Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · White Balance Sunset Point

Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · White Balance Sunset Point

Ben and I have both struggled with taking photos at Sunset Point, Capitol Reef. This is a tough area to shoot especially at sunset. The view from this point faces east and there is no direct view towards the setting sun. I have processed several images from this location and this morning found one I overlooked. This is another example where among other issues setting the WB seems to be a challenge. I haven't done a lot to this except for raising the kelvin in ACR.

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi    EF-S15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens    24mm    f/7.1    1/25s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:07 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · White Balance Sunset Point

Hi Jim, I know just where you were standing here. But I never had any doubts about WB here. I usually trust my auto WB and my processing usually adds saturation.

My camera almost always needs to have the blue channel desaturated afterward and sometimes the magenta. I have actions for that and do it globally. I sometimes see blue rocks or blue branches before I do this and I have a fully calibrated system including the camera.

For landscapes, color accuracy is not my goal, but to borrow from Kent, believability is.

The above image is very believable. But remember, I failed the color test.

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:21 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · White Balance Sunset Point

Or, you could go for sunset drama....

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:04 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #4 · White Balance Sunset Point

Karen, thanks. Yes I would probably also pump it up a bit if I decided to print. I like your version. I could probably come up with something similar with a handful of tries and a couple of hours pp work.

Also, I forgot to mention the moon issue. The original moon was totally blow yellow/white. I dropped in the moon from a properly exposed image taken with a much longer focal length. I located it on top of the original and left it about 30-50% larger. It looked totally fake. By the time I pumped up the brightness, it looked more natural but the details were all but blown out. Should I work on this or just leave the moon as a bright spot?

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:23 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · White Balance Sunset Point

I like Karen's rendition, but I think I would lose the moon. I don't think it adds much, and it does not look quite believable.

Nov 17, 2012 at 08:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · White Balance Sunset Point

In general, it looks more authentic if the moon is behind some clouds rather than on top of them.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · White Balance Sunset Point

Took a stab at it.

This one has very little color correction to it ... mostly just a little desaturation in the red and a little sat boost in yellow and some sharpening. It's just S&P to taste from there.

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #8 · White Balance Sunset Point

As long as I am still getting help with this image. I thought I should post the OOC with
As Shot WB and also a shot of the moon taken a few minutes earlier. I still think this image needs a moon and would like to be able to see at least some moon features other than a blown yellow light. Thanks to all for the help so far.

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi    24mm    f/7.1    1/25s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi    76mm    f/7.1    1/125s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Nov 18, 2012 at 01:12 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · White Balance Sunset Point

Okay ... composite isn't my thing, but here's a stab.

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:27 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password