Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

Hi,

I just got an OM-D and am looking for a small bag that would hold the body, and a couple of 4/3 lenses. I want to get something that does not scream camera bag! Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jerry

Nov 11, 2012 at 02:42 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

I like the ThinkTank Retrospective 5.

Nov 11, 2012 at 03:19 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

Here are a few options.
http://www.onabags.com/store/small-goods/the-bowery.html?color=field-tan#field-tan
http://www.crumpler.com/us/Camera-Bags/Camera-Bags/4-Million-Dollar-Home.html?LanguageCode=EN&SKU=MD4002-X01P40
http://www.acmemade.com/product/The-Union-Kit-Messenger,52,13.htm
http://www.geographicbags.us/product/85657.80279.0.0.0/NG%2BW2025/_/Medium_Holster_For_DSLR
http://www.tamrac.com/5423.htm

I just got through a search for the best bag for my OM-D and a few lenses/accessories.
I settled on the ONA Bowery. Good looking, perfect size, nice construction and materials - not a lot of pockets for accessories. Also has a bit of the "man-purse" look, but I think that most of the small shoulder bags have that look.
The Think Tank is bigger, but has more features - otherwise quite similar.

Nov 11, 2012 at 03:49 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

deadwolfbones wrote:

+1 nice little bag, particularly for a little Pentax DSLR, m43 or Leica kit. I just picked one up myself and was a bit surprised by how heavy the bag itself weighs (positive or negative depending on how you look at it). If anything, it has too many pockets.

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:03 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

deadwolfbones wrote:

Tariq Gibran wrote:
+1 nice little bag, particularly for a little Pentax DSLR, m43 or Leica kit. I just picked one up myself and was a bit surprised by how heavy the bag itself weighs (positive or negative depending on how you look at it). If anything, it has too many pockets.

The weight may have been one of the factors for me that led me to believe that it seemed bigger than it actually was. For my small MFT kit, I found it too much bag.
Weights:
Think Tank Retro 5 = 2.3 lbs
ONA Bowery = 1.6 lbs
Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but I was trying to keep things to a minimum - the primary reason I'm using the MFT system.

Here is a review and more pictures of the ONA Bowery:
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/08/22/quick-review-ona-the-bowery-camera-bag/

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

surf monkey wrote:
The weight may have been one of the factors for me that led me to believe that it seemed bigger than it actually was. For my small MFT kit, I found it too much bag.
Weights:
ONA Bowery = 1.6 lbs
Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but I was trying to keep things to a minimum - the primary reason I'm using the MFT system.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/08/22/quick-review-ona-the-bowery-camera-bag/

Yeah, it's really not that big at all but I can see how the weight might lead one to think it is larger. Probably the strap, and particularly the heavy metal buckles contribute a lot (and I think the strap is one of it's best features).

Nov 11, 2012 at 04:33 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

I am using the same bag now for my E-PL3 and lenses as I used to use for my Leica M8, review here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/24846-artisan-artist-acam-7100-mini-review.html

Nov 11, 2012 at 08:16 PM
dukenukem
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

I use Kalahari Molopo K-41 bag:

Video

Nov 11, 2012 at 08:54 PM
Adam211
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

surf monkey wrote:
Weights:
ONA Bowery = 1.6 lbs

That Bowery is tempting. I've been thinking of the F803 or Retro 5. The F803 has the super-stiff top panel, which prevents me from buying it. The Retro 5 seems pretty good sizewise, but is a little bulky (back to front is a bit wide) and quite heavy for its size, and I'm not super keen on the looks although it is nicer than most bags. Still, that seems a great option. But the Bowery looks like a winner. Could it hold a NEX body and 3 small SLR or rangefinder size lenses, or is that a bit much?

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:15 PM
you2
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

I went to a largish store and played with a few bags and found two options. Specifically I was looking for something that would hold the body with a modest size lens (14-45) attached and two additional lenses. I tend to take hikes or long walk where I want to keep the top open and be able to grab lens camera without much fumbling; so the camera sits on top with the lens facing down into a middle container.

Given these objective I came upon two reasonable options aero 36 (tamrac 3336) and domke 700-80; neither is perfect so there might be better options. I specifically ruled out the lowpro offerings (curier 80 and rez 110; the courier 80 would be fine with an ep model but the prisim makes the e-m5 too larger; the rez 110 flap is inconvenient for my style.
--
If I used pancake or very small prime then bags which allow the e-m5 to slide in vertical would be a better fit; but I find it easier to 'grab' the camera when walking if it has the lens facing down and the body is on top (I mentioned this from looking at the picture of the Bowery above where the camera is vertical.
-
This is all a matter of preference and dependent partially on objective and lenses used but I figure providing too much detail was better here. My complaint with the aero 36 is that the top part where the zipper joins is a bit thin and given the camera orientation this means less protection around the prisim area; but the bag is pretty light. The domke is a bit bigger and nearly twice as heavy but doesn't hold much more.

Nov 12, 2012 at 01:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

Very good point about quick access. That's one reason I chose the Retro 5 as it offers very quick access without dealing with zippers/ buckles or latches. In my experience, bags with those type of closures can be fiddly to deal with in the moment. Another thing to consider along the same lines of thought is IF the bag does use a more secure closing mechanism - and one plans on leaving it unbuckled/ latched for quick access - does the top flap cover enough so the camera and gear is not at risk of just falling out!

I do load my cameras (Pentax K-5, DP1M + lenses) in vertically in the Retro 5 with the camera grip of the K-5 at the top, which for me makes it easy to reach in and pull out.

Bags are so subjective when it comes to what works. Like probably most of us, I tend to have a bag fetish and tend to accumulate them over time, thinking each one is going to be THE bag.

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:42 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

I like the Tenba mini messanger back. I can carry the OM-D, three to four lenses and either my iPad and/or my Macbook Air. There's room for accessories as well.

http://www.tenba.com/Products/Messenger-Photo-Laptop-Bag-Mini-Black.aspx

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:25 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

I use Think Tank Retro 5.

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:46 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

I've been using the Lowepro Adventura 120 since I had the EP-2 with VF. It had no problem with the camera + mounted VF and three to four lenses (it's tall enough for a small tele- it had no problem with the Tele-Elmar M 135, for example). It has a front pocket that holds wipes, cards, and spare batteries. The strap's just a thin length of woven nylon with a gripping surface that rests on your shoulder-functional, but not great. I use the strap that came with my small Ape Case Urban (which I use for a larger NEX kit when I need a strobe or more lenses) with the Lowepro.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

I use the Think Tank Retrospective 5 as my main bag, which is small for a shoulder bag, but not super tiny. It holds a lot of gear, though, and is way smaller than what I used to carry. It can hold a body + 4-5 lenses and a flash pretty easily.

When I want to travel light, I use the Lowepro Rezo 110, which can fit my OM-D with Oly 12/2 and 45/1.8 and the PL 25/1.4. It's very small.

When I want to travel SUPER light, I use a little Tenba belt pack that will fit my GX1 with the 12/2 or 45/1.8, and it has a little pouch on the outside that can barely fit the other of those two that isn't mounted.

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:31 PM
Joe K.

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

As an alternative to a shoulder bag, you might want to consider the Think Tank hubba Hubba Hiney with the pro speed belt (though it can be used with a shoulder strap instead). Looks like a fanny pack, keeps the weight balanced on your hips, and allows your arms to move naturally when walking. Rotate it around when you want to shoot, and your other lenses are right in front of you. Being zippered at the top, the access is not as quick as a flap (like on the Retrospective models), but I haven't found it to be a problem. Overall I'm very happy with it, and since it's part of a modular system with the speed belt, I can add an additional pouch when the need arises.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/hubba-hubba-hiney.aspx

Nov 12, 2012 at 09:34 PM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

i had several
now i have secondhand black Billingham L2 / Alice.
if you search they are about ~130
worth any cent.

r

oh i just see they are in the Us for US $199,88 ~150euro new.

Nov 12, 2012 at 09:38 PM
tweggers
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

The Tenba Mini is our choice also. This is what we use to travel through the airports. It'll handle our small laptops also. Day to day we'll use a small sling bag just to carry very small amounts of gear.

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:05 AM
bjornssh
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

Look at the Retro 10, the 5 is just a little small.

Steve

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:40 AM
CVickery
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking for a small bag for OM-D

I have both the Domke F-5XB and F-5XC. The smaller bag fits the OM-D with the 12/2, plus the 75/1.8 and 25/1.4 (all with hoods attached) nicely. If I need more the bigger bag can be used.

Nov 13, 2012 at 05:02 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password