FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

goosemang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

Man Exercises Rights Granted to Him by Store Return Policy, Message Board Has Hissy Fit Over "Ethics"

news at eleven

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:17 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

tjpenton wrote:
Congrats for your free trial, but I don't see how this business model makes sense for the store you purchased from.

Because you aren't factoring in the other 10 or 100 or 1000 buyers that bought an item because of the liberal return policy but didn't return the item.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM
mancheta
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

This thread has been a bit over the top at times, but I still think other FMers can sift through the less than useful comments for a helpful review of another persons experience.

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:54 AM
Delatant
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

It appears this link got side tracked about "ethics" rather than the original question of "D600 vs D800 first impressions" - would really like to hear about the latter rather than the former!

Nov 16, 2012 at 09:58 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

Delatant wrote:
It appears this link got side tracked about "ethics" rather than the original question of "D600 vs D800 first impressions" - would really like to hear about the latter rather than the former!

I own both. D600 is my backup. Both have very fast autofocus. Files from both are very nice. D800 is my go to camera, but they are both fantastic! Love the custom settings on the d600. Something the d800 is missing! Hate the fact you can't change aperture in Movie mode on the d600, but that is rumoured to be fixed via firmware.

Don't like the fact you can't set the "ok" button on d600 to zoom to specified amount like on the d800. Very handy in live view shooting to toggle back and forth very quickly.

Both have amazing dynamic range! The reason I switched from canon to nikon was for that!

If I had to choose one, I'd choose the d800. We all have different needs though and even though I say I'd choose the d800, I have yet to run into a situation that has needed the d800. Bit of a contradictory statement by me. There is just something about the d800!

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

Wow, the contradictions on the AF capability of the d600 are rather disconcerting. I suppose that it's simply due to user perception and the way they use AF, but it's confusing none the less.

Having used the d300, d700 for years and then acquiring the d7k and d3s this year, there isn't any doubt in my mind that the d7k multi-cam 4800 module isn't as capable, in certain situations, as the d300/d700/d3s multi-cam 3500. I presume the same applies with the updated 3500 and 4800 AF modules in the d800/d4 and d600.

I would find it rather incredible if the only difference between the 2 modules were the number of AF points. I would expect the Pro AF module to work in situations where the other would not. Is that what you folks are seeing or no?

thanks
Kerry

Nov 16, 2012 at 05:52 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

I must say, In general I have to agree with the OP on the focusing. However, I didn't find it so bad that it was blatantly worse than the D700/800. I would say its a bit slower, but needs better contrast to lock.

Nov 16, 2012 at 07:27 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

mancheta wrote:
As I stated in my original post, I never intended on buying the D600 just to return it.

I've been really surprised at all of the flack you took on that.

The dealer makes out either way. Hopefully in long term good will, through providing good customer service. And word of mouth sales.

But also immediately in profit. This is how I would figure it if I were him:

I sold a Nikon D600, so I made 2 units of profit at $2,000 - one for each $1,000, call that 2P.

Now, the customer is looking at a D800. If he buys that at $3,000, I make 3 units, 3P. So I make some additional profit. 3P-2P = +1P

Even if I get the D600 back, I can almost certainly sell it as a "demo" or "used" at my cost. If I am lucky, I can actually make an additional 1 unit of profit.

So he starts out having made 2P. By "upselling" the customer on the D800, he at minimum makes an additional 1P of profit (with no additional net profit on the D600.)

Or, more likely, he makes the additional 1P on the D800, and 1P on the D600 resale, for an additional 2P profit. Plus all of the customer good will, future word of mouth, etc.

If the D800 were in high demand so that he couldn't replace the body he just sold he might be more reluctant. But when he can replace it immediately from Nikon stock, this is really an opportunity for him (especially with the D600 being the newer and likely more in demand body right now.)

I say this as someone with an MBA and 20+ years experience in business, both my own and others. That is the way I would look at it. The current situation is called a "sunk cost" - you can't change the past. The question is what happens going forward.

Cheers!
Michael

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:44 PM
techster82

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

Am I the weird guy in the room because I shoot almost exlcusively with single point AF on my D600?

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Nima M
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

i cancelled my plans for a d800e and picked up a d600. have to say, it feels great!

Nov 17, 2012 at 01:32 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

You people who think the OP should've kept a camera that turned out to suck are bizarre.

Nov 17, 2012 at 04:55 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

techster82 wrote:
Am I the weird guy in the room because I shoot almost exlcusively with single point AF on my D600?

weird ? nope. I get the impression from these forums that most people use or recommend using a single AF sensor. Certainly works for some and perhaps for everyone in some situations, but you're ignoring a potentially very useful feature that would help the camera to keep track of the intended subject even if/when you can't.

Overall I find expanded AF to be more useful than detrimental.

- Alan

Nov 17, 2012 at 09:59 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

Lee Saxon wrote:
You people who think the OP should've kept a camera that turned out to suck are bizarre.

suck ? Did he mention that ?

If you're referring to the left-side AF issue then it seems to have been fixed (or is fixable). A recent purchase of new stock should be quite ok.

- Alan

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

Lee Saxon wrote:

I guess the concept of "ethics" is simply beyond some people's ability to grasp...

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:48 PM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

Costco has had an even more liberal return policy on some other items....on appliances,
you can return them anytime, even 10 years after purchase....I have a refridgerator from
them and we fully intend to return it because it was a cheap piece of junk and is falling
apart after 5 years. Obviously, they won't try to resell it. In the case of the camera, they
will probably sell it at a good discount as an open box item....so nobody really loses....Costco isn't exactly inthe poor house.

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:12 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

echelonphoto wrote:
Costco has had an even more liberal return policy on some other items....on appliances,
you can return them anytime, even 10 years after purchase....I have a refridgerator from
them and we fully intend to return it because it was a cheap piece of junk and is falling
apart after 5 years. Obviously, they won't try to resell it. In the case of the camera, they
will probably sell it at a good discount as an open box item....so nobody really loses....Costco isn't exactly inthe poor house.

90 days for cameras.

brad

Nov 20, 2012 at 09:41 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

echelonphoto wrote:

I have to say, at 5 years into a fridge, you have actually used a large portion of that items life in normal terms. How then, can you feel in the least bit ok with trying to return it?

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Nima M
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · D600 vs D800 first impressions

DavidWEGS wrote:
I have to say, at 5 years into a fridge, you have actually used a large portion of that items life in normal terms. How then, can you feel in the least bit ok with trying to return it?

Because Costco doesn't seem to mind?

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:21 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.