FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Reflection Falls.

andyjaggy82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Reflection Falls.

http://www.marcadamus.com/photo.php?id=512&gallery=newwork

I take you took some inspiration from Marc Adamus?

Honestly I find the little reflected pool distracting as well. I didn't like it in Marc's image and I don't like it here either. It feels forced to me, but then again I'm just not a huge fan of extreme extreme wide angle type shots like that.

That said though the rest of the image is wonderful.

Nov 14, 2012 at 03:15 PM
roman.johnston
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Reflection Falls.

andyjaggy82 wrote:
http://www.marcadamus.com/photo.php?id=512&gallery=newwork

I take you took some inspiration from Marc Adamus?

Honestly I find the little reflected pool distracting as well. I didn't like it in Marc's image and I don't like it here either. It feels forced to me, but then again I'm just not a huge fan of extreme extreme wide angle type shots like that.

That said though the rest of the image is wonderful.

Seems like many people are a bit wound up about the comparison...who cares if that is where he got his motivation? Marc's work stands on its own and motivates a lot of us. Where would this forum be if everyone brought up the same issue when a tripod rested on the same spot as someone elses.

How many shots of Mormon Row...or arches NP have we seen here in the forum?

Even Peter Lik eventually came up with the same composition as I have for my "under the canopy" shot...did he copy me...or did he find his own composition that was the same beauty I saw years before? Who knows?

Tis what is it.....good on both of them for seeing and recording a beautiful scene.

Good on Peter...good on me....good on you.

There is room enough for all of us here whether we find our own motivation...or from others.

Roman

Nov 14, 2012 at 04:32 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Reflection Falls.

Nice work....MA would be proud

aF

Nov 14, 2012 at 06:26 PM
sachman
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Reflection Falls.

wow what an amazing photo!

Nov 14, 2012 at 08:22 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Reflection Falls.

roman.johnston wrote:
Seems like many people are a bit wound up about the comparison...who cares if that is where he got his motivation? Marc's work stands on its own and motivates a lot of us. Where would this forum be if everyone brought up the same issue when a tripod rested on the same spot as someone elses.

Even Peter Lik eventually came up with the same composition as I have for my "under the canopy" shot...did he copy me...or did he find his own composition that was the
...Show more

+1000000000

Nov 15, 2012 at 01:05 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Reflection Falls.

roman.johnston wrote:

Even Peter Lik eventually came up with the same composition as I have for my "under the canopy" shot...did he copy me...or did he find his own composition that was the
...Show more

I wasn't ragging on him for copying Marc. For all I knew he hadn't actually seen that image, thus the question mark at the end of my sentence, and for all I know Marc got that idea from someone else.

My comment that I don't care for the image had nothing to do with the similarities to Marc's image, I simply don't like the little reflecting pool.

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:32 AM
Nancy Asquith
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Reflection Falls.

Wow! I can't remember when I've seen an image more evocative of autumn.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:11 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Reflection Falls.

Very beautiful image

Nov 16, 2012 at 06:16 AM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Reflection Falls.

Nice. Not original, but a beautiful rendition!

Nov 16, 2012 at 07:53 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Reflection Falls.

Matt Anderson wrote:
Nice. Not original, but a beautiful rendition!

Brian is a good buddy of mine, and I felt compelled to respond to this statement. Brian never once stated this is an original composition, so why point this out? Might as well copy and paste this statement and apply to 95% of photos posted online

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Reflection Falls.

Ok.
Very true.
I'll just say, nice work!

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:05 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Reflection Falls.

Fantastic image! I love the image just as it is.
Keith W.

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Bjadelberg
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Reflection Falls.

Dustin Gent wrote:
Brian is a good buddy of mine, and I felt compelled to respond to this statement. Brian never once stated this is an original composition, so why point this out? Might as well copy and paste this statement and apply to 95% of photos posted online

Thanks Dustin I appreciate it I been sick so I was shocked when I came back to read this. Here we go

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:28 PM
Bjadelberg
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Reflection Falls.

I'll I got to say is that I shoot for myself I'm not a pro. I don't teach workshops, I don't have skype accounts teaching processing. I don't have workflow videos that I charge people for. I just like to go out and shoot photos sometimes with friends sometimes by myself. Is that wrong? Truth is I liked MArc's shot from the spring and wondered what it would look like in the fall as I wanted a shot above my fireplace with fall colors in it. I ended up really liking it so I shared it here.

Nov 16, 2012 at 01:49 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Reflection Falls.

Actually, I really like your rendition. Gorgeous colors.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:08 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Reflection Falls.

Beautiful shot Brian, good job
David

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:22 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Reflection Falls.

Bjadelberg wrote:
I'll I got to say is that I shoot for myself I'm not a pro. I don't teach workshops, I don't have skype accounts teaching processing. I don't have workflow videos that I charge people for. I just like to go out and shoot photos sometimes with friends sometimes by myself. Is that wrong? Truth is I liked MArc's shot from the spring and wondered what it would look like in the fall as I wanted a shot above my fireplace with fall colors in it. I ended up really liking it so I shared it here.

Amen brotha! the next hike in will be 4 miles uphill both ways and need waders for a 10 minute exposure

Nov 18, 2012 at 02:43 AM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Reflection Falls.

Absolutely beautiful shot Brian! I love it!!!

As to the inspiration for the shot, a huge percentage of folks on this forum see beautiful shots of a particular locaton and use that as their motivation to go there and shoot it in their own way. I am fairly certain that many forum members know they are going to a particular area and ask for advice, or search for posts related to that area. It's called researching your destination so you are not wandering around blind. Is Brian's shot similar to that of Marc Adamus? Yup. Is it his own take on the same beautiful scene? Absolutely!!! Does it make it any less of a beautiful shot? Nope! I believe the saying goes, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Nov 18, 2012 at 03:58 AM
squirl033
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Reflection Falls.

beautiful shot of Elowah Falls. i tend to agree, the reflection itself is a bit extraneous and distracting, but with a bit of cropping, this would make a lovely horizontal composition with the fall colors framing the falls. when was it taken?? i wanted to shoot this in full autumn color, but when i made it down there, it was well past peak...

Nov 18, 2012 at 03:17 PM
mike reid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Reflection Falls.

who cares where he got his motivation....seriously.

One of the reasons I seldom post here is because of the idolatry, cronyism and old-boy back slapping. I cant count how many times I've seen something mediocre posted and three pages of high fives. All the while I am thinking wow did you even use a camera with a view finder to get that?

Edited on Nov 21, 2012 at 05:03 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.