record in contrast detect AF however, which is their biggest problem. Canon sit at the bottom of the scale on CDAF. Having said that Fuji suck too in this regard.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:56 PM
       9       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

9       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.