FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone holding out?

nads
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Anyone holding out?

I'm still holding out with my 40d... I'll get around to buying something that can actually capture photos one of these days.

Nov 07, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Fr3lncr

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Anyone holding out?

I bit last week getting the 5D Mk III with the 24-105 lens for $3750 (before the 'official' prices got raised). I already had the 24-105 but I sold it the week before for $900 so I essentially got the 5D Mk III for $2850. Not the best price, but not bad. On top of that I saved the provincial tax by having it shipped to Quebec so that was another $260-ish saving.

I wasn't fully into buying it as I feel I was more taking advantage of a good deal and also because once I sold my 24-105 I was sort of committed since I didn't want to be without that lens (and at the same time I wouldn't have bought the 5D Mk III without selling the lens first as I figured I had a better chance at a lower price with the lens than without).

My reason was more that each time I went on holidays, I wished I could just get by with the 24-105 but on my 7D that wasn't possible so I always carried the 10-22 and the 24-105 (plus maybe the 70-200). I don't like carrying a camera bag, especially when its warm. So I always 'wished' for at least a one camera/one lens solution. Granted I could have saved a fortune just getting a 15-85 but knowing I wanted to go full frame eventually made me think this was just a waste of money.

I guess maybe one other reason for me to get it is that I often find myself shooting at higher ISO's as I don't like to use a flash and I don't use a tripod so the full frame helps address this a bit.

What I don't like having bought it is that I like to really feel that my money is well spent. With the 7D, it was a fair chunk of change but you were getting the best camera on the market at the time (generally beating out the D300s in reviews). And it is still a great camera in all features except that sensors have gotten a lot better in the last 2-3 years (except for Canon's).

With the 5D Mk III, I don't get the feeling you are getting the best camera. Instead, I get the feeling it is the best Canon camera. For me, it's still offers more than I am capable of using but I still like knowing my money is well spent and that in this case, some compromises were made.

I can understand why some people are holding out and I can understand why others have gone for it (especially if you are lucky enough to make money doing photography and have the skills to make full use out of your tools). Canon used to have the best sensors on the market and unfortunately have let that slide over the past three years. I don't think they can wait another three years before offering real improvements so I wouldn't be surprised to see something newer with better tech sooner than later and I know for sure I will probably wished I would have waited since at this price I won't be upgrading for a long while now (unless I sell for a good price or win the lotto).

Anyways, to each their own. Everyone has their reasons.

Nov 07, 2012 at 10:47 PM
dimitris77
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Anyone holding out?

I am not holding out because my 5dmkII works just fine and I dont need better AF with my Zeiss. I get the feeling that Canon pricing is going crazy lately making even Zeiss seem like a deal.

Nov 07, 2012 at 11:32 PM
dsr1
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Anyone holding out?

As far as I'm concerned Canon has gone "NUTS" with their new lens pricing. I'll not be changing just because of pricing but they'l be getting a lot less of my money from now on. Cameras are a different story so far. Canons camera selections still meat all my needs better than anyone else and the pricing seems to be at least in the ball park with the compitition.

What Canon needs to realize is the fact that they could have the sharpest lens in the world, but people still have to justify their price for that quality. Not all of use make a living with these lenses and with third party lens companys stepping up their IQ and stabilizing capabilities it's getting harder to justify all the time. I just bought a new Tamron 70-300 VC for $349.00 after rebate and it's sharper than the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS v1. I'm wondering what their new 70-200 f2.8 VC will give us.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:23 AM
gabimaster
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Anyone holding out?

nads, I have something older than yours.. For now, my setup is : 2 x 30D bodies and a 7D. But at 2900$ ,I will be the first to buy a 5D MK3.So,I'm waiting !

Nov 08, 2012 at 04:15 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Anyone holding out?

Canon is becoming the never cry wolf of camera manufacturers. They release new gear with severely inflated prices (do not tell me this is because of the weak dollar, the 5D3 was selling from Canon authorized retailers for $2800 6 months after release which is $700 less than what they came out for.....and there was still profit being made). You do this enough and people will simply start to wait. That's definitely the case with me on a 2nd 5D3 and the 24-70II. I need both and I'm simply waiting. The 24-70II should be $1800 and it will be soon enough. Until then I'll continue taking lots of pics with my original 24-70. The free market is a wonderful thing and most people aren't buying into the hyper inflated marketing hype. If anything it's ticking the masses off.

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Anyone holding out?

I bought my 5d3 shorty after it's release. I've seen many folks suffer from "Paralysis by analysis". If you need the tool get it. As a pro, I've made more $$ from buying the doggone thing and paying the extra $$ than if I'd have waited, wondering if I could possibly saved a couple bucks later.... I use mine a lot for night football and it has allowed me to shoot different techniques in conditions I wouldn't have tried before (i.e. no flash) . It has saved me countless hours in post process.... That's well worth the extra $$.....

Now I know there are many "high-end" hobbist" here, for those, do what's right for you, but if you earn a living from your tools, and you need the tool, you'd better buy it. You're losing $$ elsewhere by not upgrading your kit.

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:16 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Anyone holding out?

I am not holding out but skip it for good just because nothing new that 5D3 offers. The way i shoot, i can get the same 5D3 results as 5D2 and 1Ds2. I don't need more resolution but better low iso performance. I will get one whenever canon has something comparable as EXMOR sensor.

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:16 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Anyone holding out?

cineski wrote:
Canon is becoming the never cry wolf of camera manufacturers. They release new gear with severely inflated prices (do not tell me this is because of the weak dollar, the 5D3 was selling from Canon authorized retailers for $2800 6 months after release which is $700 less than what they came out for.....and there was still profit being made). You do this enough and people will simply start to wait. That's definitely the case with me on a 2nd 5D3 and the 24-70II. I need both and I'm simply waiting. The 24-70II should be $1800 and it will be soon
...Show more

+1

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:56 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Anyone holding out?

mttran wrote:
I am not holding out but skip it for good just because nothing new that 5D3 offers. The way i shoot, i can get the same 5D3 results as 5D2 and 1Ds2. I don't need more resolution but better low iso performance. I will get one whenever canon has something comparable as EXMOR sensor.

+1

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:57 PM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Anyone holding out?

mttran wrote:

Canon needs a D600 or D800, quick. 5D3 is old sensor tech.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:38 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Anyone holding out?

scalesusa wrote:
I'm not. I jumped on the $2750 deal from Adorama. Why should I hold out for a lower price?

BTW, I also received enough ebay bucks with it to buy a extra battery from Adorama.

I jumped on Datavisions $2799 sale. Used some ebay bucks and earned some too. For me the high iso cabability, better AF outside the center point, and tracking is wonderful.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:40 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Anyone holding out?

I received a 5DIII today, a good bit under £2k which was my goal (new)

I'm utterly thrilled with it, it's much more than just an upgrade to the 5DII, it's in a different league.

I can see tripod based guys not feeling the need to uprgrade, but there is stuff on the 5dIII even I will use and I'm usually tripod based. It just feels very modern and efficient with better build, features and performance.

Edited on Nov 08, 2012 at 01:53 PM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:52 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Anyone holding out?

The 5D3 has outstanding image quality for the most part, but I'm not going to disagree with you here. Canon has got to do something to compete against Sony's amazing sensors.

artsupreme wrote:
Canon needs a D600 or D800, quick. 5D3 is old sensor tech.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:52 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Anyone holding out?

cineski wrote:
The 5D3 has outstanding image quality for the most part, but I'm not going to disagree with you here. Canon has got to do something to compete against Sony's amazing sensors

Reading between the lines at CanonRumors, on other sites with the Canon 500 micron vs. newer 180 micron fabs, etc., it sounds like Canon has a new chip in the works.

My **guess** is that the next new camera in the 1st quarter will feature that chip. A 7DII replacement, or something brand new?

Nikon has yet to hit with their D300/D7000 replacement, which is also their "next step." The recently announced D5200 won't go on sale here until mid-January, which makes me think they won't announce until after the new year in order not to undercut those sales.

I DO NOT DISAGREE about the Canon sensor. In fact I was just testing out a Sony NEX 5n, I have a Nikon D3200 on the way to play with, etc.

But in my mind, the DR issue is one of perhaps 8-10 issues that "balance out" in the equation on which camera to buy. I won't go through them all here - AF, glass, high ISO, etc . - not the point.

But in most cases, if you are going to the web, doing anything in sRGB, doing professional work with any volume of images (rather than laboring on an individual image for a few hours in Photoshop), printing up to 11x14, or using saturation, pop, "Velvia style", working in a studio with controlled lighting (easily managed DR) - in those cases. the DR on your existing sensor is not a limiting factor in your image, and won't be noticeable at all.

Basically, in outputting an image to any medium we have now, you are compressing the image to a DR that is much less than what you can capture in camera.

And photographers did that all of the time in the past - they shot color slides I stead of negatives, they shot Velvia or Potria or Kodachrome instead on Astia, they shot Porta 160 VC (vivid color) instead of Portra160NC. They shot color instead of B&W. They used 400 ISO film instead of 100 ISO film.

I am not defending Canon here. I am trying to explain some of the ways to determine how critical a stop or two of extra DR is to your work.

Cheers! Hi Cineski!

Michael

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:16 PM
jstntym
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Anyone holding out?

Fr3lncr wrote:
Canon used to have the best sensors on the market and unfortunately have let that slide over the past three years. I don't think they can wait another three years before offering real improvements so I wouldn't be surprised to see something newer with better tech sooner than later and I know for sure I will probably wished I would have waited since at this price I won't be upgrading for a long while now.

Originally I planned on the 1D X and had one on pre-order. After Canon pushing the release date further out I just decided to pick up the 5D MkIII instead and learn my way around the improved AF system. After using it for near a month decided it was enough of an improvement to let my 5D MkII go. Shortly after my dealer sent me an email notifying me that my 1D X had been received in their warehouses and wanted to get one out to me from their first shipment as they only received a few. I gladly thanked him for the follow-up and explained I picked up the 5D MkIII while in the holding pattern and was happy with it. With the extra $$ budgeted I picked up the 16-35II and pre-ordered the 24-70II at that time. I just received the 24-70II and feel I made the better choice for me in the short run. The Canon glass will always move thru the timeline with me and decided that as the reviews coming in on the new owners of the 1D X were proving to be a fine camera, I'll just wait another generation of 1-series. I'm still enjoying the benefits of the newer AF system with the 5D MkIII and by the time I feel fairly proficient down the road with it, Canon may have the next 1D ? out with maybe higher mp or possibly a move to another sensor with different tech. Whatever it may be at that time I'll be ready for a step into the 1-series. Until then, I'm good!

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM
drive_75
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Anyone holding out?

I am always holding out but I don't know what I'm holding out for. Maybe a 5D3 or even a 5D4 or 5D5. I'll know when it's time to buy. I know a lot of people compare Canon to Nikon and said Canon need to match Nikon for this or that. I personally don't care what Nikon is doing and don't care if Canon match the features or not. I'll buy a new camera when I deem that I need the new features of the new camera that Canon produce. Otherwise I'm happy with my current camera. Price is relevant but at the same time it's not. If I want it enough, I'll find a way.

Nov 10, 2012 at 01:01 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Anyone holding out?

drive_75 wrote:
I am always holding out but I don't know what I'm holding out for. Maybe a 5D3 or even a 5D4 or 5D5. I'll know when it's time to buy. I know a lot of people compare Canon to Nikon and said Canon need to match Nikon for this or that. I personally don't care what Nikon is doing and don't care if Canon match the features or not. I'll buy a new camera when I deem that I need the new features of the new camera that Canon produce. Otherwise I'm happy with my current camera. Price is relevant
...Show more

+1

Nov 10, 2012 at 01:15 PM
jonorees

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Anyone holding out?

I was planning on holding out for the 1dx, but was forced to move up a body before it came out. Bought the mk3 and its awesome.

Do prefer the 1d series controls rather that the left hand dial but that my only real complaint.

Nov 11, 2012 at 02:21 AM
RikWriter
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Anyone holding out?

I am holding out for the successor to the 7D. I prefer crop cameras as I do mostly wildlife/bird photography.

Nov 11, 2012 at 09:06 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.