Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone holding out?

ardvorak
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Anyone holding out?

I'm holding out, but I may or may not soon be pulling the trigger. Since this is a hobby for me, I'm in no rush to part with my money. Same on the 24-70mm II. I'd hoped that the 24-70 f/4 IS might fit the bill, but--for that much money--I might as well just get the 2.8 once the price drops a bit.

Nov 07, 2012 at 03:28 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · Anyone holding out?

Sarsfield wrote:
Just wondering if anyone is holding out on the purchase of the 5D Mark III due to price. I am and I believe that Canon will lower the MSRP to $2799 before Christmas. This will allow the Ebay retailers to lower the price to around my high price point of $2499. What do you think of my election night prognostication?

Lots of people have been and continue to be "holding out" on the 5D3.

Let me start by acknowledging that it is a fine camera and a worthy next step in the 5D series in many ways. it incorporates useful improvements, especially in terms of expanding the versatility of the 5D series in the direction of working with moving subjects. The older models can do this, but the newer one improves on their capabilities.

However, several things have made quite a few folks reluctant to purchase or upgrade to the 5D3. For one, the improvements, real as they are, are not necessarily important to all of the photographers who might choose the 5D full-frame bodies. The improved AF and (slightly) faster burst performance are essentially irrelevant to many of us who shoot subjects such as landscape and architecture and similar with the 5D2. Those who might have been intrigued by a higher MP body (e.g. - those of us who work carefully and regularly print large) did not get that in the 5D3. And the cost differential, even though it does bring improvements, doesn't work out on the cost-to-value scale for quite a few of us.

(It is not as critical as some seem to think, but neither is it irrelevant, that Nikon managed to produce a price-competitive full-frame body in the D800 that does have higher MP. Very, very few will be persuaded to switch brands on this account, and that is as it should be, but knowing that such a camera is available from one manufacturer at this price point suggests to many users that it should also be available from Canon.)

Basically, many of us know that we will not see any visible improvement in our photography from the 5D3 over the 5D2... and the 5D2 continues to be available, and at increasingly attractive pricing.

Yes, YMMV.

Dan

Nov 07, 2012 at 03:34 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · Anyone holding out?

oldrattler wrote:
I too believe the 5DIII is over priced and am waiting... Currently thinking about buying a 5DII and waiting to see if Canon ever comes out with a Mega-pixel camera to compete with the D800

+1: No interest in the 5D III as stated earlier, not even for $2500 or lower. If Canon in the future believes that a price tag of more than $3K is justified for a real D800 competitor, I will skip on this one, too.

Nov 07, 2012 at 03:38 PM
M.P.R.
• •
p.2 #4 · Anyone holding out?

Sarsfield wrote:
Just wondering if anyone is holding out on the purchase of the 5D Mark III due to price. I am and I believe that Canon will lower the MSRP to $2799 before Christmas. This will allow the Ebay retailers to lower the price to around my high price point of $2499. What do you think of my election night prognostication?

I think Canon is having trouble moving cameras so you might be right. They don't want inventory to build. Hell there are still a lot of new 5DII's out there for sale super cheap. But maybe not a big price drop before Christmas.

Despite previously upgrading every cycle, I won't be buying the 5DIII at any price. Skipping this camera and sticking with 5DII. I compared my friends 5DIII to my 5DII and see no reason to buy it. I live view manually focus most of the time. If I buy anything right now, might give D800e a try for more dynamic range.

I hope Canon gets some new sensor tech to us soon. Be about time they upgrade their sensor fabs.

Frank

Nov 07, 2012 at 04:53 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Anyone holding out?

I'll wait on the 5D3 until either my 5D2 or 7D breaks.

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:32 PM
jstntym
• •
p.2 #6 · Anyone holding out?

$2400 would be a fair price. Great deals on the 5D MkII currently and you may be better off picking up one of those, as others have already mentioned..

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:48 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.2 #7 · Anyone holding out?

I'm realistically not upgrading my body until March2013 at the earliest so I hope it gets close to $2500 by then. That also gives me time to see hands on reviews of the 6D for comparison. That's my only reason for holding out.

Nov 07, 2012 at 05:53 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Anyone holding out?

When the 5D MKIII and D800E came out I was going to buy both, but the price of the 5D MKIII was more than I was willing to pay, I decided to pass. Besides at the time it was expected I would recieve both at about the same time and that would not allow me to focus on workings of just one and my 5D MKII was working fine.

Prior to a recent landscape course I took I was once again contemplating on buying a 5D MKIII, but decided to shoot both the 5D MKII and D800E side by side. Other than the 17 and 24 TSE, and 14 MKII, I used lenses that could be used by both cameras.

At the end of the day I found that my 5D MKII is doing just fine, the initial impulse and desire to get a 5D MKIII has waned and I will likely skip a generation or when I have the need for the AF capabilities of a 5D MKIII will make the move then.

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:03 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.2 #9 · Anyone holding out?

Sarsfield wrote:
I am and I believe that Canon will lower the MSRP to $2799 before Christmas.

The price was $2994 at B&H and Amazon right before the MAP enforcement kicked in.

With the MAP in place, I don't think we'll see an 'official' price of below $3000 this year.
Maybe next year (after the next quarterly financial results ).

On eBay, though, one should be able to find $2800-2999 deals during the holiday season.
$2499 is maybe 12 months out, depending on the success (failure?) of the 6D.

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:27 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.2 #10 · Anyone holding out?

As a mere hobbyist, my 5DMkII *still* serves me well.
I will no doubt pass completely on the MkIII.
Though, if the MkIII does get to a $2500.00 point, I may be tempted.
I am awaiting new sensor upgrades.
This is the big upgrade I am wanting.

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

OntheRez
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Anyone holding out?

The price will go down. Canon will cut margins to gain sales and a small increase in the bottom line. When? Hard to say. Smart money would say in a push up to Xmas. Whether or not Canon pays any attention to "smart money?" Shrug, who knows, though their pricing of late hasn't been competitive pretty much across the board. They don't seem to have grasped the fact that Nikon is now competing on price as well as feature and currently are winning. Many are asking why pay the Canon premium? As it approaches $2700, I'll get interested.

Robert
(And this from a professional who needs a new FF body.)

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:37 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.2 #12 · Anyone holding out?

Many people have been holding out since the day the price was announced. The majority of the market seems to value the 5DIII around $2500-$2700. It's a decent camera in that price range but nothing spectacular. Simply a 5DII with a better AF system.

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:52 PM
godfather
• • •
p.2 #13 · Anyone holding out?

I consolidated all my cameras down to just two. For me the 5dII would not do everything I wanted...it would rerquire another faster/better focusing camera. Cost wise I did not see a large enough savings to go with an older camera.

5dII new cost $1500
5dIII new cost $2750

~ value in 3 years
5dII $750
5dIII $1500

So for an extra $166 per year I get the camera I want.

Nov 07, 2012 at 06:56 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.2 #14 · Anyone holding out?

Many people try to mix up the retail price and the street price.

I doubt Canon will drop the retail price of 5D3 to under $3,000, let alone to $2,799. I don't keep all the records, but I don't think Canon drops the price right away. They will just have their rebate promotion, just like now $200 for 5D3. Then, the price becomes permanent. So, I think the first price reduction for 5D3 will be $3,299 or $3,199 at best. Also, the retail price of 5D2 didn't drop dramatically until this year.

Now, let's look at street price. If anyone recalls, exactly a year ago, if you can find a new 5D2 at $2,200, it's a good deal. There were some Black Friday deal for $1,999, but it came and went really fast. In the used market, used 5D2 was around $2,100. While a used kit with 24-105L was running around $2,900-$3,000 and with 24-70L at $3,400-$3,500.

This year, I think it's quite out of characteristic that you can find a brand new 5D3 for $2,700-$2,900 for a Canon camera that is retailed at $3,499. Thinking you will get a new 5D3 this winter for $2,500 is kinda a stretch.

I truly believe that the MAP policy has something to do with the availability of the new 6D. Canon forces retailers to advertise at a minimum prices. If you can find a new 5D3 at $2,500 or even $2,800, who will buy a 6D for $2,099? Don't hold your breath for anything under $2,750. If you can find one for $2,750-$2,900 and you really want it, I'd suggest you to grab it.

Nov 07, 2012 at 07:39 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · Anyone holding out?

arnold1 wrote:
Did you do this before or after MAP went into effect?

before :-)

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:39 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #16 · Anyone holding out?

I'm not. I jumped on the $2750 deal from Adorama. Why should I hold out for a lower price?

BTW, I also received enough ebay bucks with it to buy a extra battery from Adorama.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:40 AM
Peacekpr
• •
p.2 #17 · Anyone holding out?

I'm thinking the price will drop once the 6D hits the stores. It's smaller, faster, full frame and feature packed. In short, it's the camera the 7D should've been.
As much as I'd love a new camera, I don't really need one. I do want the new 24-70Mk2 though. I'm hoping tht drops before next spring. My 28-70L is ready for retirement.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:42 AM
erikburd
• • •
p.2 #18 · Anyone holding out?

I'm pretty set on my lens kit. I've been very happy with the 24-70 f/2.8 Mk I. The 40mm pancake lens looks interesting, given the bang-for-the-buck. That lens would be great on FF, and a good lightweight travel lens.

I'm definitely getting the 5D3, just in no rush to buy right now. However, a good deal around XMAS would change my mind.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:52 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · Anyone holding out?

Sarsfield wrote:

Holding out or shooting that time? What is better? Some just holding and holding and holding ...

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:32 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.2 #20 · Anyone holding out?

I sold my 5D2 with the intention of getting a 5D3 or a 1DX. While waiting, I invested some quality time getting to know a 1DsII I picked up a couple of years ago, and that I never used much.

If the price was right, I might buy the 5D3. If the prices don't drop further, I'll wait and demo a 6D and see if it might suit my purposes.

The only Canon camera that I would be willing to buy at the drop of a hat, would be something offering a serious upgrade in the megapixel department.

Then I might finally get around to selling two low-mileage 1D2's and a 1D3.

Nov 08, 2012 at 02:56 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password