Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Wahclella Falls, Oregon

Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Wahclella Falls, Oregon

squirl033 wrote:
nice image... love the deep, rich greens. looks like this was shot from down below and slightly upstream from the bridge? almost has an "Orton" feel to it, especially in the foliage in the top 1/3 or so of the image...

Thank you very much!

This was shot way upstream from the bridge with a wide angle. There are some rocks that you have to wade over to, to get this position. I often take my more gutsy clients to this spot because it yields some very good and more original compositions IMO.

As far as "Orton." I have innovated a variety of custom highlight glow techniques that are sort of "icing on the cake" if used very carefully and subtly. They will be revealed soon in my coming DVD series. But I usually don't use much or any type of generic highlight glow (Orton). I carefully do my own more advanced way of softening micro contrast in specific highlights in a more controlled localized fashion. It is hard to explain. But yes, nearly every image I ever work on gets some level of help in the highlights so they don't look too flat (which I believe they most often do without the help).

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:01 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Wahclella Falls, Oregon

Lee Wiren wrote:
It's well deserved Mark. I have been there 3 times and have never been satisfied with my shots... that falls seems to pose my biggest challenge and I have never gotten a very decent shot that I am proud of.... I think your shot is so well composed and the focus stacking is a nice touch, great greens.... now that I see that such a beautiful shot can be had, I have to plan to get back out there and try again....

Lee, I agree. The area poses so many options it can be quite overwhelming. Ever try just going here before sunrise and then spending 1/2 the day just doing test shots (hand held) to somewhat exhaust your options, and then go back the next day to tackle the best of the bunch? Personally I hate the pressure to pull off something on the fly (although I have to do it often). I would rather separate my shoot into a pre shoot, where I just jack up the ISO and try every imaginable composition I can think of, and then later at the campsite evaluate the shots and go back to get it. This is what I try to teach people. Don't show up and immediately try to get that one shot. Spend quality time with your subject-matter with absolutely no pressure or obligations. Then you will usually come up with something you like a lot, and can optimize that focused shoot another time.

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:23 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password