Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

RMstudios

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

I brought the bag to work. I think there's something a coworker isn't telling me... I had a few other items, Radio triggers/receivers, flash units, 20d. When i opened the bag everything was jumbled around. One of the backs that holds the batteries on an Rx was off with batteries thrown about. The camera seemed a little out of place (viewfinder eye pad moved), but seeing as it was in the middle of the bag it didn't get damaged. The bag was definitely dropped the way things were disheveled. :/

I sent it to Canon through repair broker who gave me the initial and final estimate (which they mark up). All I'm out at this point is shipping.

Thanks

Nov 07, 2012 at 07:48 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

scottam10 wrote:
Tough luck. I wonder how the bag got dropped? Was there anything else in the bag that might have been damaged?

What happens to your original $300, have you already lost this, or will Canon refund it if you don't go ahead with the repair?

You could always put it up for auction on ebay (with full disclosure). You'd be surprised what people pay for broken stuff. This saves you the hassle of repairs.

And how much do you expect people would pay for the broken 70-200 II It needs to be rebuild with new zoom mechanism and new IS.

Nov 07, 2012 at 08:39 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Lars Johnsson wrote:
And how much do you expect people would pay for the broken 70-200 II It needs to be rebuild with new zoom mechanism and new IS.

I'll give him $200, but I wouldn't give him $1200

Nov 08, 2012 at 03:04 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

RMstudios wrote:
I brought the bag to work. I think there's something a coworker isn't telling me... I had a few other items, Radio triggers/receivers, flash units, 20d. When i opened the bag everything was jumbled around. One of the backs that holds the batteries on an Rx was off with batteries thrown about. The camera seemed a little out of place (viewfinder eye pad moved), but seeing as it was in the middle of the bag it didn't get damaged. The bag was definitely dropped the way things were disheveled. :/

I sent it to Canon through repair broker who gave me
...Show more

Probably they picked up what they thought was a light daypack and it slipped out of their sweaty mitts like a bag 'o rocks.

Nov 08, 2012 at 03:21 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I'll give him $200, but I wouldn't give him $1200

+1
yes I would not pay more than that either

Nov 08, 2012 at 07:05 AM
TeamSpeed
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Lars Johnsson wrote:
+1
yes I would not pay more than that either

Keep in mind many will pay much more. There are many that are enterprising repair shops or diyers that can fix this lens for perhaps around $500 to $600. If you list it at $1000, it will probably sell, but after fees and shipping, you will only clear about $900.

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

No way he can sell it for $ 1000 if he is honest about that lens when selling it. It's dead and need to be rebuild. It also need a new zoom mechanism. And a new IS.
Who likes to pay about 50% of a new lens ? When it's completely broken and nothing in it works!!

And I don't belive repair shops will fix it for less than even the parts they need for the repair cost.

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:42 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Lars I accept that you might not pay $1000, but plenty of people will, even with full disclosure. As TeamSpeed says people will do the sums and say 'I can repair it for $5-600, so if I pay $1000 I've got a 70-200 IS II for $1500'
...I don't understand why anyone would pay that much, but ebay auctions frequently amaze me

Nov 08, 2012 at 11:58 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Insurance?

This...surely?

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

scottam10 wrote:
Lars I accept that you might not pay $1000, but plenty of people will, even with full disclosure. As TeamSpeed says people will do the sums and say 'I can repair it for $5-600, so if I pay $1000 I've got a 70-200 IS II for $1500'
...I don't understand why anyone would pay that much, but ebay auctions frequently amaze me

How can you repair it for less than the parts cost ?

Nov 08, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

I thought Canon already stopped supplying independent repairers with parts and whatever tools they need to repair Canon's newest gear? How can they fix the 70-200 II? Unless that policy came into effect AFTER this lens.

Nov 08, 2012 at 01:11 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

scottam10 wrote:

I don't understand this logic. No one (except the person who submits it for repair) will know how much it will cost until they get the bill.

It could cost $800. It could cost $1400. It *might* cost $400.

I'm not a gambler, and I doubt most people are.

Nov 08, 2012 at 05:29 PM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Lars Johnsson wrote:
No way he can sell it for $ 1000 if he is honest about that lens when selling it. It's dead and need to be rebuild. It also need a new zoom mechanism. And a new IS.
Who likes to pay about 50% of a new lens ? When it's completely broken and nothing in it works!!

And I don't belive repair shops will fix it for less than even the parts they need for the repair cost.

You would be amazed at how much I have sold broken camera equipment for in the past with full disclosure. You have to see it to believe it.

It is really not that hard to fathom, we have posts all the time where people are amazed how much used lenses go for when people can get new lenses for marginally more money. The same holds true for broken equipment, just at a different price point. In fact, you can see this all over just about any industry, some object is worth more parted out than whole if it is not in working order: automotive, electronic, etc.

Edited on Nov 08, 2012 at 06:16 PM · View previous versions

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:09 PM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Lars Johnsson wrote:
How can you repair it for less than the parts cost ?

If you are a shop that buys up broken lenses, you create your own inventory of parts. Also there are ways to obtain parts from Canon at lower than their repair estimate costs, either directly or indirectly, if you know the correct channels and network.

Invariably, even if one pays the full $600 for parts, and they pay $1000 for the lens, they still have a 70-200 II for well under current used market prices. That would be worst case expense, based on Canon's assessment.

It is not everyone's cup of tea obviously (as evidenced by a few members here), but remember, you only need ONE person on a forum or ebay to be this way to sell that lens.

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:11 PM
bridow
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

You could always sell or "loan" it to a friend with a CPS Gold or Platinum discount. If you buy a gold CPS account now, you can easily resell the gifts to break even and save 30%. The platinum gift now isn't a $300 backpack. It's just a $50 laptop case.

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:58 PM
RMstudios

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

The more I'm thinking about it, I feel I want to hang on to it and eat the repair cost somehow. After repaired it's practically brand new with 6 month warranty. There's no scratches or blemishes anywhere, only internal damage. $400-$600 for this lens, even in it's current condition is just someone trying to take advantage of someone already in a tough spot... (kinda like me going to a pawn shop but no way to buy back) I know the history of this lens and no one else does. I guess I can't really expect anyone to take a chance on it.

If I apply for CPS account now wouldn't canon be able to tell that the damage occurred before I opened an account, would that matter to them? They have my lens now, waiting for me to make a decision.

And yes Lars it "needs new IS and zoom mechanism." Thank you for sharing repeatedly.

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:05 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

I know that this hurts for you, and it's no EOSfun at all but I think it's the most wise decision if you can bear the cost. Hopefully this was a once and for all and never again incident.

Nov 08, 2012 at 08:13 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

RMstudios wrote:
The more I'm thinking about it, I feel I want to hang on to it and eat the repair cost somehow. After repaired it's practically brand new with 6 month warranty. There's no scratches or blemishes anywhere, only internal damage. $400-$600 for this lens, even in it's current condition is just someone trying to take advantage of someone already in a tough spot... (kinda like me going to a pawn shop but no way to buy back) I know the history of this lens and no one else does. I guess I can't really expect anyone to take a chance
...Show more

Probably the right decision.

But it's completely unfair to say, "$400-$600 for this lens, even in it's current condition is just someone trying to take advantage of someone already in a tough spot..." A reasonable person, discounting for both the uncertainty and the hassle (and expense) involved in buying a badly damaged lens and getting it fixed, will not be willing to pay anything like the FMV of a mint used copy less the estimated cost of repair. Personally, I would much rather buy a new one that a used one at only a 10% discount (10% being not enough of a discount for me to take on the risk of buying someone else's castoff), but I'd much rather buy from Canon refurb (with a guarantee) at 20% off full MSRP than even pay $500 for your lens.

No offense intended, but I wanted to set that straight.

JMO

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:24 PM
RMstudios

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

Cheapest I've found this lens is $2099. Canon doesn't even have any listed currently in their refurb department. You'd have to take your chances buying from private party if you want cheaper than that.

Say I sold the lens for $1000, then it gets repaired by canon for $800. The buyer would be saving $299 with warranty to back. How many private sellers selling this lens for 2k offer warranty?

*EDIT: My mistake, Canon does have a refurb in stock for $1999.20* plus tax/shipping

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:45 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 70-200 2.8 IS II dead... WTD? help!

RMstudios wrote:
Cheapest I've found this lens is $2099. Canon doesn't even have any listed currently in their refurb department. You'd have to take your chances buying from private party if you want cheaper than that.

Say I sold the lens for $1000, then it gets repaired by canon for $800. The buyer would be saving $299 with warranty to back. How many private sellers selling this lens for 2k offer warranty?

Go ahead, if you can.

BTW, when I bought the lens, I bought it new. I don't like gambling.

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:50 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password