Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Which Flash - For Birds?

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Which Flash - For Birds?

Kisutch wrote:
If you know how to use artificial light, it doesn't have to look like your pop-up flash and create an unnatural look. Just like how using a 600/f4 doesn't have to result in super boring pictures of wading birds, even if it usually does

Because 90% of all shooters concentrate on one sole objective: low perspective, i.e., go down on your belly, because such photographs guarantee plaudits by his/her "buddies" on the forums. The end result is that most of those images by different folks tend to look alike.

Nov 12, 2012 at 01:40 AM
jmckayak
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Which Flash - For Birds?

My kayak is a NDK Romany. A SERIOUS sea kayak. Very little room for storage so I use a drybag on the deck. I've done so much rolling that I expect to dump at some time. I use an old SX10 for my kayak camera except when in calm waters. The 300 is not seriously weatherproof. Certainly more splash resistant than the 100-400 though. I just don't like to use any extending barrel zooms in a wet environment.
I know one guy who rolled while holding a 500mm lens. Be sure to get some insurance. Start at State Farm. Read the fine print. To quote Tom Waits: "The large print giveth and the small print taketh away". Also, dress for immersion, not for the air temperature. Be sure to wear your PFD.
John Mc

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:40 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.3 #3 · Which Flash - For Birds?

dennisgibson wrote:
Any chance you can post a pic of the Plano box mounted to the kayak?

Sure. I've attached a few photos of it mounted on the kayak. The fish finder mount allows you to rotate it and pull it out of the mount when you dock. I believe it was about $20 through Amazon. It's about 15"x7"x7" and has a gasket. It may not be submersible like say a Pelican mount, but it is much more pratical to use. The fish finder mount is a Scotty#269 and is about $16. I line the box with a layer of closed cell foam. The Hobbie paddle drive keeps my hands free for the camera.

It is 30 minutes from my living room to the locations in the photos, including loading up on my truck, driving, then launching. I have a second kayak, with the same set up and a 350D with 50-250 as a loaner for friends and family, thus the 3rd party photos.

If you want, in the next day or so, I can take and post a few photos of the box with the camera in it.

Thanks
Steven

Plano Box Mounted On Kayak

Edited on Nov 12, 2012 at 04:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:04 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.3 #4 · Which Flash - For Birds?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I really only use a flash at the zoo, but in the wild it is very rare indeed. Once or twice I have used it for shots of very dark birds like ravens to bring out the amazing colour and sheen. My better beamer lies gathering dust some where in my spare room.

same here, flash can help zoo pics but at longer distances it's problematic

Nov 12, 2012 at 01:43 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.3 #5 · Which Flash - For Birds?

dennisgibson
The box is a Plano 1412 Shallow Water Resistant Field Box. I find using the rubber screw on sun shield works better on the lens than the Canon hard ones, since they pop back very quickly to store the camera with the lens.
Thanks
Steven

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

abqnmusa
• • • •
p.3 #6 · Which Flash - For Birds?

Well put Will,

+1

trenchmonkey said ...

+1 Just say NO to flash. It ain't a freakin' studio out there

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:24 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.3 #7 · Which Flash - For Birds?

trenchmonkey wrote:
+1 Just say NO to flash. It ain't a freakin' studio out there

Trenchmonkey
Don't hold back your real feelings. You need to tell us what you really think of using a flash for birds .
Thanks
Steven

Nov 12, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Psychic1
• • • •
p.3 #8 · Which Flash - For Birds?

NYC birds don't mind the flash, the motorcycles spook them
580exII + Better Beamer - High speed sync, -1.5 for fill.

With fill flash

Canon EOS-1D Mark III    EF400mm f/5.6L USM lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Without fill flash

Canon EOS-1D Mark III    EF400mm f/5.6L USM lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 13, 2012 at 05:04 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #9 · Which Flash - For Birds?

Depends on the bird really, I mean some species use flashes of light (created by reflecting the sun off specifically colored feathers) in order to attract a mate; so using a flash on these can end up with undesired consequences.

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:05 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password