Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

MakoShark
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

This home game season has come to a close on a growing program,. The school I have been shooting for is only 3 years into things and they are doing quite well as a team. Would be great to have more folks at the games, but time I guess will help.

Here are a few to share, C&C is always appreciated. I cropped these a bit different than I have in the past. Seems when they are home they run the heck out of the ball. The defense made the game feel slow as a shooter as every play was stopped at scrimmage. Interesting night, lots of emotions from players, families walking their Seniors onto the field. Different vibe than other games, in a good mellow way. Thanks again for looking!

1 - walking onto the field quite humbly.

2- one of the few passes that evening

3 - Square work?

4 - Strong running game at this school

Nov 05, 2012 at 07:38 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

Some more

5 - another running play

6 - good defensive hit that sounded like it hurt.

7 - Another hard hit knocking ball out

8 - Great O Line for running!

Nov 05, 2012 at 07:40 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

last few

9 - last stand by defense

10- Seniors ending their games at home as they began

Nov 05, 2012 at 07:41 PM
speakit101
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

Look good Mako. What type of body and lens did you use? Love the color nice.

Nov 05, 2012 at 09:37 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

Thanks. All of them are with the D3s body. Sigma 120-300 2.8 OS version. The last pic is with the 70-200 Nikon 2.8.

Appreciate the comments.

Nov 05, 2012 at 09:40 PM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

Nice set black jerseys are sick!

Nov 06, 2012 at 12:22 AM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

Thanks Sandman. Yeah they are pretty cool, however make me work harder to really nail focus with the really dark backgrounds on certain parts of the field.

I need more practice!

Nov 06, 2012 at 02:47 AM
wordski
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

Holy crap. All black jerseys?!?! Focusing/SS nightmare in a high school setting!! yikes.

Good pics! Nice action. Do you ever shoot from the end of the field? Just curious.

Nov 06, 2012 at 03:25 AM
luke0622
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

I'd say a little more tighter cropping on certain shots...

Nov 06, 2012 at 03:28 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

no expert by any means so take this for what it is but i think a few could benefit from a tighter crop

Ben

Nov 06, 2012 at 03:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

luke0622 wrote:
I'd say a little more tighter cropping on certain shots...

That would also be my "take" on the images. Many of them have distracting things in the foreground or background that could be cropped out. With a couple of them I had a hard time finding the ball and in that last action image I couldn't find it at all.

Nov 06, 2012 at 04:29 AM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

Wordski - Thanks for commenting, appreciated. Yes I do sometimes shoot from end zone or behind end zone. Biggest issue with this field layout is either dark blacked out trees for background on about 25% of the field stands on both sides then a crazy distracting fence line/concrete wall on the other end zone.

I do not like the feel of flash for games, so capturing light forces me to hang around the 30 yard line on both sides so I can catch lit faces. The main problem from shooting from end zone here is you wont get under the helmet without flash.

The action of the game has a huge impact I am finding out as well. This game was really lots of bunched up running and everybody on top of each other. Made it a challange, something I will have to learn how to do even better!

Thanks

Nov 06, 2012 at 12:30 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

Scott, Luke, Ben - Cropping.

The thoughts as to why on this set I cropped wide was working the linemen into my shot. I was hoping to try and display how they worked as a unit and created a wall for the backs. Then the last action shot with no ball was the defense stopping the run on 4th down. Again none of that after looking at the shot conveyed it.

Just something I will have to continue to try and display so the crop works better.

Scott - I see what you are talking about on 2 and 3 about foreground elements blurred out and taking away from the subject. Hopefully that is what you meant about that comment. also #9 was the only one I couldn't find the ball when it was in play. Hope thats what you meant.

The other pics where my attempt to try and show a tad of the unity the team (Seniors) has towards each other.

MANY THANKS for everybody's input. I will keep at it and working on my crops. I may go back now for the first few games and apply what I have been told here and create a post specifically focusing on these comments.

Thanks again everybody.

Nov 06, 2012 at 12:37 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

Manny,

Technical aspects are much better than the last batch that you posted. Colors look MUCH better. Think Scott Sewell and some others have pointed some observations about your cropping that will make your pictures look MUCH better. With your permission, I will take a shot at re-cropping a couple to show you what Scott taught me. Let me know....

Nov 06, 2012 at 12:59 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

rddayton wrote:
Manny,

Technical aspects are much better than the last batch that you posted. Colors look MUCH better. Think Scott Sewell and some others have pointed some observations about your cropping that will make your pictures look MUCH better. With your permission, I will take a shot at re-cropping a couple to show you what Scott taught me. Let me know....

Good Morning!

Sure thing, you are always welcome to show me your thoughts and I appreciate everybodys help here. I appreciate the comments on the colors and such. It was really something that bothered me and glad our little talk helped me reel it back it to a better presentation.

Looking forward to seeing your crops.

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:17 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

Thanks Manny,

I don't ever touch someone else's pictures without permission. I will grab a couple shots when I get home and re-crop. Hopefully it will demonstrate what I think they are talking about.

RD

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:27 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

rddayton wrote:
Thanks Manny,

I don't ever touch someone else's pictures without permission. I will grab a couple shots when I get home and re-crop. Hopefully it will demonstrate what I think they are talking about.

RD

Thanks!

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:30 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

Here are four re-crops. Image quality suffered a bit because of working with jpeg files and re-cropping your original, but hopefully you get the idea.

NIKON D3S    120.0-300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/800s    12800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:58 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

rick - Many thanks for taking the time and doing this. I do like what you have done and will definitely add the information to my thought process! Tight tight tight!

Have a great night

Nov 06, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Senior Night HS Football - C&C appreciated

Manny,

Just keep in mind that it's not tight just for the sake of being tight, but for the sake of bringing the viewer closer to the key action and removing distractions from the frame. Some of your images are wide and appropriately so given what is included in the frame. Others, particularly those Rick has cropped, are wide with no obvious reason for being so given that the other elements included in the frame were not adding anything of value to the image. Assuming you have the proper lenses for the job, some of this can be taken care of at the time the images are created. Beyond that, it's between your eye and the cropping tool.

Nov 06, 2012 at 11:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password