Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Grand Old Lady Reborn.....

WereBo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Grand Old Lady Reborn.....

Hi folks

Some months ago, the 'Cutty Sark', in Greenwich SE London was re-opened to the public after a major rebuild, then a major fire that almost destroyed the hull.

This is how she looks now, restored to her full glory (I can't visit Greenwich without taking yet another pic of her, these pics were taken at different times .....

From up-river.....

The approach to the ship - The glasswork is the Visitor's Centre, designed to represent the sea, the top is at the water-level if she was afloat.....

First view of the ship from inside the Viitors Centre....

It beats me how the crew remembered which rope does what

If you look carefully at the above shots, you can see this guy in the rigging......

The Lower-Deck (Hold)....

'Tween-Deck (and Visitor Interaction Area)....

The Captain's camera - Buried in cupboard somewhere, I've got a very similar model, no provenance to it though......

Main Deck.....

Inside a crew's bunk-house.....

Another mess of ropes.....

That guy again.....

A miracle of modern engineering, the entire ship is suspended 3-metres off the ground

Thanks for looking

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:52 AM
asaya
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Grand Old Lady Reborn.....

Very nice series thanks for the tour

Nov 06, 2012 at 04:40 PM
WereBo

p.1 #3 · Grand Old Lady Reborn.....

You're welcome and thank you

Nov 06, 2012 at 07:42 PM
WereBo

p.1 #4 · Grand Old Lady Reborn.....

Some more.....

This is one of the original timbers, that was replaced during the renovation.....

At the end of the dry-dock is an exhibition of ships figureheads.....

Taken from the exit-ramp, the 'water-line'.....

Finally, all these were taken between the London Olympics and the Paralympics (just down-river from me) - From the main deck, I had a wonderful view of HMS Ocean, which supplied the air security with 'Super Lynx' helicopters - The reason the River Thames is sloping is the the Cutty Sark is suspended leaning over at approx. 9-degrees, to give the visitors an idea of walking at sea....

All the above pics are taken with my Fuji S-2500HD 'Bridge-camera', no processing as such, just the occasional cropping on some of 'em.

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:06 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password