Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · blogger/wordpress templates for websites

jrs5fg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · blogger/wordpress templates for websites

I am hesitant to buy a template as I might find problems with in my course of experimenting so I either need to make very careful purchases or try out free or cheap (<$15) ones. Full-screen is ideal. There are many templates with awesome front pages but they deal with the blogging component very inelegantly, or there's too much space for text. I'd prefer it to be 95% photo, 5% text. Another problem I encounter is that some templates have stunning initial galleries but the subgalleries are too small, or too much space is wasted.

Any recommendations?

(of course, if I really have to, I have a (not too close) friend who I can pay to create a website for me, but she has graduated and works for a NYC design firm now, her time might be expensive...)

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:11 AM
billkoe
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · blogger/wordpress templates for websites

As I've noted in other threads in FM forums before, I'm very happy with Photocrati. I searched pretty long for something that I felt was flexible enough to not feel hemmed in by one or two aspects of a template. Photocrati works well for me. It's NOT less than $15 but it's not expensive.

Nov 09, 2012 at 08:54 PM
jrs5fg
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · blogger/wordpress templates for websites

Is there a way to separate image hosting from blog hosting? I can easily hotlink my images from flickr. In order to use any of these templates I have to have wordpress running off on another location.

Nov 10, 2012 at 05:29 AM
billkoe
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · blogger/wordpress templates for websites

My site - using Photocrati as a template - is a Wordpress.org - based site. That is, I use any host I choose. This is very flexible. Wordpress.com is totally different and can only be hosted by them. It is primarily used for creating a blog only.

Most hosts (I use dogbark can integrate all the Wordpress files into your site so that you may or may not include a blog.

I realize I may not have explained it very well here but the Photocrati people are very responsive to questions.

Nov 10, 2012 at 03:36 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · blogger/wordpress templates for websites

You might want to look into Tumblr. https://www.tumblr.com/

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · blogger/wordpress templates for websites

Photocrati offers a free trial, so that could be an option for you. I've tried a bunch of different templates via Themeforest (here: http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress/creative/photography)

I am currently rebuilding my site using Expression (here: http://themeforest.net/item/expression-photography-responsive-wordpress-theme/2855595?sso?WT.ac=category_item&WT.seg_1=category_item&WT.z_author=pexeto)

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:19 PM
Hendrik
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · blogger/wordpress templates for websites

I use inFocus. I'm only use the default options. Check my website for an idea.

Nov 14, 2012 at 05:54 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · blogger/wordpress templates for websites

Viewers hate full screen and many will shut it down before it loads. Just something to consider.

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:22 PM
mikejl29
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · blogger/wordpress templates for websites

Do you have a web host already and use Wordpress.org? Or are you looking to use a free host like Tumblr or Wordpress.com?

A few template sites for Wordpress.org to consider:
RAWfolio - http://rawfolio.com/
ProPhotoBlogs - http://rawfolio.com/

There's also ThemeForest, which is a market place for people to sell themes that they've made. Some nice looking ones for photographers in there.
ThemeForest - http://themeforest.net/

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:56 PM
Steve-Adoria

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · blogger/wordpress templates for websites

My wifes photography website (Adoria Photography) was developed via the wordpress template customisation route.

Unfortunately I can't offer you the Wordpress template due to the ip development cost and lack of support, but I can share some of the experiences I had getting it customised.

I started out purchasing a few themeforest themes which looked slick but didn't have much besides a nice front page. I wanted more in the way of gallery management features for handling hundreds or thousands of images at a time, Especially for client photo proofing and I wanted to also include an integrated shopping cart for photo sales. At this point I was prepared to go with Smugmug but didnt due to lack of support for Australian printing and also the ongoing costs (annual fees and fee per photo sale).

In the end I selected a Woothemes theme and use the free woocommerce shopping cart plugin for the features that allow product pricing to be defined for various images sizes and file types. It also offers payment featues via PayPal, check, or bank deposit. I decided to use a 3rd party plugin (nextgen) for photo gallery management as it is easier to bulk upload and manage hundreds of photos at a time.

The hardest part was getting the proofing gallery and photo order and payment features working the way I wanted.
f.y.i. here is a sample proof gallery page that is not password protected.

There is a lot of custom php and style sheet mods to convert the nextgen gallery into a layout I wanted and integrate payment buttons for different image print options, and allow the customer to nominate how they would like each image cropped and printed. This involved extending the products in woothemes to capturing additional custom information for each image that can be ordered. So additional form customisation was required for the shopping cart products (images) to allow capturing details such as image filename, size, orientation and cropping dimensions so this information could be saved to the shopping cart and displayed on the order details.
Some additional licenced plugins did need to be purchased for some of the features like gravity forms, AusPost shipping pricing etc.

It was a lot more work than I anticipated, as this was my first time doing any wordpress or php customisation. The downsides of this approach are:
1. Initial development effort is high
2. Too much code customisation makes it very hard to upgrade to newer versions of frameworks and plugins.

A lot of it was learn as I go. In hindsight paying for a smugmug account would have been a whole lot easier but I am happy with the results and like the fact that I can have more control over how the web site can be customised and evolve. My wife can also retain 100% of the profit on all images sold on the site going forward without having to pay a percent of sale fee to a hosting company.
I also like that I can have greater control over the SEO of the site - something not easy to achieve when the website portfolio, blog, preview gallery and ordering systems are distributed across several 3rd party sites.

Regards,
Steve
Adoria Photography (Like on Facebook; Follow on Twitter )

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:37 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password