FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

harrygilbert
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

Invertalon wrote:
I would just take one body and the 16-35 and 70-200 (plus extender) and be done.

That's my advice, too. You may want to call before bringing either a tripod or monopod. My suggestion is to use that old standby, the piece of string tied to a 1/4-20 bolt in the camera's tripod socket. That's what I do when tripods and monopods are either prohibited or a pain to lug around.

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/01/26/stabilize-your-camera-for-1-with-a-washer-bolt-and-string/

Nov 11, 2012 at 03:59 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

jeraldcook wrote:
Not yet but I was actually thinking of printing some of these to see how they come out. On-screen I am very impressed with 12,800 when I nailed the exposure. Most of my high ISO shots I took on rides when flash wasn't allowed so they were in very dark environments to begin with. And, in order to get below the 600kb file size limit and stay at 1000px wide I had to drop the quality of the jpegs down to 70-80% so there is better quality to be had.

LR says I have 143 shots between 6500-10,000, 160 shots at
...Show more
would be shots of the kids, so they would probably be between 4x6 to 8x10.

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:17 PM
spdntrxi
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

no way you bring all that gear... you wont enjoy yourself worrying about all you have to worry about when it comes to multiple bodies, lens etc etc.

This is one reason why I got a EOS-M.. going to the normal disneyland soon and there is no way I'm bring my 1DX.

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:19 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

diverhank wrote:
I'd take the 5DMk3 with 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 f/4 (for compactness). For only 2 lenses, I'd skip the 16-35. If you are into birds and gators, I'd recommend visiting Gatorland where there are plenty of gators and egrets competing for tourists' handouts.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7278/7774676292_2d89892fdc_c.jpg
Get Off My Back! by Tongho58, on Flickr

Don't just take a P&S. You'd be beating yourself up afterwards. By the way, from Downtown Disney, you can board one of several boats to go to the half dozen or so of Disney resorts, all for free. The slow boat trips offer quite a number of very unique photo opportunities.
...Show more
Thanks for the suggestions about the boat and Gatorland - hadn't heard of that.

We were really only planning on going to the main Disney park (one with the castle) and Animal Kingom during our five days at Disney and then doing a couple of days at Seaworld. With the kids being 3 and 4/12, we really can't get on any of the rides that would be more restictive with gear anyways.

One thing I am more worried about is that when I booked at the Hilton, the site said it was steps away from Downtown Disney - which i mistook that for being steps away from the main disney park. I figured, we could spend most of the day at disney, walk back to the hotel, have a meal and I'd the tripod for the fireworks. However, looking at the map now, it looks like the main disney park seems to be quite far away from from Downtown disney, which means that it would probably be a waste of time going back and forth.

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:25 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

diverhank wrote:
You are assuming you can't enjoy yourself taking pictures and your family can't enjoy you when you're busy taking pictures using a DSLR. I think it's the opposite. My wife and kids deserved the best possible pictures and they enjoyed being photographed and I know I'm most happy taking pictures. On our recent Orlando/Miami trip, my wife was so happy with the pictures I took of our family, she's encouraging me to buy more stuff...happy all around

I'm with you - personally I HATE theme parks, but am going for two reasons. One, I always wanted to go as a kid and never was able to. And two, with all the disney cartoons/movies, the kids really want to go to the Disney castle. If I am going to go, I want to be able to take the best pics possible. But regardless how good our family pics have turned out, my wife has NEVER said I should buy more gear I'd have so say, you are pretty damn lucky!!!

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:31 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

khurram1 wrote:
We're going to be going to Orlando for a family trip to Disney/Seaworld. I just wanted to get some advice on what gear to take.

A tripod isn't a problem at Walt Disney World, and will allow you to get in on some of your own shots with the family.

They have an excellent (and free) transportation system within WDW to get you from park to park and to the different resorts, with a combination of buses, boats, and monorails. They'll inspect your pack at the entrance to each park, but it goes quickly.

I agree with others that one body and at most two lenses is probably enough, but you can always take more for back-up and leave it at your resort. (See about checking it at the desk if you're worried about theft. I've never had a problem in more than half a dozen trips, but others may worry.)

Nov 11, 2012 at 05:23 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

I just went in September -- I packed light and was very happy. I had a 5D with a 24-105 and a 50mm prime. That's it. For me it was the perfect set up and easy to carry around the parks, and I didn't feel limited by what I had.
Paul

Nov 11, 2012 at 06:37 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

khurram1 wrote:
...One thing I am more worried about is that when I booked at the Hilton, the site said it was steps away from Downtown Disney - which i mistook that for being steps away from the main disney park. I figured, we could spend most of the day at disney, walk back to the hotel, have a meal and I'd the tripod for the fireworks. However, looking at the map now, it looks like the main disney park seems to be quite far away from from Downtown disney, which means that it would probably be a waste of time
...Show more

Downtown Disney is mainly a shopping district, and also has the company headquarters. (I auditioned there in Sept. '06, but turned down the job I was offered because it didn't pay enough to be worth the move.) It only takes 15 - 20 minutes to get from there to most of the theme parks by bus or boat, so don't let that be too much of a worry.

The "main" Disney park -- the one with the castle -- is called The Magic Kingdom, and is one of four theme parks, the others being Epcot, Disney's Animal Kingdom, and Disney Studios. Each has something the little ones would enjoy, and all have a variety of places to eat -- from casual cafeterias to full service restaurants.

I usually schedule one full day at each park, and I eat breakfast at my resort and have lunch and dinner at whichever park I'm visiting that day, or at Epcot. (Half of Epcot is a "World Showcase" with permanent exhibits and shops from several countries, and each has one or more restaurants serving food from that country.)

Make reservations for dining as far in advance as you can, as some of them fill up quickly; Cinderella's Castle at the Magic Kingdom, for example, can be booked for several months in advance.

At Epcot, The Seas with Nemo & Friends is a must see (particularly Turtle Talk With Crush) for children and adults, and dinner at the attached Coral Reef Restaurant is worth the price because you sit below "sea level," with a view into one of the world's largest aquariums...big enough that you can sometimes catch views of SCUBA divers swiming with the sharks and other fish.

Here's a Disney site to help you in selecting things to do and places to go in case you haven't seen it yet:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/

Nov 11, 2012 at 07:09 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

Ok first let me say I've never been to WDW but have been a few times to Disney Paris which is much smaller .
Camera gear: while I would say that a P&S is best most of the time , if you really can't bare the thought of a P&S then by all means take the big gear .although I don't think you really need the 1 series . But I will also say ration yourself to a couple of days with the camera , and only take what YOU are prepared to carry around ALL DAY without having any negative impact on your family.
Having dragged my 40D + 3 zooms (12-24, 24-105 & 80-200L) + 580ex around in a backpack all day (and all the other things that you either start off carrying or acquire throughout the day) and only really using the 24-105 I will say that I could quite happily have tossed the 80-200 in a bin on more than one occasion (and I love my MDP nearly as much as my kids ) .
Don't be the Dad that only sees the event thru the viewfinder . There are many of them and I can tell you they DON'T have the worlds happiest kids .

I think the best compromise is , proper camera for a couple of days and a P&S for the rest. And a P&S that does decent video would be a real plus as well . . Although if you have a good camera phone (eg iPhone) then you could possibly use that

Nov 11, 2012 at 08:08 PM
samwise
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

If I was going to disney land I would get a Fuji X-Pro1 with the 35mm and go to town

Nov 11, 2012 at 08:12 PM
PatrickE
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

If you're staying at the Hilton you ARE just a few steps from Downtown Disney. In addition to all the shops, restaurants, theaters and the LEGO store Downtown Disney has the main bus terminal where you can grab a bus to any of the parks.

Here is another site on Disney World. Lot's of good tips.

http://allears.net

Have a good time.

Nov 11, 2012 at 08:59 PM
Scrappin4utx

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

The best photo advice would echo what others have said....take one body with a wide zoom for most shots & tele zoom/extender for Animal Kingdom's safari ride.

My best theme park advice would be to get to the park when it opens on the day you plan to watch fireworks. Enjoy the park for the first half of the day, take a break & then go back to your hotel for a nap/rest. After a break for a couple of hours, then go back to the park in the early evening to enjoy the fireworks. You, your family & the people around you will be much happier if you don't stay all day...trust me I used to live in FL and visited the parks many times...there's nothing worse than over-tired kids & parents. I used this pattern when we went with my daughter at age 7 and it worked well for all of us.

Have a great time!

Nov 11, 2012 at 09:11 PM
PatrickE
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

Scrappin4utx wrote:
The best photo advice would echo what others have said....take one body with a wide zoom for most shots & tele zoom/extender for Animal Kingdom's safari ride.

My best theme park advice would be to get to the park when it opens on the day you plan to watch fireworks. Enjoy the park for the first half of the day, take a break & then go back to your hotel for a nap/rest. After a break for a couple of hours, then go back to the park in the early evening to enjoy the fireworks. You, your family & the people
...Show more

+1

Nov 11, 2012 at 09:19 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

PeaktoPeek wrote:
I just went in September -- I packed light and was very happy. I had a 5D with a 24-105 and a 50mm prime. That's it. For me it was the perfect set up and easy to carry around the parks, and I didn't feel limited by what I had.
Paul

I agree with this. The 24-105 will give you the versatility you'll need for outdoor shots. The 50mm will give you the low-light capability for the shots indoors.

Nov 11, 2012 at 09:21 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

This thread has me longing for another trip! The last time I was there I still had only my 20D and a single lens (EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS). Now that I have both longer (70-200mm f/4 IS) and faster (50mm f/1.4, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS) lenses, and a 7D, I really need to take another photo trip. Plus, family and friends have been telling me about new attractions that have opened since I was there last. (2006? Has it really been 6 years?)

Nov 11, 2012 at 09:54 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

It has been a while since I took kids to Disney World or Disneyland - my kids are a "bit" older now. However, I would not take a 5D3 plus lenses to these places. If I took that camera, I'd probably just hand the 24-105 on it (maybe with a 50mm prime, too) and not bring anything else - but I'd be awfully tempted to just bring a small, high quality point and shoot. I sure as heck would not bring a tripod!

In my experience, Disneyland is totally not about doing photography, at least not when you go there with kids. Yes, you'll want a camera to grab hand held shots of the family fun, but beyond that the serious gear is an impediment and will likely decrease your enjoyment of your family and the park.

Dan

khurram1 wrote:
We're going to be going to Orlando for a family trip to Disney/Seaworld. I just wanted to get some advice on what gear to take. Ordinarilly, I take all my gear which would mean taking my fully packed Gura Gear pack. The plan was to spend 5 days at Disney and 2 days at Seaworld and 2 days at some of the other attractions or shopping.

However, since I'm more of a landscape guy and Orlando really doesn't strike me as a Landscape type location and this is a trip mainly for my 3 and 4 1/2 year old, I thought
...Show more

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM
vin14
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

In my opinion, take the smallest and lightest kit that will allow you to get images that are acceptable to you. I sold some stuff I wasn't using and got a panasonic G3 / 14-45 / 20mm and a black rapid strap. I left the Canon gear at home and didn't regret it.

Nov 12, 2012 at 08:36 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

vin14 wrote:
In my opinion, take the smallest and lightest kit that will allow you to get images that are acceptable to you. I sold some stuff I wasn't using and got a panasonic G3 / 14-45 / 20mm and a black rapid strap. I left the Canon gear at home and didn't regret it.

Much as I love my Canon FF gear, if I have to walk around all day and get strapped in and out of rides, I want something small. From what I own, I would opt for M43 with 14-42 as my main lens, then a 40-140 in a small belt pouch (if at all). If that seemed too constricted, I would go with the G10.

I would only bring FF gear if I were just doing it as a "photo expedition", not a family amusement park visit.

Obviously, you want to get use out of your 5D3 and/or 1DX, so you'll do whatever you feel most important or interesting.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and the gear you take!

Nov 12, 2012 at 09:50 AM
acoll123
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

I have been to Disney the past 4 years with my wife and 4 kids. I would take your 5dIII and 24-70 for a walk around everywhere. Keep in mind you will also have a bag for all of the other stuff you will need to carry for the kids (varies by age) so adding a camera bag will make walking tiresome. When you go to Animal Kingdom and Seaworld, take the 70-200 in addition to the 24-70 maybe even an extended for the safari ride and (only time you will need it). Go to the Magic Kingdom one night for the parade and fireworks - take a tripod for the fireworks - plan ahead and find a good spot and be prepared to move. It will be crowded and people will stand in front of you.

Use the park photographers for group shots so you can at least be in a few photos with your family. Most of them do this everyday all day long and know the best angle for group shots. If you are worried, just give them your camera, my experience was they were happy to use your camera for the shot if you set it up for them. Make sure you get in some of the pictures or you will regret it. I did but only after the first trip. After that, I started using the park photographers and even (gasp) let my wife hold my camera for a few shots . . .

Take the advice about riding the boats around from place to place - ver cool and some unique photo ops. Get a reservation for lunch or dinner at one of the resorts as an excuse to ride around. But, like someone else said, you can go anywhere on them - they don't check for tickets or other nonsense like that.

Andy

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:10 AM
acoll123
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Gear Advice for Orlando Disney trip

I should have said, take your 5DIII - without the grip, you won't need it and you will appreciate the weight savings. This is main reason I recommend not taking your 1DX.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.