Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Skyward ...

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Skyward ...

Vertical Pano Stitch ... about 7 images.

Kinda hard to show at this size with making it a mile tall, but you get the gist.

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:47 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Skyward ...

That's a neat image, but why did you need a 7 image stitch? Does not seem to be enough detail to require it unless in the very bottom which we can't really see here.

I see some horizontal banding, perhaps the effect of such a severe compression.

I like the sky gradient.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:49 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Skyward ...

Out shooting with an 80mm lens (landscape orientation) ... gave it a whirl.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:19 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Skyward ...

Ok, I thought maybe it was focal length limit related. Whats the aspect ratio here? I have a hard time with horizontal panos wider than about 2x1 But this may work in a vertical if you had a wall high enough to hang it:-)

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Skyward ...

This is right @ 3:1. Plenty of sky above to take it out to about 4.5:1 if I were so inclined.

I'd like to try one with an astro sky ... but nothing dark enough around here.

FYI .. inspiration from your "Museum"

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:50 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Skyward ...

Still trying to define that style. Was this in full dark? The clouds make me think otherwise but hard to tell.

I have to decide if I want to go all the way here. Have a camera modified etc. I am not going to try tracking, but I could see having an older camera astro-moded with a sensor cooler and special filter in place of the AA. But finding dark skys is tough and the best time is winter Brrr.

Anyway, I am glad it inspired something.

Nov 16, 2012 at 04:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Skyward ...

No ... just golden hour and a corresponding gamma/contrast.

Kinda the inverse of night shots looking day vs. day looking night. Would like to have some stars, but too much fill light from the sun for them to shine through. I need to find a REALLY BIG flag/gobo to help control that.

Nov 16, 2012 at 07:14 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Skyward ...

Very different and very nice. The experiment was a success!

Scott

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Skyward ...

Thanks Scott, glad you like it.

Interesting to note ... PS would only stitch the bottom two frames together. It left the remaining frames full (with a gap between each) and I had to manually reposition each layer.

The banding that Ben mentioned ... I'm not sure if that was the product of that layer being not lined up right (I had trouble with one of them), compression, or PP. My guess is they all played their part. These were from the small jpgs, so that doesn't help matters either, but I've got the RAW's should I decide to take it to print.

BTW ... this turned out to be a very dangerous shot.
Be warned that should you do it, you'll quickly find out just how dirty your sensor really is.

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:04 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Skyward ...

Hi Kent, my moonscapes tend to be wide open, f2.8 usually or f4 if I am using my TSE lens. So I don't see any dust. But a solid or near solid color is a challenge for the sensor. If you have ever taken dust shots of a solid white object at f22 and then run autolevels, you see more artifacts than dust. Some stuff is just sensor patterns light fall off, bands lines etc.

I seldom shoot past f8 these days and believe I get a cleaner image and not just due to detraction. At f22, I have 10 minutes worth of dust bunnies. Time to send the camera in and it will come back with a mere 6-7 dust bunnies.

Nov 17, 2012 at 03:27 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Skyward ...

Speaking of moons....

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:09 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password