Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Lost FMers ?

slungu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lost FMers ?

Does anybody know something about Pham Minh Son from the old days ? He was always into very "exotic" lenses back then : the Anniversary Zeiss lenses and some other good stuff like the 28 Hollywood and the 100/2 .

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:02 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lost FMers ?

carstenw wrote:
Jack and Guy started their own forum after their own spats with Fred. They are over on getdpi.com, a very nice little forum, much quieter than here but with some really friendly people. There are lots of people over there using digital medium format, and active Leica and Sony forums.

Considering how Fred rarely ever posts, I'm left to wonder how anyone could get into a spat with him.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:29 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lost FMers ?

There was some heavy-handed moderating I think, and Fred of course took the side of his moderator. It is a long time ago, I am not sure that the people are even around any more. Fred himself is of course normally great.

Pondria is still around somewhere. I saw him in some forum recently, and he still uses his 1DsII, I believe. Isn't he a moderator in one of the forums?

Edited on Nov 21, 2012 at 08:42 AM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:31 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lost FMers ?

Fascinating. I have been here years and have never even seen a sign that moderation goes on.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:36 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lost FMers ?

It does. Try posting something larger than a stamp over on the landscape forum (joke) If someone posts an ad, tries to sell outside of the B&S forum in a blatant way, gets personal and insulting, you will see moderation, and on a very rare occasion, also for other reasons. The moderation is very light here, and the community generally well behaved, but there are exceptions.

Guy gets a bit emotional about some things, so I guess there was a personality conflict. I didn't witness it, but saw the after-effects (The Leica DMR Bible nuked). Even more odd was that Jack, who is normally ultra-calm, also got into an argument with the same moderator. IIRC. I don't recall who it was any more. This is years ago. A crying shame, really.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:40 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lost FMers ?

carstenw wrote:
I was mailing with him a little while ago. He also has a little family and was quite busy with his life, in good spirits. There are some of his Contax 35/1.4 photos here: http://cyberphotographer.com/5D/CZ351.4/

Thanks Carsten for this link to these classic CZ 35/1.4 shots from Braniac.
The poster child images for 3-d!

Nov 21, 2012 at 09:07 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lost FMers ?

Fascinating. I have been here years and have never even seen a sign that moderation goes on

The mod's alias is on every board right above in your screen. Every now and then accounts get blocked, sometimes moderators disappear. A flame thread is mostly what goes on before moderation becomes noticeable. Conflicts and moderation themes are specific for a board. Indeed, size of images in the landscape forum, nudity in the people forum (there is one obviously going on now from a member who says goodbye because he can't live with the rules here, commercial interest, spamming and linking without permisssion happens in the buy and sell forum, but also in the sports and wedding forums sometimes. I am sure a few of the above mentioned lost FM members left in fact because they did start their own forum. There are quite a few places on the web that started from here and are succesful on their own. Not all of them left with conflicts but in a friendly way. A few though started elsewhere after lots of turbulence here.

In general the people we lose here leave because of shift of priorities, busy personal lifes and business stress. Also the lack of interest in the hobby, or a shift from talking gear to using gear. Some of the latter return time after time.

I also know from members that we lost forever, because they got severely ill, passed away. Some members got handicapped or disabled to do photography. It's them that I miss the most. Most of those are members from other boards, from the beginning of FM when we didn't have an alt board yet. When shooting RAW was an experiment with Fred's linear conversion tools because there was no official RAW converter yet. That was the time when we had maybe 300 members. And look where we are now. At this very moment we have over 255.000 users, often more than 5000 concurrent users all over the world during peak time. It's no miracle we lose some members every now and then. But we get new members in this great community too. It's a natural process.

Nov 21, 2012 at 09:51 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lost FMers ?

eosfun wrote:
nudity in the people forum (there is one obviously going on now from a member who says goodbye because he can't live with the rules here ...

I've read that thread, and I must have missed something: What rules did he break?

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lost FMers ?

He says he can't live with the rules, which is not the same as he did break the rules.

Ha det bra!

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:53 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lost FMers ?

Haha, you know, "Ha det bra!" means "Good bye!". "Ha en fortsatt fin dag!" sounds nicer!

But I think you should be fair - one of his photos was removed because it recieved some complaints from other users. He didn't break any rules. As in "he can't live with the rules" - what rules? What he has said is that he isn't okay with not knowing when his photos suddenly will be removed. Personally I think he makes a VERY good case for himself, but FM is the owner of this site - and so it is.

Sorry for going off track.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Lost FMers ?

Out of interest, would you link to the thread in question?

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Lost FMers ?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1167242

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Lost FMers ?

I am not aware at all of the fact that I am not fair. It's up to the moderators to decide wether someone breaks the rules or not. You can say that you believe he did not break the rules, but it's not to us. I think too many people don't realise it is a privilege to use the this forum. The rules are clear enough about it, read again: "Use of this forum is a privilege. This is a private forum. If necessary, we reserve the right to refuse access or deny the right to use the forum to anyone, without further notice". If Fred get many complaints, not just some as you state, it was clear enough even the poster mentioned "too many" complaints, he may have no choice but to ask to remove a link to a picture or do it himself. I can see the point of view of the photographer that it is difficult for him to have no explicit clear rules for what kind of nudity is acceptable and what not. But sometimes it is hard to get those things in rules. Then we have to accept that Fred or his moderators are "referees" who can decide what to do. It belongs to their rights and we have to accept it from the fact that it is a privilege to make use of this platform. It is always sad if a photographer decides to leave this forum for that reason. But over the years Fred and his team have proven to maintain rules appropriate and really not very stringent in the interest of keeping this community the great one it is. Some will be missed. But I also know a few that I did not miss at all after they moved from here. This is too much a civilized place where people also take care of each others feelings.

Ha en god dag! Ha det

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:38 AM
mortyb
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Lost FMers ?

Okay, it's no point taking this further. I understand what you're saying. My point is that I didn't think it was entirely fair to say that "a member who says goodbye because he can't live with the rules here". Reading the thread, it becomes clear that it's not that black/white, so to say. And while it's a "privilege" to use this forum, at the same time, this forum only has any value because of its users.

Your Norwegian skillz are increasing fast!

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Lost FMers ?

Tusen takk!

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:09 PM
David R.

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Lost FMers ?

For clarification eosfun are you a moderator?

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Lost FMers ?

No I am not Not here at least

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:21 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Lost FMers ?

StevenPA wrote:
Brainiac and Fred had a falling out. The details (or at least some of them) are somewhere in the archives.

Lotusm50, Rico, Andi Dietrich, ziyadj, ISO1600, pascal03, Mike Tuomey. The list is pretty long.

All the old Contax crew. My guess is that the alt world has changed so dramatically in the past few years that there really isn't much need to explore anymore. It's about aesthetics now, not "let's find the best". I'm sure many just get the new Zeiss lenses and are done with it.

And for me, I changed jobs a few years ago and kinda lost the fire because
...Show more

Lotus, Rico and ISO1600 are around, even recently. They just seem to have dialed things back as well.

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:02 PM
philber
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Lost FMers ?

If we go on about those who have dialed things back substantially, then this thread is going to get long. Just think: Samuli Vahonen, denoir, among many other luminaries...

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:21 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Lost FMers ?

Denoir pops his head once in a while but I'm sure his startup is taking up all his time.

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:29 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password