Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       end
  

Archive 2012 · A dedicated Leica Forum??
  
 
rattymouse
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · A dedicated Leica Forum??


edwardkaraa wrote:
Hahaha, I assure you I'm not paranoid. I'm very honored by the compliments though, since I admit I'm sensitive to flattery

Likewise, if you ever visit this not too far part of the world, I will buy you a non alcoholic beverage of your choice!!!


I meant to ask you, do you speak Thai?

I loooove Thai food, but my choices are limited as I'm vegetarian.




Nov 10, 2012 at 09:53 AM
edwardkaraa
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · A dedicated Leica Forum??


rattymouse wrote:
I meant to ask you, do you speak Thai?

I loooove Thai food, but my choices are limited as I'm vegetarian.



I do speak Thai, and read it as well.

So you don't drink, you don't eat meat, and I'm pretty sure you don't smoke. Are you trying to live forever?

The best thing about Thai food is the seafood variety. Even vegetarian dishes have some meat added, usually porc fat, for added taste. I'm afraid you won't find anything to eat around here



Nov 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM
rattymouse
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · A dedicated Leica Forum??


edwardkaraa wrote:
I do speak Thai, and read it as well.

So you don't drink, you don't eat meat, and I'm pretty sure you don't smoke. Are you trying to live forever?

The best thing about Thai food is the seafood variety. Even vegetarian dishes have some meat added, usually porc fat, for added taste. I'm afraid you won't find anything to eat around here


That's great you can truly integrate into the culture there. Not living forever, but just doing what I can to live long and shoot a lot of images!

I've been to Thailand twice and enjoyed what food I could eat. I had locals to help me but I'm sure some fish oil snuck into some of my dishes.

Anyway, off topic. Enjoy your evening and Sunday.





Nov 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM
ricardovaste
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · A dedicated Leica Forum??


"Even vegetarian dishes have some meat added, usually porc fat, for added taste. I'm afraid you won't find anything to eat around here"

Oh that's a little disturbing. We were interested in going to Thailand, but it would have to be a meat-free visit.

p.s. I wish the quote button added a "box" around the quoted text here on FM, as I do find it a little difficult to read at times w/o...



Nov 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM
edwardkaraa
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · A dedicated Leica Forum??


Rattymouse and Richard, indeed it's very difficult to eat true vegetarian Thai food. There are some specialized restaurants, but otherwise, some animal ingredients will inevitably be added. Most vegetarian dishes are cooked in oyster sauce. Fish sauce and pork fat are not uncommon ingredients. On the bright side, there are plenty of Italian, Indian, middle eastern restaurants that offer vegetarian dishes.

If any of you makes it to Bangkok, be sure to let me know



Nov 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM
ricardovaste
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · A dedicated Leica Forum??


I'd just be concerned about what effect it my have on my partner more than myself. As I do still eat meat, just very rarely (more to not cause trouble with family, but that's another story). Helena has never eaten meat (nor will!), I've heard your body can have adverse effects if introduced suddenly... And well, we love Indian & Italian, but you don't go to Thailand for them . But good to know of this anyway, so we can at least do some research on specialized restaurants etc beforehand.

Will do!



Nov 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



rattymouse
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · A dedicated Leica Forum??


By mistake once I forgot to reserve vegetarian meals on one of my Chicago to Hong Kong flights. That's 15 hours without food. To make matters worse, I got on the plane with my stomach empty. I broke down and ate a bit of Chicken. That was my first bite of meat in nearly 12 years. It didnt do anything bad to me. I have never heard of any adverse affect of eating meat after abstaining or never eating it for a long time.

And even outside of Thailand, you have certainly had some animal products ingested. They are absolutely impossible to avoid.



Nov 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM
ricardovaste
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · A dedicated Leica Forum??


rattymouse: You can read the labels of things and cook fresh. Pretty easy to avoid animal products on a day-to-day basis


Nov 10, 2012 at 11:47 AM
rattymouse
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · A dedicated Leica Forum??


ricardovaste wrote:
rattymouse: You can read the labels of things and cook fresh. Pretty easy to avoid animal products on a day-to-day basis


Not everything is labeled. And you dont see the kitchen when you eat out. I assume you never eat out then?




Nov 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM
ricardovaste
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · A dedicated Leica Forum??


@rattymouse: Yes, things are very clearly labelled in the UK. There has been a good amount of progression in this area over the past few years, focusing mostly on where food is sourced (eg is it from the UK, is it local, is it sustainable), how it is sourced (eg: is it ethically sourced) and the ingredients (be it actual fat/salt content, or whether it is suitable for people with specific requirements eg: vegetarian, gluten free).

I do occasionally venture out side . Yes, we do eat out as well. Perhaps different for us though, but things like pork fat, fish source, oyster sauce are not common in non Asian-type foods. If we're eating Italian, Spanish, or just something seasonal (meaning vaguely English-French-Italian food) it's very easy to see whether meat is used or not. There are things you're familiar with (eg parmesan) that you just avoid, or ask for something else. It's not difficult, but I can understand how it might be different elsewhere.

I'm pleased a Leica discussion as tilted towards something I have an opinion about for a change, rather than just watches



Nov 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM
helimat
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · A dedicated Leica Forum??


edwardkaraa wrote:
Rattymouse and Richard, indeed it's very difficult to eat true vegetarian Thai food. There are some specialized restaurants, but otherwise, some animal ingredients will inevitably be added. Most vegetarian dishes are cooked in oyster sauce. Fish sauce and pork fat are not uncommon ingredients. On the bright side, there are plenty of Italian, Indian, middle eastern restaurants that offer vegetarian dishes.

If any of you makes it to Bangkok, be sure to let me know


As luck would have it, I am coming over in the New Year. I would appreciate any tips on places to go...



Nov 10, 2012 at 06:14 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · A dedicated Leica Forum??


rattymouse wrote:
By mistake once I forgot to reserve vegetarian meals on one of my Chicago to Hong Kong flights. That's 15 hours without food. To make matters worse, I got on the plane with my stomach empty. I broke down and ate a bit of Chicken. That was my first bite of meat in nearly 12 years. It didnt do anything bad to me. I have never heard of any adverse affect of eating meat after abstaining or never eating it for a long time.

And even outside of Thailand, you have certainly had some animal products ingested. They are absolutely impossible
...Show more

Yeah, my wife was a vegetarian for 20 years, and then starting eating steaks occasionally, especially when she was pregnant, and she had no issues.

There are actually some great vegetarian Thai restaurants all the way out here in Los Angeles.



Nov 12, 2012 at 01:39 AM
1       2       3       4      
5
       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password