Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D3, Aperture, NIK, and Lightroom...

sailingpilot
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3, Aperture, NIK, and Lightroom...

I was happy to get my new 5D3 until I tried to open the files in Aperture version 2.1.4 - I was not happy to find out I need Aperture v. 3 or later to open the RAW files.

I also use NIK's Complete Collection of plug-ins for Aperture.

So now I need to address the host program for the plug-ins. If I upgrade to Aperture v.3, will my current library follow to the upgrade? Thoughts on Aperture 3 from users?

Is it worth going with Aperture v.3, or moving to Lightroom's latest, and again, will my current Aperture library be read by Lightroom? I can keep Aperture v.2 for use with my older RAW files if need be.

In either case, Aperture 3 or Lightroom 4, NIK tells me I will have to re-install the plug-ins...

Thanks in advance
Gregg

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:08 PM
matthewbmedia
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3, Aperture, NIK, and Lightroom...

Aperture 3 is a must have upgrade from v2. If Noise removal in app is important to you Lightroom 4 is better. I tend to prefer apertures raw decode of my 5d3 files over ACR, along with the non-linear workflow of aperture over LR.

Brushing on a curves adjustment layer in aperture 3 seals the deal for me - I save a ton of drive space not needing PSDs to do selective dodging and burning.

I expect aperture 4 to come out and have no fears of apple "abandoning it". Just look at any recent tv spot of their hardware and what apps they feature.

The safest upgrade path is to use referenced masters and "move" the images out of the library into a subfolder structure using the File->Relocate masters command. This way the upgrade process will not duplicate your entire library images and all, just the metadata in the library. This makes backing up the v2 library very simple and quick. You want to do this before installing aperture 3 - although You can have both installed at once if you rename aperture 2. The only conflict you'll run into is that each app will overwrite each others prefs.

And as always you want to disable all the "auto" stuff in preferences - faces, places, preview generation, etc.

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:52 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3, Aperture, NIK, and Lightroom...

with my 5D III I get the cleanest RAW conversions with the current Canon DPP & Aperture 3

Photoshop CS6 Adobe Camera Raw does not produce the same clean images. I get more pattern noise in skies, more noise overall, and incorrect colors.

but YMMV

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sailingpilot
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3, Aperture, NIK, and Lightroom...

Thanks for the replies. I am currently using DPP to convert 5D3 files to a TIFF file, which I can then import into Aperture for processing. I find this to be a little cumbersome, and the TIFF files are huge. The upside to this is it forces me to cull everything except what I absolutely want to save. I have to say that the final processed product doesn't look too bad, but I hate DPP, and am very used to Aperture.

So I suppose if I want to upgrade to Aperture v3, I have to relocate each and every master, one at a time, to another folder? Or to a separate folder for each project?

This wil be interesting...

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3, Aperture, NIK, and Lightroom...

Just upgrade to Aperture 3. It produces very nice 5D III RAW conversions.

Nov 20, 2012 at 01:39 AM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D3, Aperture, NIK, and Lightroom...

One of the biggest benefits of aperture is drive space -> aka no TIFFS and only extra versions on export.

The selective brushing is a must have.

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:02 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password