FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

J_Glowacki
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

I love it when you go on the rides and they make the announcement, No Flash Photography Allowed.

It only takes about 2.5 nano-seconds until the flashes start popping!

Seriously, last trip I took my 5DII, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L and a 580 EXII for fill outdoors.........

Depending on what month you go it can get downright hot, humid and just plain ugly. Whatever you are carrying now becomes multiplied by alot! Got to love the Coca Cola Ice Station @Epcot on those days!!

And, while I didn't bring a tripod I did witness a photographer who was about to go toe to toe with security after being asked repeatedly (more than nicely I'll add) to put his tripod away in a busy area during a busy time. A worker asked first and after numerous refusals security showed up and ushered him off to somewhere in the land of make believe.......

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:58 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

J_Glowacki wrote:
...A worker asked first and after numerous refusals security showed up and ushered him off to somewhere in the land of make believe.......

Little known bit of trivia; Walt Disney World had a residential area with just enough residents to allow the whole complex to be incorporated as a municipality. So, in addition to security officers there are also actual uniformed and plain-cothes police officers on site who have full arrest authority.

Don't mess with The Mouse!

Nov 14, 2012 at 02:54 PM
Gregory Edge
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

I go to Disney often. I own a townhouse in Kissimmee and a Disney vacation club. As for what gear to bring. They do not like tripods. You can use one for the fireworks and show at EPCOT. otherwise they will ask you to put it away. What I do is rent a locker and put my tripod and gear for night photography in there so I do not have to carry it all day. Also I think a good zoom is best on a single body. I usually use my 24-105.

Also what I have done is split up with the kids and just walked around and photographed. Then meet up later. My son is 16 and we have used this plan since he was 10 or so. When he was 10 and 11 my wife stayed with him and I wandered my self for a couple hours once he was 12 he wanted to explore on his own with his friend.

I can tell you this. Sea World is not really a 2 day park. Unless you really love looking at fish. There is so much to see at Disney you will run out of time for Disney alone. Even the different resorts are fun to visit.

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:50 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

RX-100.

Nov 16, 2012 at 02:32 AM
rrxjon
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

The 5D3 and the 40mm pancake (practically) is a point n shoot. And a damn fine one.

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:23 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

I went to Disneyland yesterday, and I've got to say, many of you are much more adventurous than I am!

I debated taking the 5D2 with 24-70L and 50/1.2L. Also prepared the Olympus E-P2 with 12-50 lens. And. . . got the G10 all charged up and ready.

In the end, I took the E-P2, but hardly took any pictures. The camera, additional flash, and battery just added to the annoying weight and bulk of a backpack-type purse (with two water bottles). Going through hour-long lines was pretty awful, and we were there for rides, not photos. Roller coaster-type rides are awkward and tight fitting for a big guy with a bag of gear. The water rides (Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc) are not my idea of fun getting my camera wet.

Next time, if I take a camera, it will be the G10 and no accessories or bag. Travel light for me.

I definitely made the right call not taking the 5D2 + lenses in the Lowepro fanny/belt pack!

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:05 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

I got the EOS-M for just such an occasion.

Dec 09, 2012 at 02:14 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

Gunzorro wrote:
I went to Disneyland yesterday, and I've got to say, many of you are much more adventurous than I am!

Walt Disney World (Orlando) is a whole different World (pun intended) than Disneyland (Anaheim).

Here are a few (highly compressed) shots from a trip I took in 2005 when I had just got my 20D (my first DSLR).

Transportation into the Theme Parks from visitor parking (big ferry), from the resorts (bus), and around Epcot (large water taxi in the evening):

Edited on Dec 09, 2012 at 06:49 PM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:43 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

Epcot: World Showcase

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:45 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

Gotta be ready for stuff you unexpectedly come upon:

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:46 PM
convergent
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

My advice is to travel light and enjoy the vacation. I did Disney with multiple bodies, f/2.8 lenses, etc.. a few times. I have a much better time with a 50D and 18-200 IS... throwing in a 50 1.4 for indoor situations. If I still had that, I'd bring it. With the 5D3, it gets a little trickier since I like to have both wide and long. I might actually spring for the 28-300 for a Disney trip now.

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:52 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

Brian -- Great shots! But where are the billion surrounding people jostling your elbows and clogging your shots?

Yes, I suppose the Epcot is quite different. As you surely know, Southern California parks, such as Disneyland, Magic Mountain and Knott's, are geared to rides. So there is always a crush of people standing in lines (like me!).

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:05 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

Gunzorro wrote:
Brian -- Great shots! But where are the billion surrounding people jostling your elbows and clogging your shots?

The week before Christmas is a slow time (the week between Christmas and New Year is the busiest -- I did that in '06; big mistake). Also I stayed at one of the resorts on site, and had "Extra Magic Hours" before and after regular hours on certain days, so I did most of my photography then, and then dropped most of my gear back in my room and went on the rides and to the shows and such after a rest break. (One of the advantages of going by myself.)

Dec 09, 2012 at 07:16 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

Gunzorro wrote:

BrianO wrote:
The week before Christmas is a slow time (the week between Christmas and New Year is the busiest -- I did that in '06; big mistake).

Of course, even when there are a billion surrounding people, sometimes one can climb a pole or otherwise find a vantage point.

Cinderella's Castle at The Magic Kingdom during WDW's 35th Anniversary:

(I forgot to change my ISO setting from the night before; ISO 1600 on a 20D is lousy, and not needed in this case. Doh!)

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:22 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

acoll123 wrote:
Get the Disney app that tells real-time wait times for the attractions - will help you plan throughout the day. It also maps out bathrooms (critical with kids) and food options.

Considering the trip you have planned, my guess is you're not on a super tight budget... but might still be worth pointing out what a rip-off US data roaming charges are from the Canadian telecoms... unless Disney has free wifi?

BTW, did Disney in Orlando back in the early digital days, just with my GF, so no kids, thankfully... the only digital camera I had then was a 1D and brought along the 16-35 and 70-200/2.8... Wide was a lot more useful than tele. I also did very little photography. TBH, I did not find it an inspiring location. It would probably (certainly) be different with kids. But I just remember by the end of the day (we only did one), even that modest amount of gear was becoming a drag.

If I was to go again... my FF kit would be my M system with a few lenses, otherwise, I'd look into m43, a Sony NEX-6 or RX100.

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:16 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

FWIW, on family trips like this, I only take my s95 P&S. You will miss *so* many more shots that you will gain by having your DSLR.

Think about it... on a kiddie ride and swinging around to take some fantastic snaps of the kids. Don't dare try this with a big camera.

Don't think, just get a great P&S (or, at most, a m4/3) and you will never go back...

greg

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:19 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.