Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tell me about printing paper

rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tell me about printing paper

I bought a lightly used Epson 3880 and received a partial box of 17x22 Epson Premium Luster paper. An online search shows 25 sheets of 17x22 paper selling anywhere from $50.00 to about $225.00...What would I get for $225.00 that I couldn't get for $50.00?

Please serious replies only.

Thanks

Rod

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tell me about printing paper

The quality between different papers are huge. I also have the 3880 printer. Most of my printing I do with Ilford Gallerie Gold Fibre Silk Paper. It's a decent priced paper that have very good quality

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:53 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tell me about printing paper

Are print profiles different for each paper?

Nov 10, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tell me about printing paper

Yes, can download print profiles from all the big brands websites

Nov 10, 2012 at 05:21 PM
BakGa

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tell me about printing paper

I have an Epson 3800 printer. I use Epson Ultra Premium Luster paper for most prints. Epson's Exhibition Fiber Paper is used for special prints. It is a heavier weight paper that feels so very professional. I also use Red River papers, in particular, Pecos River Gloss for printing my photos on cards. Envelopes are also available from Red River.

For the last two years, I have stocked up on Epson papers during the Christmas holiday season. If I remember correctly, I go to the Epson website every day of December and there is a different stocking stuffer special. When the paper day comes up, I stock up on my Luster Paper. Helps bring the cost down.

Red River Paper offers several sample packs for reasonable price. You can see on their website which papers are compatible with your printer. Then test out the papers and see what appeals to you.

Yes, you do need to download from the manufacturer of the paper the profile for that paper.

By the way, I only use my 3800 for printing photos. I have another Epson cheaper printer for any text work .

Nov 10, 2012 at 05:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kathy White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tell me about printing paper

Rod, I use and really like the Ilford Galerie Pearl Paper. I get even better results from it than the Canon. I also ordered the sample pack from Red River and their paper that was about the same quality as the Ilford was much higher priced. But, I do watch the prices and buy in volumn on the Ilford.

I have messed with profiles some and find they vary greatly. I've been doing my own with the Color Munki but having some inconsistencies.

Nov 10, 2012 at 05:50 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tell me about printing paper

as others have written, there are huge differences in papers from 'econo' to 'megasuperdeluxe'. That said, $225 is extremely expensive; I just purchased a 25sh 17x25 of Harman Gloss which is a truly top shelf paper for around $112 w/ free shipping (B&H). There may be a premium for little used papers but if you're going to do decent printing, the Ilford is great, some of the RedRiver's are very good, Epson has a broad line and are good too.

These days, I'm doing most of my printing on the Ilford (everyday giveaway) and next step up is Canson Baryta or Platine or Harman (personal prints and wall hanging).

Nov 10, 2012 at 08:46 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tell me about printing paper

Got the 3800.
My basic paper is Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl. Reasonable price, profiles are excellent, never a problem.
My top shelf paper is Epson Exhibition Fiber. Typically about $4-5/sheet for 17x22 as are many of the top papers. But I have rarely paid that amount. Keep an eye on Atlex.com. They, among others have a great selection of papers, excellent sample packs to help you decide what you like, and periodic sales. I think I have bought several 25 sheet EEF 17x22's for about $70. I dont do that much printing, so a box lasts me a year.

Scott

Nov 11, 2012 at 02:39 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tell me about printing paper

Epson Luster is $48.37 for 25 sheets and Illford is $99.00 for 25 sheets.

Nov 11, 2012 at 02:59 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tell me about printing paper

rprouty wrote:
Epson Luster is $48.37 for 25 sheets and Illford is $99.00 for 25 sheets.

You have to try a few different papers. And see what you like best. And which one that have the best value/price compared to it's quality.

Nov 11, 2012 at 05:34 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password