Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Any luck with your Drobo?

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Any luck with your Drobo?

I guess Drobo had some growing pains early on. My storage needs have grown to 120 TB in two locations and the Drobo system looked like it was a solution. I bought a 5S a year ago and ran it as a beta unit, not a single problem. I had a couple of technical questions and Drobo support was prompt, spoke english (!) and followed up. After a year I have added several more 5S units along with four 5D units over the last 30 days. Had a firmware glitsch on my latest 5D, technical answered within two minutes and walked me through an update, getting everything working in about five minutes, then staying on the phone with me until we were certain the array was accepting file uploads and functioning normally. Thunderbolt is a blessing beyond compare! I'll add four more 5D units in the last quarter of 2013 or early 2014.

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:24 AM
Matthew Scott

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Any luck with your Drobo?

I've had three 5-bay Drobo S's that I use on fast MacPros and laptops for Aperture libraries and Time Machine, and have had a lot of trouble with each of them. Twice the company has replaced one of them, after which I learned that the simple problem was that you cannot dismount them by dragging them to the trash and instead have to use the Drobo dashboard shutdown command, which is ok if a minor nuisance (3 clicks in). If only some of the company's "help" people had known this it would have saved them and me a big hassle. They were nice about helping, but in the end this simple discovery (by me) fixed the main initial problem. However even knowing how to avoid that error, periodically the Drobo shuts down in the middle of an operation and leaves large library files irretrievably corrupted. Then ensues days of copying from backups--terabytes. It's the inconsistency that drives you crazy.
I am happy to report that, in contrast, I have two Pegasus Promise Thunderbolt drives (6 bay) that serve exactly the same functions, and they have worked flawlessly for months. I will never buy another Drobo. I'm happy for the people who have used them successfully; it's clear that these products somehow give people drastically different experiences. If only Drobo could figure out why, and tell us.

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:37 AM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password