Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

ukphotographer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

Metal beauty dish as a heat sink? First time I've heard that.

My metal grid reflectors have oversized mounts with an air gap to allow airflow, even with there being holes in the grids.

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:51 PM
jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

ukphotographer wrote:
Metal beauty dish as a heat sink? First time I've heard that.

My metal grid reflectors have oversized mounts with an air gap to allow airflow, even with there being holes in the grids.

i think it's critical on a 7 or 8.5" reflector though because of the small area. I don't leave the modeling lights on when I have a grid on the light. Are you using buff lights?

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:01 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.2 #3 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

jzucker wrote:
I don't leave the modeling lights on when I have a grid on the light. Are you using buff lights?

No. I use Bowens with 275W modelling lamps.

If you don't leave the modelling lights on with grids, then you shouldn't with a sock. A sock will let less air flow than grids.

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:09 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #4 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

ukphotographer wrote:
No. I use Bowens with 275W modelling lamps.

If you don't leave the modelling lights on with grids, then you shouldn't with a sock. A sock will let less air flow than grids.

I should do some test shots without the sock and see how much difference it makes. Maybe leaving off the sock would be a quick solution if the light's not too harsh...

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:13 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #5 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

just talked to the service manager at elinchrom. He thinks the 600 RX will behave exactly the same as the BXRI-500. He said the thermal protection should have kicked in and shut off the light before it melted. Sounds like a bug in the thermal protection circuit but he wouldn't say that. He's going to talk to the elinchrom USA rep and get back to me but elinchrom/manfrotto service is very poor at returning calls so I'm not holding my breath.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:07 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #6 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

And Kacey who makes the beauty dish confirmed that they use the Einstein and/or Profoto with their dish and the sock with a 250w modeling light for hours on end and have never so much as had a thermal shutdown, much less a melt-down.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:10 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #7 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

just got off the phone with the elinchrom import/export manager. He's emailing elinchrom in europe to see if they have any reports of this issue. His understanding is that the thermal protection should be kicking in prior to the plastic melting in the bulb assembly, not to mention the circuit board.

He countered the service manager and said that the 600 *would* run cooler because it's fan runs full time.

His suggestion was to switch to the Ranger Quadra.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:55 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

So ... what engineering / design difference did he indicate the Ranger Quadra has over your current lights that would mitigate the issue from happening on the Quadra, yet has allowed it to occur on the BXRI-500?

Nov 12, 2012 at 09:11 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #9 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

RustyBug wrote:
So ... what engineering / design difference did he indicate the Ranger Quadra has over your current lights that would mitigate the issue from happening on the Quadra, yet has allowed it to occur on the BXRI-500?

25W LED modeling light on the quadra generates significantly less heat.

Nov 12, 2012 at 09:15 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.2 #10 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

jzucker wrote:
the speedo is metal, right? I think the metal dish might help dissipate the heat.

Yep..don't think that's it though..I think it's purely an airflow thing.
I've never had it shut off the modeling light because it was too warm when it's gridded...only socked. I usually run it gridded, but on this one occasion, the model/MUA preferred the wider spread of it socked. The down angle is similar to previous usage, so the only real difference was sock vs. gridded...

And the Quadra's 25W LED won't be bright enough IMHO. I run the 250W modeling lamp at full power and when you're gridded, it's just bright enough for me...
Look into a pack/head system w/ a full 250W modeling lamp and you'll probably be happier...maybe the Elinchrom Rangers instead, or if you can be less mobile, some old Speedo pack/heads that should fairly cheap...

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #11 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

i don't want to mix modifier mounts and I don't want to throw more good money after bad so I'm hesitant to reward elinchrom with another big purchase. Particularly when the same dish was working perfectly with the AB lights before I got the elinchrom.

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:26 AM
tedwca
• •
p.2 #12 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

you might want to look at the socks from Mola, they are perforated to allow airflow that normal socks don't.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/654502-REG/Mola_LW001_LW_Diffuser_for_Demi.html

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:27 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.2 #13 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

In another post you had made some time back, the issues surrounding this purchase were brought up and at that time... I believe I had posted more or less the following.

It's great to have a snappy impressive 'name brand' type system.. as I have 8a Air system here for larger projects and have used Eli equipment for years here. My issue with these places NOW is........ reliability and cost vs. ownership+time= ?

Although your warranty is covering you now. What about after ? And at what cost will it take to bring your investment back from the dead after that period? And is it justifiable to make that further investment.

TO ME, after the sale and warranty is second ONLY to features and usability to my needs. After numerous off warranty repairs of these 'name brand' systems, and the enormous costs associated with each repair. There is a point on the curve where the ends don't justify the means.

Although I have to have a larger power system with the 8a's here. If Buff offered a comparable system with all the options, I would have bought into that. But the main lights and work horse models here are now the E640's with the t.1 durations and the upgradable features/firmware.

I won't be raped anymore (after 30 years) by "high end" "name brand" lighting companies. Buff's joint has a strong rep for the warranty and cost vs. workability/initial investment with his products and to take it further is (IMHO) senseless.

With the alteration of a 'Deep-Octa' here for the E640's... I'm not only a happy chappy with the collection of kit and versatility of the same... I sleep better knowing a crash isn't going to place me in the loss column for the month due to a circuit issue.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:20 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #14 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

OK, much as I hate to admit it you were right.

Just curious how you adapted the octa products to the buff mount?

John Skinner wrote:
In another post you had made some time back, the issues surrounding this purchase were brought up and at that time... I believe I had posted more or less the following.

It's great to have a snappy impressive 'name brand' type system.. as I have 8a Air system here for larger projects and have used Eli equipment for years here. My issue with these places NOW is........ reliability and cost vs. ownership+time= ?

Although your warranty is covering you now. What about after ? And at what cost will it take to bring your investment back from the dead after that
...Show more

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:28 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #15 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

tedwca wrote:
you might want to look at the socks from Mola, they are perforated to allow airflow that normal socks don't.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/654502-REG/Mola_LW001_LW_Diffuser_for_Demi.html

i couldn't see the perforations in the picture. Does it have holes in it or what?

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:29 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.2 #16 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

jzucker wrote:
Just curious how you adapted the octa products to the buff mount?

Kacey had a $90 adapter that lets you use Elinchrom mods w/ the Balcar/PCB mount...

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:54 PM
tedwca
• •
p.2 #17 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

kenyee wrote:
Kacey had a $90 adapter that lets you use Elinchrom mods w/ the Balcar/PCB mount...

Actually, Elinchrom makes a Octa speedring just for Buff. They also make it for other brands as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887642-REG/Elinchrom_el_26534_Rotalux_Speed_Ring_For.html

The Mola sock does have perforations that allow airflow. The mola website has better images of it.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:37 PM
JohnC
• •
p.2 #18 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

Are you using these lights with batteries. I have both bxri and rx and the bxri should not be used with batteries from what I have been told.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:59 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.2 #19 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

no, a/c only

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.2 #20 · ARGHHHH...A 2nd Elinchrom BXRI-500 bit the dust

tedwca wrote:
Actually, Elinchrom makes a Octa speedring just for Buff. They also make it for other brands as well.

I thought not all Elinchrom modifiers had a removable speedring?
And the D-O was in this short list? The huge El-Octa does have a removable speedring IIRC...

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:45 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password