Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Walkie-talkie?

spink
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Walkie-talkie?

I have them. Used them twice, then didn't bother. I still use them for first looks or something like that. I do bring them to every wedding, but rare that we use them.

Nov 08, 2012 at 05:06 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.2 #2 · Walkie-talkie?

I see more video guys using 2 way radios than photogs

Nov 08, 2012 at 03:12 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Walkie-talkie?

I've been using these for the past year and a half.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT1000VP4-36-Mile-50-Channel-Two-Way/dp/B001WMFYH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352729262&sr=8-1&keywords=midland+2+way+radio

They work pretty darn well, I do get some crossover sometimes when I'm in the city or near anything remotely industrial. For instance, shot a wedding right across the river from the Port of Baltimore on Sunday and they were going freaking nuts all night. Couldn't find a channel that would work at all without crazy interference. The only time it's been that bad though.

They have saved my butt quite a few times. Earlier on in the summer, we had a wedding in an old Catherdral in Philly & my 2nd photographer was shooting the entrances into the church, bride coming down the isle, etc. while I was up in the choir loft shooting down with the fisheye. Right before the processional his camera crapped out and had to radio me down to shoot the entrances. There's been times where I have had the bride and the groom out at night doing some night photos & something stupid like I forgot to change mem cards and I needed one, or I wanted a different lens that I didn't bring out. Also, helps incredibly when setting up first looks & the whole "we can't see each other before the ceremony" thing.

As for the ear pieces, people actually get a kick out of it. We play along with the secret service jokes, it's definitely a talking point, especially with the guys, they eat it up. I've had people comment on how "professional" it looks almost every wedding.

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:19 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Walkie-talkie?

I think walkie talkies are over doing it. How about sending a text. You don't have to type them either, just speak to your phone.

How often do you ever really need to communicate to your second when they are not nearby? Surely only a handful of times on the day.

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:32 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Walkie-talkie?

Marcus Watts wrote:
I think walkie talkies are over doing it. How about sending a text. You don't have to type them either, just speak to your phone.

How often do you ever really need to communicate to your second when they are not nearby? Surely only a handful of times on the day.

Sometimes communication could be, "Check out the blonde on the 4th row in the red dress". Or it could be, "Hey, your hair is on fire".

Nov 12, 2012 at 02:58 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Walkie-talkie?

Then wouldn't it be better to send a pic of the hot blonde to your seconds phone?

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:34 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Walkie-talkie?

Too busy taking a picture with the real camera

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:38 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Walkie-talkie?

joelconner wrote:
We use midland walkies with the earpieces...they are a God send.

I bought a set three years ago, used them once. Haven't touched them since. I should probably sell them.

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

larhouser
• •
p.2 #9 · Walkie-talkie?

I'd REALLY recommend you do NOT use your cell phone to text your comrades. Last thing you want is one of the wedding party thinking you're texting your girlfriend instead of shooting the wedding.

Walkies are great with the right headset. I like the midland ones well enough and get the clear in ear type headsets.

As for wire tangling you need to run the headset wire down the inside of your shirt then out to your belt. If you're wearing an undershirt you'll never feel the cord and the straps can't reach it to make trouble.

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:49 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Walkie-talkie?

jcolman wrote:
I bought a set three years ago, used them once. Haven't touched them since. I should probably sell them.

Let me know if you do

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:58 PM
sic0048
• •
p.2 #11 · Walkie-talkie?

Scott Mosher wrote

Sometimes communication could be, "Check out the blonde on the 4th row in the red dress".

You don't have hand signals for that?

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:02 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.2 #12 · Walkie-talkie?

Yeah, a lot of times my phone is on vibrate or in the bag anyway. The whole reason I got the radios is because I'd call or text and in the middle of a loud reception how the hell are you supposed to hear a cell phone?

Nov 15, 2012 at 08:31 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · Walkie-talkie?

DannyBostwick wrote:
Yeah, a lot of times my phone is on vibrate or in the bag anyway. The whole reason I got the radios is because I'd call or text and in the middle of a loud reception how the hell are you supposed to hear a cell phone?

Exactly - and I can't even feel my phone vibrating when I'm shooting getting-ready.

Nov 15, 2012 at 09:26 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.2 #14 · Walkie-talkie?

I bought a set with transparent ear pieces a couple months ago. Broke mine the first day I used it. The antenna got caught on the bottom of a desk when I stood up from crouching. Broke off the antenna. Still works but I need to tape it together. Maybe buy a new one. Didnt really help. My 2nd didnt hear me for some reason.. I dont know.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:05 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Walkie-talkie?

TTLKurtis wrote:
Wireless earpiece, nice! What's the neck loop you're talking about? Throat mic? I'm thinking that could work for me but not for my female assistant or second shooter, any thoughts there?

Neck loop is basically the aerial for the wireless earpiece (the range isn't all that good as it's so small so you wear a loop antena).

Here's me courtesy of Mr Prezant last weekend with it all on. Earpiece is in the ear you see, PTT and mic are hidden under the tie.

Nov 16, 2012 at 03:18 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password