Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Profoto Acute 2R vs AcuteB2 Air

BostonGreg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto Acute 2R vs AcuteB2 Air

I recently sold my Elinchrom Ranger Quadra setup to upgrade to Profoto. I'm a photog student at Boston University's CDIA and I get some really great prices on Profoto gear thru B&H EDU Advantage program.

I had my heart set on the Profoto Acute 2R 1200 s/s 2 Head Value Kit for $3000.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/239611-STUD/Profoto_900795_Acute_2R_2_Head.html/mode/edu

I just came across the new Profoto AcuteB2 600 Air power pack and wondering if this would be a better kit for me. And did I just miss out on getting the free $850 AcuteB head deal? Looks like thru July Profoto was offering free AcuteB head with purchase of B2 Air pack.

I'll be using the pack 75% for indoor portraits and taking on location 25% (mostly outdoor sessions in the city). From what I gather the B2 is very comparable to the Elinchrom Quadra and made to be a portable/location lighting solution. Looks like it also only has ability to power one head?

This will be my first Profoto purchase and i want to get the right setup. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am also very interested in purchasing the ring flash down the road and curious if that will work with the B2 pack? I'm guessing it's all about size and portability. Is the Acute 2R 1200 so heavy that I will not be able to take on location? Thanks in advance for any help!

-Greg

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Deezie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto Acute 2R vs AcuteB2 Air

The 600R is terrific for location shooting. If you're comfortable shooting with just one light, then it's an awesome, set of gear to have. Since you're shooting indoors most the time, the Acute pack would offer more flexibility, and you can always rent the 600R with a B head. In LA, the 600 pack rents for $35/day, and with the head it's about $50, so that's not too imposing for your occasional exterior shoots.

Also, if you buy Acute 2R, perhaps you can save up for an inexpensive portable lighting package from Calumet like the one below for $399. At 300 ws, it could suffice for the occasional outdoor shoot.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/calumet_genesis_300b_with_power_port_battery_system/cf0506k?cm_mmc=NMAIL_GENESIS-300B_121107&cm_ven=Cheetahmail

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:39 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto Acute 2R vs AcuteB2 Air

Thats great advice, thanks! Wow, those Calumet & Adorama kits are decent for such short money!

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:43 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto Acute 2R vs AcuteB2 Air

Greg,

Profoto runs promotions regularly, but you may need to wait a year for the free head (a free head was offered this year for AcuteB and Acute2). I don't know about student pricing, but Pocketwizard versions like Acute2R have a stiff premium of about $700 - Profoto is pushing their own Air wireless control. If you can accept a single light, the AcuteB2 is the best route for convenience and sheer cuteness. The LiFe battery is superior to SLA in every way except upfront cost. All Acute heads including ringlight will work with this battery pack, although without modelling light.

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:54 AM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto Acute 2R vs AcuteB2 Air

I recommend to get a Profoto Pro-Series generator with ProHeads! Buy the right gear from the start of your career. The only exception i made are the D1 monolights and the AcuteB2-600. They are just way too handy and portable. I donīt see this with the Acute pack system. The D1 and AcuteB2 also power down low enough for working with wider apertures or higher ISO in low light.

Nov 15, 2012 at 07:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ltlouis96
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto Acute 2R vs AcuteB2 Air

I use the same education discount at B&H. with the student discount they don't give you the bonus head. What I did I got the beauty dish and send in the rebate for $50 so I end up paying $228. I have the acute pack with two heads but if you check on this board you can get a great deal than buying it from B&H. Spend your money in the modifiers because it's a great deal with the discount and rebates that profoto is offering.

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:38 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto Acute 2R vs AcuteB2 Air

Dergiman- what do you mean by pro-series generator? Is the Acute 2R battery considered pro? I'm not in the position to buy one of the $600 batteries and honestly it would be total overkill. I have a small 12x10 foot bedroom studio so I think the 1200 will be plenty

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Dergiman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto Acute 2R vs AcuteB2 Air

By Pro-Series i mean the Profoto products that are labeled "Pro" like the Pro-8, Pro7a, Pro-7B, Pro-B3AirS, Pro-B4AirS with ProHeads. The ProSeries and the Acute-series are not interchangeable with only a few exceptions like the D4 generator and striplights, sticklight and some others.

Nov 17, 2012 at 04:34 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Profoto Acute 2R vs AcuteB2 Air

Unfortunantly I dont have $10k for a pro pack and heads right now. I went with the Acute 2R 1200W/s kit and two 3' Octa's. I pre-ordered the new Think Tank Airport Roller that zips open front and up top. Its a perfect travel kit for this setup and so I'll have the perfect studio setup and a great on location kit. The 1200 pack is surprisingly light and I'm very happy with the purchase

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:04 AM
James10013
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Profoto Acute 2R vs AcuteB2 Air

If you can take advantage of student pricing, the Broncolor Senso 2 head kit should be on your radar screen. At a tad over $2600 (thanks to the EDU program) its a very compelling alternative.

Nov 21, 2012 at 09:08 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password