Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mournful Bear...

JeffAC

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mournful Bear...

Hi all -

First time posting here. I would like to get some constructive feedback on a couple of black and white shots I'm working on.

I have my preference and I think I know what, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

- Jeff

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:30 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mournful Bear...

I think the first.

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:38 PM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mournful Bear...

As is the first is better. Both can be improved by fine tuning. The second needs the most work because the background and also the rock on the left are way too light and draw our attention from the bear. I would also gray out some of the background on the first image.

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JeffAC

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mournful Bear...

Thank you both for your input.

I, too, prefer the first. The tighter crop gives more for the eye to work with and the lighting is a bit moodier, fitting the mood of the bear. I'm fairly happy with it, although surely improvements can be made.

The second one is flatter, and has both more monotony (wall of gray to the left) and distractions (light at the top). I'll probably increase the contrast on the lower end and crop in a bit tighter to get rid of the stuff at the top.

I was mainly focusing on demonstrating tonality and sharpness in these. The first definitely wins on both fronts there, I think.

Thanks again!

- Jeff

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:01 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mournful Bear...

I love the eyes in the 2nd one though. Very good.

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:58 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mournful Bear...

Welcome.
How did you find fm?
Your images:
Both are very nice images, very good conversions.
First for me. I like tight crops. You could loosen it slightly but it works. Excellent detail, expressions in both.
Second feels like it would improve with less on the left where there really isnt much to offer. Maybe eliminate about half of the distance between the frame edge and the face. I agree with toning down the brightness as well. A bit of vignetting would further bring the eye in, reduce some brightness in the corners.
Finally, I havent checked, but do you have a true black point in both?

Scott

Nov 15, 2012 at 06:42 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password