Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What To Charge - Licence Question?

Stephen Elms
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What To Charge - Licence Question?

I'm hoping someone can assist with a question I have about licencing an image. I have just received a message from a marketing company that wishes to use one of my images for a client. They are asking me if they can get a licence for the image and what the costing would be. I have never done this before so I honestly have no idea what I should be asking in terms of compensation for the image. Can anyone make any suggestions, or suggest any follow-up questions I should be asking the marketing company which might assist in determing the cost?

Also, when they refer to the "licence", is that merely me giving them my approval or is there an actual legal document I need to provide?

Thanks in advance and I appologize if this is an ignorant question

Nov 09, 2012 at 10:38 PM
MikeDitz
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What To Charge - Licence Question?

It all depends on the use, the smaller the use the smaller the fee, a larger use will be worth more to both the client and you. A picture used by Coke all over the world is worth thousands and thousands of $ while a picture used by Ellen's Flower Shop, not so much.

The License can be as simple as the invoice you write up for them which would describe the picture, how and where it'll be used, for how long and for how much $$$

Remember, there are no ignorant questions but there are plenty of ignorant answers

Nov 10, 2012 at 01:34 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What To Charge - Licence Question?

You can find software that will provide suggested licensing fees at Cradoc.com, and these sites provide licensing suggestions for a limited number of situations

http://www.d-65.com/photographerresource/pricing.html
http://www.photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm

Here's a link to the demo of FotoQuote Pro
http://www.cradocfotosoftware.com/fotoQuote-Pro/demo.html

Nov 10, 2012 at 05:05 AM
Stephen Elms
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What To Charge - Licence Question?

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What To Charge - Licence Question?

I've used this site - http://www.photographersindex.com/stockprice.htm
It's pretty simple to use, maybe someone can speak about how accurate it is.

Nov 15, 2012 at 03:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BFahey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What To Charge - Licence Question?

Ironically I just got off of a conference call with a corporation who wants me to do a series of shots that are of regional recognition to my area for a marketing campaign. I presented a licensing model and they balked and said they have never used anything like this with other photographers and wanted to own the copyright when we were done by just paying me an hourly rate.

My first thought was that was going to be one hell of an hourly rate.

Any suggestions? Is this common to give up the copyright ownership?

Nov 26, 2012 at 08:07 PM
BFahey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What To Charge - Licence Question?

I used this in combination with the photographer's index posted above to come up with my model.

http://www.featurepics.com/News/photo-license-fees-calculator.aspx

Nov 26, 2012 at 08:08 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What To Charge - Licence Question?

It's not really common or wise to transfer copyright / work for hire without a substantial bump in the fee but these days it's not uncommon, due to a lack of confidence or interest or knowledge on the photographers part and a blatant rights grb on the clients part.
These days clients want everything and some understand the value of the photos and will negotiate , some don't get it and wont negotiate and others just play dumb.

Nov 27, 2012 at 03:00 AM
BFahey
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What To Charge - Licence Question?

I think I am going to stick to my guns on this one. I have made a valid effort to educate the client on what the industry standard practice is and hopefully we can work out a compromise. My perspective client is a large corporation whom I feel has done this type of work in the past and should be aware of the industry norm when it comes to licensing of work.

It is very possible that other photogs have given away their work in the past to them and I am willing to negotiate licensing fees but I am not going to give up the ownership of the files and copyright for just my hourly rate. My time is worth more than that and could be spent on other work.

I may be shooting myself in the foot but I feel if more of us held our ground we would all benefit in the end. I am not willing to enter the race to the bottom.

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:37 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password