Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · D800 Screen Protector?

Lance B
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D800 Screen Protector?

James R wrote:
Does this keep dust and sand from getting between the cover and the monitor? It looks very similar to the stock protector Nikon provides, except the black trim.

It is similar to the GGS III screen that I use which does stop dirt and dust from getting between the cover and the monitor as it has a felt seal between the screen and monitor.

Nov 20, 2012 at 09:51 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D800 Screen Protector?

Thanks

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM
zettlphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D800 Screen Protector?

I have the GGS on one of my cameras and it's okay, it's definitely more secure than the one Nikon provides.
If you're just trying to stop day to day scuffing and scratching, another solution might be one of the plastic film coatings like they use for smartphones. They don't obstruct anything like the GGS does, are a little more expensive, and a lot more durable under constant use.
Zagg is a company that comes to mind, you can see what they have here:
http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/nikon-d800-2012-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php
I think with a hard/sharp impact all of these will fail, some less some more, and your screen will be damaged in some way. The Nikon one of course pops off and lets the impact hit directly on the bare glass. I suspect the GGS would simply break or disintegrate under the same impact slightly cushioning the screen, possibly, as in the case of when a glass filter is smashed against a front element on a lens, the shards themselves would do the damage. The plastic film however, would not break and would retain it's integrity and would still provide some kind of softening of the blow in almost every circumstace, and would not add to the damage. Additionally it would still be useable after the impact if the screen still functioned, whereas the other two would be destroyed and would at best hinder viewing.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D800 Screen Protector?

There is no dust and it is so much better quality than the stock cover it isn't funny.

Nov 22, 2012 at 01:23 AM
ssoetjia

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D800 Screen Protector?

GGS is in my D90, D700, and D800.

I cracked 2 of my GGS on my D700. The screen is undamaged, unscratched at all. To remove GGS, simply head up the glue with hair drayer, and use dental floss, its that easy!.

Nov 22, 2012 at 01:33 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D800 Screen Protector?

James R wrote:
Zesto,

After checking into this, I can say that I don't know. Nikon doesn't advertise "tempered glass" monitors. Couldn't find any Nikon reference to tempered related on the D800 or D4. Check the D4 user manual and it doesn't mention tempered glass either. So, I don't know and therefore take my previous comment back. I'll probably put a GGS on the D4, since it is cheap and move on to other big problems.

My D800E cover glass is definitely glass, not plastic, BUT:
T.Hogan, in his D800 Guide, referring to the D800(E) LCD cover glass, states that "...apparently this isn't as hardened as the glass on the D3 series and D4 models."
Also, it appears that the space between the LCD and the glass is now filled with some sort of hard, clear resin--in other words, the LCD and it's cover glass are a single, inseparable unit, which means if you smash the glass, you are now more likely to simultaneously smash the LCD underneath. No longer a cheap, do-at-home-if-you-want-to replacement job.

Another argument for a 'D4X".

Nov 22, 2012 at 03:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

James R
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D800 Screen Protector?

Well if Hogan says so, then I'm back to my original statement, but still probably going to use the GGS cover.

Nov 22, 2012 at 04:08 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D800 Screen Protector?

dennishh wrote:
There is no dust and it is so much better quality than the stock cover it isn't funny.

+1

On my D300 I had some grit or sand or something hard get in between the stock plastic cover and the LCD and it left a small divot/pit on the LCD surface. Best to ditch the plastic cover and go with a GGS.

Nov 22, 2012 at 06:01 AM
kazinvan
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D800 Screen Protector?

There are three models of GGS screen protectors and I have tried both the I and the II. My experience is documented here, with some photos: http://photokaz.com/2012/08/ggs-lcd-screen-protector-real-vs-fake-nikon-d800/

The two stick-on models are of different size and the Gen II does not fit the D800 screen very well, it cuts off the top and bottom. Not ideal, so make sure you know what you are getting. The Gen III is clip on like the Nikon stock cover.

Nov 25, 2012 at 05:45 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D800 Screen Protector?

Zagg film coating here. Used the Zagg on a D80 for about 3 years and when I removed it the screen was like new. Have had a Zagg on my D300 for 4+ years and it's in perfect condition as well. The D800 cover looks to be the equal of their previous ones.

Peace,

Todd

Nov 25, 2012 at 07:38 PM
Garrick L
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D800 Screen Protector?

Folks FYI, the The D800 GGS Gen III clip on protector that has been referenced in this thread will not work with the RRS L Plate that so many of us use. Well that is unless you are willing to do a little modification to it. When you tighten down the RRS L Plate there is an interference with the snap feature on the GGS cover and it pops the top of the GGS cover lose from the camera. I got around this by removing a little plastic on the GGS cover where it interferes with the L Plate by using a file and then using a heat gun to carefully heat the plastic close to it's transition temperature and re-forming the plastic in such a way that it provides a tighter snap fit. Be careful if you attempt this not to heat the plastic too much or move it too much, or you will have a garbage bound new GGS cover.

Hope this helps those that are interested in the D800 GGS cover with the RRS L Plate.

Cheers,

Garrick Liddell Photography

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:12 PM
zesto
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D800 Screen Protector?

Keith B. wrote:
My D800E cover glass is definitely glass, not plastic, BUT:
T.Hogan, in his D800 Guide, referring to the D800(E) LCD cover glass, states that "...apparently this isn't as hardened as the glass on the D3 series and D4 models."

Thanks for that. Hogan doesn't know for sure though, apparent in his use of the word "apparently". You would think that Nikon would state this in the specifications for the camera. Nikon also says their LCD cover is transporting and storing the camera, not necessarily for using it to look through even if it's clear.

Page 14 of the Nikon D800 user's manual.

"The BM-12 Monitor Cover
A clear plastic cover is provided with the
camera to keep the monitor clean and
protect it when the camera is not in use...."

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:14 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password