Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Fenced In

Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fenced In

Something different ...

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi    35mm    f/10.0    1/40s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:40 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fenced In

Nice patterns and texture.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fenced In

Interesting - stepping out of the box, I can see this being used in composites.

How did you do this?

Bob

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:00 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fenced In

Bob Jarman wrote:
Interesting - stepping out of the box, I can see this being used in composites.

How did you do this?

Bob

Bob, I have attached the original image. Can you guess how this was done? I will leave this up for a few hours so some of the forum regulars can take a guess. Then I will describe the workflow steps which are quick and simple.

Any ideas how to make this more interesting?

EDIT: BTW this is a ceiling decoration at the BWI airport. I took this a few years ago so I can only assume it is still there. Location was on the second floor at the end of the main terminal building near the light rail station.

Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi    35mm    f/10.0    1/40s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:08 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fenced In

Neat patterns. I used to do C++ programs just for fun to draw stuff like this. No clue how you did it however. I see elements for the first in the second, but do not see how you did them.

Nov 15, 2012 at 02:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fenced In

It is very unlikely anyone would guess this technique so I might as well explain.

Recently I posted an image of Mesa Arch which was generated by assembling two mismatched images using Photoshop panorama stitching. If you try to use the panorama programming on mismatched images, Photoshop will not process and will display a message that the images do not match. The panorama program does include an option for manually aligning the images. If you perform that step then Photoshop will utilize the content aware algorithms to generate an image. The content aware will take elements from both images and combine them in some logical order with seamless transitions. I made a mirror image of the original image, then aligned them with a great deal of overlap. The stitch created a very pleasing composite. I then made another mirror image 90 degrees from the first mirror composite. This time I aligned the images to leave a large open area. The panorama program combined and wove together the stray pieces of chain link fence to create the final image. The final image was very symmetrical and looked very much like some sort of mirror image. In order to break the symmetry, I used Distort-Liquify and added lots of gentle soft warps and swirls. Hopefully I broke the symmetrical feel without being obvious.

This was done as an exercise to utilize these tools. I am not sure I have much interest in the final result but the content aware functions in Photoshop are clearly powerful. I hope to find better uses for them.

Nov 15, 2012 at 04:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fenced In

Jim, thanks for the explanation, and this was a great exercise on your part.

Nov 15, 2012 at 05:03 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fenced In

Here is another example of what can be done with this technique.

Canon EOS REBEL T3i    EF-S60mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens    60mm    f/25.0    1/160s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:26 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fenced In

Cool image. I was going to guess something much simpler for the method... The bottom left quarter of your final image matches the bottom half of your original so I would have guessed that you simply took your bottom half and mirrored it up then mirrored the result to the right. Would be interesting to see the difference between what you got and this method.

Fun stuff!

Rob

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:32 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fenced In

Rob, take a careful look at the chain link between the two posts on the left and also on the right. It appears that Photoshop wove a new pattern and I doubt you could do that by manual alignment. When I did the second stitch with the left and right sides of the image, I did not overlap. I believe that alignment could be done manually. The flower image could also have been done manually. It would be necessary to crop the image very carefully through the center of the stamen and then carefully reassemble. With pano stitching, I did not need to crop. I did an approximate alignment and then photoshop did the final alignment and seamless blending. This technique is even more powerful when using non mirror images. Like my Mesa Arch image, you can stitch together quite different images and get an interesting seamless blend. Next example I will do that instead of stitching mirrors.

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:13 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password