Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2012 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jctriguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jorkata wrote:
It's very simple, really.

Canon's 'affordable' FF camera has become cheaper since 2005, when the 5Dc was announced.
And yet, in 2012, the 6D gets the same inept, single-point AF system of its grandparent - albeit sugarcoated with -3EV sensitivity now.

When we pay $2000+, is it all that unreasonable to ask for something more than a 7-year old, inept, single-point AF system .

Lots of people have taken great shots with 'inept' single point systems. Lots of people with 45pt AF systems use single point center only AF. Stop basing you view of cameras on spec lists and try using them. If you are part of the 5-10% (my estimate) of people that really use the outer points, don't get the 6D. But that doesn't make it an inept AF system.

Nov 19, 2012 at 06:26 PM
timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jorkata wrote:

Canon's 'affordable' FF camera has become cheaper since 2005, when the 5Dc was announced.
And yet, in 2012, the 6D gets the same inept, single-point AF system of its grandparent - albeit sugarcoated with -3EV sensitivity now.

When we pay $2000+, is it all that unreasonable to ask for something more than a 7-year old, inept, single-point AF system .

Don't pay it then. The most effective protest/demonstration is an economic one - if enough people don't buy at the asked for prices, canon will make a change.

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:27 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.5 #3 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

timbop wrote:
Don't pay it then. The most effective protest/demonstration is an economic one - if enough people don't buy at the asked for prices, canon will make a change.

Yup. I've actually made my mind already. Just venting at this time .

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:17 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

Uh, . . . I like center point AF. I use it on all my cameras, including the 1Ds3. I like the precision of choosing my spot and locking focus. Granted, I'm not often shooting moving subjects, so for me it works great. I can certainly see how other focus options would work better for other photographers and subjects, but I don't feel inept using center point AF, quite the opposite.

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:40 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.5 #5 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

Hmm still under the impression the 6d has more than one AF point. I'm assuming those knocking it have used it already?

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:42 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.5 #6 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

Yes, I've used the 6D already.
In the real world, -3EV is overrated. Doesn't work at all - focus is hunting like crazy and cannot lock.
This is a real world example. Let see how you are going to argue with it .

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:50 PM
Glenn NK
• •
p.5 #7 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

NCAndy wrote:
I understand how WiFi helps but what would GPS do for a camera? I know where I take my pictures!

We are planning a bit of a whirlwind trip to Europe next year.

With ten CF cards full of images, I'm not sure I will remember where every shot was taken - the GPS would be very valuable.

Who has time to take notes?

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:16 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.5 #8 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jorkata wrote:
In the real world, -3EV is overrated. Doesn't work at all - focus is hunting like crazy and cannot lock.

So now it has zero usable autofocus points. or user error.. ?

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:20 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.5 #9 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jorkata wrote:

Well... Switch brands then?

Canon gave one focus point which (reportedly) is incredible. Nikon gave a lot more which (reportedly) aren't.

Choose which you want.

Edited on Nov 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StillFingerz
• • • •
p.5 #10 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jorkata wrote:

How about an explanation of what you were shooting, time of day, indoor or outdoor, distance to subject, lens and settings, images would help make it...REAL WORLD...text means very little

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM
JDFeos

p.5 #11 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

How about to have at least the 19 point AF of the 7D?

It's not a matter that the EOS 6D AF is not capable in single point AF, but what it limits us in the creative part. How will it track something outside of the center frame? Composing also with primes 1.2/1.4 at center point and re-framing also in certain situations changes the focal plane.

I guess "we" can live with it, but I agree that at this point Canon should give us something more, why limit the user?! They intentionally cripple the camera and don't provide features only to sometime in the future we feel we must upgrade to something with a more decent AF.

Nikon might have an AF which has some bad reputation in the D7000, but having used the D600 + 85 1.8G myself and being the owner of a 5D and 5DII, I simply did not feel the AF was bad or inaccurate even using non center points. I can be wrong but it felt secure and consistent.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.5 #12 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

JDFeos wrote:

It's not a matter that the EOS 6D AF is not capable in single point AF, but what it limits us in the creative part. How will it track something outside of the center frame? Composing also with primes 1.2/1.4 at center point and re-framing also in certain situations changes the focal plane.

I guess "we" can live with it, but I agree that at this point Canon should give us something more, why limit the user?! They intentionally cripple the camera and don't provide features only to
...Show more

There are many reporting the same regarding the AF on the D600. A few reports about it having some problems in dim lights, but many others say it work wonderfully in the same conditions.

Best thing is to rent out both cameras and decide for oneself.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.5 #13 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jorkata wrote:

Maybe we live in different "real worlds" .
I tested three different bodys in my real world. Outer points work better than my 5D IIs. The center point was fantastic. No hunting and immediate locking. But maybe those three bodies have been special manufactured ones for presentation?

Ralph

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:21 PM
JDFeos

p.5 #14 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

Ralph Conway wrote:
Maybe we live in different "real worlds" .
I tested three different bodys in my real world. Outer points work better than my 5D IIs. The center point was fantastic. No hunting and immediate locking. But maybe those three bodies have been special manufactured ones for presentation?

Ralph

Ralph you as an experienced Canon user should know at this point that with Canon sometimes being locked doesn't actually mean it's focused/locked where you intended for. I have yet to see the level of precision this new AF is capable with large aperture primes.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.5 #15 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

JDFeos wrote:

That would have done it for me (and I would have been a happy 6D owner).
Heck, even 11 cross points with a double-cross center point would have been good enough.

+1000. Multiple AF points help not just with tracking but also with accuracy when using fast primes.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.5 #16 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

JDFeos wrote:
Ralph you as an experienced Canon user should know at this point that with Canon sometimes being locked doesn't actually mean it's focused/locked where you intended for. I have yet to see the level of precision this new AF is capable with large aperture primes.

You are absolutely right with this argument. It was/is a horror, to "test" this camera, not beeing allowed to put in a memory card and take the pictures home for checking.
Will be possible soon.

Nov 20, 2012 at 08:04 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.5 #17 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jorkata wrote:
Heck, even 11 cross points with a double-cross center point would have been good enough.

I find it bizarre that the entry level D-Rebel gets a 9 point, all crossed, AF sensor but the more expensive 6D merely gets an 11 point, single crossed, AF sensor.

Almost seems like someone has fallen asleep at the wheel.

Nov 20, 2012 at 08:28 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password