Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Fallen Leaves

jtchuk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fallen Leaves

Just a couple of shots from a recent hike. An attempt at showing some of the textures of the forest in fall. Critique away!

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:42 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fallen Leaves

The second image leaves my eyes to wander in search of a visual nexus. The first I quite like. Flaunts the rule dead-center is deadly and kicks sand on it. Might have been slightly better if the stem of the leaf was sharp and it might benefit from a little rotation. To illustrate rotation:

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:15 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fallen Leaves

Nice eye.

Both are nice ... the first one playing more with texture, the second more with tones.

Not much to critique ... only preferences @ desired presentation.

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:49 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fallen Leaves

The second image is a bit too cluttered for my taste. I do like the first image. As far as I am concerned no arbitrary rules have been broken. You merely centered the leaf which immediately draws and holds our attention.

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fallen Leaves

I think part of the reason why the "centered" leaf works here, is that you aren't "stuck" at the centered leaf.

The leaf obviously draws us into it ... but when you do leave the leaf, you encounter the bark, and you now have something to explore besides the central subject. Take a trip around the leaf, and at virtually any point, you can continue your trip around, via the bark ... or return to the leaf.

For far too many "centered" subjects (imo), the problem isn't as much with the central location, as it is with the negative space has nothing to offer us of interest ... thus leaving us to only "look at" the central subject, for which we quickly tire.

The second one ... I can see that one as being a labor of love for a Jon Cone print ... i.e. much goodness to be treated with care. Both could be very nice prints given proper consideration @ careful printing considerations / choices / decisions.

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fallen Leaves

Lovely B&W conversion. #1 is stronger, I love its simplicity.

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:37 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fallen Leaves

dmacmillan wrote:
Lovely B&W conversion. #1 is stronger, I love its simplicity.

+1.
And the bit of rotation Karen added makes it more dynamic.
Second is processed very well but less engaging, more jumbled.

Scott

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:46 PM
jtchuk

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fallen Leaves

Appreciate all of the feedback! Karen, the image rotation most definitely seems to improve the first image.

My interest is peaked by the varied reactions to the second image. This is an image where I was trying to convey the textures and tones produced by the damp roots and fallen leaves and I felt content with the result but was unsure of how others would react without a more concrete point of interest.

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:48 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fallen Leaves

Going against the tide, I prefer #2 but would crop something like the attached. I find it much more interesting.

<edit> Ignore browser framing , used "snip" tool

vignette would help here too toning back the leaves on sides

Bob

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:19 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fallen Leaves

I like number one best.

With a little cropping, I also like number two. Doing it like this seems to cut the clutter and emphasizes the textures.

Nov 16, 2012 at 08:48 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password