Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2012 · Lost FMers ?

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Lost FMers ?

What is that word "too much" of which you speak

You didn't mention that you had too many Leica lenses

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.4 #2 · Lost FMers ?

carstenw wrote:
What is that word "too much" of which you speak

You didn't mention that you had too many Leica lenses

Never knew I could use Leica lenses until I found out that the R lenses can go on F mount cameras.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:53 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · Lost FMers ?

I think not all can, but many can. WorldInLens can swap the mount, and Leitax mounts work too. There are some really beautiful photos on the Leitax website of D700s with various Leica lenses. One of these days I am going to post a shot of my 180/2 on my D800.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM
StevenPA
• • • •
p.4 #4 · Lost FMers ?

cogitech wrote:
True. I was just trying to clarify that some of StevenPA's list are not MIA.

Oddly enough, at one point I thought StevenPA was MIA, too.

I have been incommunicado for a few years. I changed jobs, and things really got crazy. It's the busiest I've ever been, and they're not paying me enough.

On another note, I'd like to reach out to these people and ask them, even if they are not shooting much, or posting much, to please touch base once in a while and let us know how life is going...

This place is really all about the people, after all. During my absence, I often thought of all of you great folks here. What I didn't imagine is that things would have changed as much as they have...

Duly noted, and me too. I lurk, but to be honest, despite the great conversations, I don't find interested enough to post. I've lost a bit of the fire. Still using the 5D with some Contax lenses, but a lot of my gear is also collecting dust. I tend to just sling the 5D and Contax 50/1.4 over my shoulder and snap a few shots here and there. I still hike a lot, and should be more proactive about setting up the tripod though.

Nov 22, 2012 at 02:14 AM
StevenPA
• • • •
p.4 #5 · Lost FMers ?

wjlapier wrote:
Mike Hatam

Yep, there's another name! I learned tons from these guys at that time!

Nov 22, 2012 at 02:15 AM
StevenPA
• • • •
p.4 #6 · Lost FMers ?

cogitech wrote:
Good to see (read?) you again Bill! I too remember seeing Mike Hatam's Oly 21/3.5 tests (ended up buying one, too). He hung around here for quite a while after Guy and Jack left...

We would do well to remember the Cogitech Castle D21 shot as well. Although was that on a crop body? Regardless, it was a fantastic shot that pushed the D21 mysticism to new heights at that time.

Nov 22, 2012 at 02:20 AM
rico
• • • •
p.4 #7 · Lost FMers ?

cogitech wrote:
Lotus, Rico and ISO1600 are around, even recently. They just seem to have dialed things back as well.

Still scanning Alt every day! I dialed back slightly because of family developments (see image below), and will dial back even more with a new job starting next week. Plus, I'm spread pretty thin with interests in studio lighting and film rangefinders. Serious drop-outs include Pham and Pondria.

(Studio lights and alt lens Leitz Tele-Elmar 135 on Canon 1Ds).

Nov 22, 2012 at 07:06 AM
rico
• • • •
p.4 #8 · Lost FMers ?

cogitech wrote:
Lotus, Rico and ISO1600 are around, even recently. They just seem to have dialed things back as well.

Still scanning Alt every day! I dialed back slightly because of family developments (see image below), and will dial back even more with a new job starting next week. Plus, I'm spread pretty thin with interests in studio lighting and film rangefinders. Serious Alt dropouts include Pham and Pondria.

(Studio lights and alt lens Leitz Tele-Elmar M 135 on Canon 1Ds).

Nov 22, 2012 at 07:07 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.4 #9 · Lost FMers ?

carstenw wrote:
He peeks in from time to time, but he has his own company (or is a partner, I am not sure), and has a still fairly new relationship which was continually getting more serious the last I heard, pulling him away from us

That about sums it up Carsten Though it's nice to be missed

In short what has happened is that my relationship has taken basically all the time I used to have. We bought an apartment and moved in together a few months ago and now (three days ago actually) we got engaged. The thing is that for me photography is a solo activity. I can't really take a walk with my girlfriend (now fiance) and do photography at the same time as I end up not doing either very well. And simply put when I have to make I choice of going for a walk with her or doing a photo walk, I'd rather go for a walk with her.

I do however from time to time take a photo walk, and I post here on occasion (mostly the Leica thread), but perhaps once every two or three weeks at best (compared to basically every day during my very active photo period). I do miss doing more photography, and I miss posting here and of course I miss you guys. But c'est la vie and right now my personal life takes a lot of my time and is my first priority. I'm counting on doing more photography in the future (and of course posting here), but it's very unlikely that I'll be spending as much time on it as I did.

To give you an example, I have just returned from a couple of days in Paris. I brought one camera with me - the Leica X1. Not because it's my favorite, but because it's the most compact thing I have with decent IQ. And I took a total of... 1 picture:

Not a very impressive achievement

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:56 AM
philber
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #10 · Lost FMers ?

Your not very impressive pics are other people's masterpieces, Luka. As to your coming to Paris without letting me know...

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

eosfun
• • • •
p.4 #11 · Lost FMers ?

As to your coming to Paris without letting me know...

Philippe, Luka just explained. He has a fiance. Luka congrats ) the guy wants to share his pictures with us. Not his girl friend . In the city of light and love all his attention goes to his girl. That is why he shot only one photo. I know all about it Girls and cameras, there is some tension between it. Maybe next time a portrait of your fiance on a bridge in Stockholm Luka

Edited on Nov 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.4 #12 · Lost FMers ?

philber wrote:
Your not very impressive pics are other people's masterpieces, Luka. As to your coming to Paris without letting me know...

Yes, I'm sorry Philippe, but it was a really quick visit - we came on Sunday and left on Tuesday. The only thing on my mind was the proposal and all the stuff in relation to that.. So there was really no time to meet up. Next time however, I promise I'll let you know and we can meet up. This was my first time in Paris and I found it to be really impressive and amazing place. I want to see much more of it. So I can promise you that I'll definitely be back

eosfun wrote:
Philippe, Luka just explained. He has a fiance. Luka congrats thumb: ) the guy wants to share his pictures with us. Not his girl friend. In the city of light and love all his attention goes to his girl. That is why he shot only one photo. I know all about it Girls and cameras, there is some tension between it. Maybe next time a portrait of your fiance on a bridge in Stockholm Luka

Thanks! And you got it right. It wasn't the moment to mix girls and cameras

Edit: I do have one thing to show that I haven't forgotten my alt roots. We did take an engagement photo yesterday (back in Stockholm) with a Zeiss 50/2 MP

Edited on Nov 22, 2012 at 10:12 AM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · Lost FMers ?

denoir wrote:
In short what has happened is that my relationship has taken basically all the time I used to have. We bought an apartment and moved in together a few months ago and now (three days ago actually) we got engaged. The thing is that for me photography is a solo activity. I can't really take a walk with my girlfriend (now fiance) and do photography at the same time as I end up not doing either very well. And simply put when I have to make I choice of going for a walk with her or doing a photo walk,
...Show more

congrats!!! sounds like you have your priorities in order.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:12 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · Lost FMers ?

Congratulations Luka! Amazing how quickly life changes, isn't it. I am waiting for the child announcements now

Have you considered the X2? I know that the X1 is your favorite camera to hate, but the X2 sounds like it solves the worst problems quite well, and it is only very slightly uglier (that little black bump which gives access to the VF-2)

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:12 AM
philber
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #15 · Lost FMers ?

Yes, Luka, congrats on your engagement! And be glad that Carsten didn't suggest you get the X2 in Paul Smith garb

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.4 #16 · Lost FMers ?

Thanks a lot guys!!

As for an X2.. to be honest, I have not really thought about it. I should at some point in the near future do a complete revision of my camera systems (probably when the new M comes out).. but my initial impression is that there are far more alternatives today compared to when the X1 came out. That RX-1 could definitely be an alternative.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:23 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.4 #17 · Lost FMers ?

Tjena, Luka! Congrats on everything - and nice to hear from you!

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · Lost FMers ?

Congrats Luka! Such an exciting time in your life right now. Enjoy every moment!

Nov 22, 2012 at 03:21 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.4 #19 · Lost FMers ?

Congrats Luka!
You should of had one of us shoot your proposal.
I did that for a friend last year and then shot their wedding this year.
Capturing that .moment is special, and his fiancee had no idea it was coming.
Hope you eventually can get some more time to shoot.
Wow, first time in Paris and you only took one shot!
She must really have you whipped/trained!

Nov 22, 2012 at 04:59 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.4 #20 · Lost FMers ?

Thanks Morten, Paul and Wayne

wayne seltzer wrote:
Wow, first time in Paris and you only took one shot!
She must really have you whipped/trained!

Actually it was she that insisted that I take a photo as otherwise she would have carried around my camera in her bag all day for nothing

Nov 22, 2012 at 07:07 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password