Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Voigtlander Helier Classic 75mm f1.8

mawz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Voigtlander Helier Classic 75mm f1.8

Edwin Ho wrote:
By the way, is there anyone who has experience with the Voigtlander R2M. It is of course much more affordable than any Leica M.

I've shot extensively with the R, which is essentially an R2M with an LTM mount and a lighter build. Nice camera, nice finder. Beware of focus accuracy with faster/longer lenses, it will do fine with a 50/1.4 but you likely will have issues with the 75/1.8 or a 50/1.1 as it just doesn't have enough RF baseline to handle fast & long.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:00 PM
Edwin Ho
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Voigtlander Helier Classic 75mm f1.8

mawz wrote:
I've shot extensively with the R, which is essentially an R2M with an LTM mount and a lighter build. Nice camera, nice finder. Beware of focus accuracy with faster/longer lenses, it will do fine with a 50/1.4 but you likely will have issues with the 75/1.8 or a 50/1.1 as it just doesn't have enough RF baseline to handle fast & long.

Hi Mawz, thanks for the quick response, How serious is the issue regarding focusing issue. I see myself using often the 75/1.8; I do not own a 50/1.4 yet.

Thank you for drawing attention to this.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Voigtlander Helier Classic 75mm f1.8

I was thinking of getting the 75/1.8 which is a true Heliar design. I had thought with modern choices of glass it could still be stellar with a very different drawing style than Zeiss--lower microcontrast but high resolution. Aren't there some recent Cooke triplet lenses that are nice with tall the degrees of freedom offered by the newest glass choices?

The 75/2.5 though labeled Heliar is really double Gauss and just too similar to the Zuiko 85/2. I finally found a CV 90 in OM mount which is APO and quite close focusing --- superb at closer distances and often used wide open when the background is busy and about at 10ft --just the conditions that the Zuiko 85 bokeh gets too edgy for my taste. Still I bet the 75/1.8 is an interesting portrait option.

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:34 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Voigtlander Helier Classic 75mm f1.8

Edwin Ho wrote:
Hi Ron, thanks again for further elaboration on the CV40/1.4, much appreciated. I have now two VC lenses and I am pleasantly surprised by it's quality at a fraction of the price of Leica M lenses.

It is a very idea to start a new thread on RM2.

Seems we might have three directions of discussion going here.

I just wanted to comment on Voigtlander lenses in general. I agree with your assessment about quality for the price. It's definitely the best combination of the two when it comes to new rangefinder lenses. What particularly impresses me are their two latest lenses - the 35/1.2 II and 21/1.8. Of the two, I think the 21 is the more impressive achievement. And it's less expensive! Both are simply excellent for the price. There are differences from Leica and Zeiss in terms of brand-wide Voigtlander rendering characteristics, but it's not necessarily a bad thing, rather, another choice. Where Voigtlander may falter slightly is with brand-wide inconsistency when considering sharpness/resolution performance. One simply must research if a given lens will live up to expectation. With Leica on the other hand, this aspect (sharpness) seems to be pretty much a given. Zeiss is in the middle, but closer to Leica.

It's great to have these choices, especially considering the Voigtlander price points.

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:05 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Voigtlander Helier Classic 75mm f1.8

When I first started looking at lenses for the M mount, I was very interested in the VM, especially the 21/1.8, 35/1.2 II and 75/1.8. However, the manufacturer doesn't publish MTF so I had to pay for a subscription on Reid reviews as he has covered the VM extensively. To be honest, I wasn't impressed.

I agree with Ron that the 21 and 35 seem to distinguish themselves from the rest, but just from the optical performance point of view, I find it often a tie between Leica and Zeiss, some designs being slightly better than others in both, but the VM coming in a distant 3rd and last position.

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:50 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password