Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Grease of Carbon Fiber Tripods

AMaji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Grease of Carbon Fiber Tripods

Hi,
I would like to get some recommendations on what brand/type of grease to use at the joints of a carbon fiber tripod.

Thank you for your time.

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:51 AM
TheBearman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Grease of Carbon Fiber Tripods

White lithium grease

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:37 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Grease of Carbon Fiber Tripods

Thanks.

Nov 19, 2012 at 05:14 AM
harrygilbert
• • •
p.1 #4 · Grease of Carbon Fiber Tripods

Since any type of grease attracts dust and dirt, and gets gummy, I use a spray-on white Teflon spray.

http://www2.dupont.com/Teflon_Industrial/en_US/products/product_by_type/coatings/index.html

http://www.promtechaerosol.com/PTFE%20coating%20spray.html

Nov 19, 2012 at 05:37 AM
peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Grease of Carbon Fiber Tripods

I also use a viscous white lithium grease that I got from the car store Auto Zone.

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:59 AM
sparrks
• •
p.1 #6 · Grease of Carbon Fiber Tripods

I use silicone grease - is that good or bad?

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Carson Wilcox
• •
p.1 #7 · Grease of Carbon Fiber Tripods

+1 for the Teflon spray, to be honest I've never found a reason to use a lube on any of my CF tripods, but the Teflon spray is great, it is a dry lube and will not gum up and doesn't attract any dust or dirt,

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:30 PM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #8 · Grease of Carbon Fiber Tripods

Gitzo sells grease in a tube for this purpose - see THIS. That is what Gitzo uses at their factory.

One posting noted that using greases other than the Gitzo can result in the tripod locking up for good if exposed to salt water. Yes it is very expensive for what you get, so don't bother with stating the obvious.

Really Right Stuff recommends the use of Phil Wood Tenacious Oil. It is sold by bike stores.

The RRS tutorial on tripod maintenance can be found HERE.

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:44 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Grease of Carbon Fiber Tripods

I've been using silicone dielectric grease for years, with no issues on 6 or 7 Gitzo's. It's cheap and readily available in any auto parts store, in single-use foil packets or tubes like toothpaste. I have actually tried the Tenacious Oil, but I'm in south Florida, and it runs in very hot weather (and I applied it very sparingly).

Nov 19, 2012 at 05:25 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Grease of Carbon Fiber Tripods

I can understand the problem with grease and sand/dust. I was in Arizona earlier this month and after a couple of days the joints started to make a horrible screeching noise and it was so difficult to tighten it. Came back home and opened and cleaned the joints. Hence looking for grease. If something else works, then I want to go with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:48 PM
sparrks
• •
p.1 #11 · Grease of Carbon Fiber Tripods

I smear silicone grease on the alloy leg (internal & external) parts of my CF tripods that I use in the sea. I also pack the twist locks full of grease, working on the assumption that if it's full of grease they can't be full of salt water. I also strip the pods down after two or three times of use.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password