Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i d...

louloulou
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i don't wanna do it

if she gave you a 72 image shot list I'd be drawing up a contract. Seriously. I've shot two weddings which I gifted to two close friends and they never gave me shot lists.

They did give me presents as a thank you.

This was one of them a 10 kg block of chocolate

Nov 06, 2012 at 05:44 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i don't wanna do it

^ are you for real? A 10Kg block of chocolate

Nov 06, 2012 at 10:39 AM
louloulou
• • •
p.2 #3 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i don't wanna do it

morganb4 wrote:
^ are you for real? A 10Kg block of chocolate

Yes. Truly the best gift I've ever received. It lasted a couple of months.

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:09 PM
Juliewhitlock

p.2 #4 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i don't wanna do it

goosemang wrote:
I'm not worried about the technical aspects of the shooting - that I can manage. I've got a backup body and speedlites on loan from a friend, just in case. I'm not asking for even a penny, so no contract. and Ian, I know you're right.

I've told them I plan on enjoying their wedding and if they want to guarantee anything they need a pro who can be responsible. I made it very clear that they can't expect pro results, and they both are adamant they're ok with whatever I can do. so I'm more comfortable now that I
...Show more

I'd urge you to draw up an agreement that puts all that in writing. That you are not being paid, not guaranteeing any results, no liability, not acting in a professional capacity, no quality etc.

So if nana falls over and twists her ankle while you direct her in a family photo or you scratch the floor of a venue while moving a chair for a photo they don't come after you.

Nov 06, 2012 at 03:54 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.2 #5 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i don't wanna do it

Run away. I'd have declined the moment I saw a six page shot list.

Nov 06, 2012 at 08:35 PM
larhouser
• •
p.2 #6 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i don't wanna do it

Totally don't understand why you wouldn't right a contact. I shot a good friends wedding last year, for free, and had her sign my normal contact.

Whole idea behind contracts is setting the expectation right? Putting it in writing (like the bride did) so there won't be any misunderstandings right?

Regardless of the contracts use as a legal tool its a great device for clarifying expectations, way better than he said/she said anyway.

Nov 12, 2012 at 04:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Edward Castro
• • •
p.2 #7 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i don't wanna do it

larhouser wrote:
Totally don't understand why you wouldn't right a contact. I shot a good friends wedding last year, for free, and had her sign my normal contact.

I did the same thing a few weeks ago.

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:34 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i don't wanna do it

Contract or not, I hope you have all these conversations documented.

Nov 12, 2012 at 05:42 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.2 #9 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i don't wanna do it

larhouser wrote:
Totally don't understand why you wouldn't right a contact.
Whole idea behind contracts is setting the expectation right?

If there's a contract, then the poor photog who's DONATING his time and talents is under an obligation to perform certain things. If there's no contract - and miss Cheapskate Bride is not paying one single dime - then the bride gets what she gets and she better be grateful for whatever that is.

Nov 12, 2012 at 06:46 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.2 #10 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i don't wanna do it

D. Diggler wrote:
If there's a contract, then the poor photog who's DONATING his time and talents is under an obligation to perform certain things. If there's no contract - and miss Cheapskate Bride is not paying one single dime - then the bride gets what she gets and she better be grateful for whatever that is.

The contract also sets expectations and rights and obligations for both parties. Without a contract, you are taking your life in your own hands.

Nov 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM
unangelino
• • •
p.2 #11 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i don't wanna do it

How many people total?

Just wondering how she arrived at 72 photos. Seems like a lot for what's being described as a (very) small wedding.

Perhaps a casual sit-down would help you and the bride to be get a better sense of what's reasonable versus what she's expecting?

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #12 · well, i shouldn't have done it, but i did it, and now i don't wanna do it

so i shot this on saturday. it went quite well, i think. she actually had a family member round up everybody and we banged out the "list" images in about 20 minutes. the rest of the time i just shot however i wanted.

not sure if i mentioned it but a couple weeks before i went to the temple with them to check out the lighting, discuss expectations, etc. so we were in a good place going into this.

a few things i learned:

- make sure you take like 10 shots of each picture because invariably someone has their eyes closed in EVERY ONE

- if i did this professionally i'd buy a 24-70 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8, because i changed (prime) lenses WAAAAAAAAAY too many times

- i'm out of shape

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password