Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2012 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

redisburning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

I see some people saying that there would be less activity; well if it's Millsart's activity then that seems like a positive to me.

Nov 09, 2012 at 05:55 PM
Planetwide
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

zhangyue wrote:
Millsart: You totally miss the point, I don't even know what are you talking about! There is nothing to do $7000 camera, or elite status of leica, I have zero Zero feeling about leica's elite status. Looks that is in your mind more than mine.

You make a good point for m4/3 forum though, why people care about it only have to surf all those 'elite' leica thread or zeiss image.

The point I am trying to make is not just for leica but trying to do something with this forum as things change a lot lately for mirrorless thrive.
...Show more

.+1

Nov 09, 2012 at 06:06 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

Edited on Nov 09, 2012 at 06:27 PM · View previous versions

Nov 09, 2012 at 06:23 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

Split to Leica, MFT, Sony, and the remaining brands as Others.

Nov 09, 2012 at 06:23 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

carstenw wrote:
I agree 100%: the mix makes it great. Most other forums are so boring because they are so uniform.

Agreed. I'm not sure I'd still come to Miranda forums very often if the alt forum was all split up. It's not as if this forum is so busy that pages go by every day.

Nov 09, 2012 at 07:10 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

douglasf13 wrote:
Agreed. I'm not sure I'd still come to Miranda forums very often if the alt forum was all split up. It's not as if this forum is so busy that pages go by every day.

+100

there at least 10 other single brand forums for whatever brand you shoot and I never look in any of them even though some of them cover what I shoot better. the single brand forums get ridiculous with brand loyalty and are terrible for having the same questions and debates over and over again. here we just have a biannual "zeiss/3d do you see it" thread and otherwise things aren't to repetitive. also, photographic skill seems higher here than most gear forums. but what really makes this forum great is that is full of people with different perspectives and experience that mostly manage to avoid flame wars. if you want something specific for leica rff and getdpi are better options than what you'd get splitting off from this forum.

Nov 09, 2012 at 08:37 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

Funny how some are so quick to proclaim Leica snobbery and elitism.... It seems to come up every now and again whenever there is a "hint" of someone having a preference for anything Leica. I rarely see this happen with any other brands. Pretty sad really....

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:02 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

I'm also happy to have it stay as it is.

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:27 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

I have been a leica user for just a year or so, but I noticed the Leica hostility on this forum very long time ago. I didn't think it would affect me personally but to be honest, it is starting to get on my nerves already. Someone asked why not open more Leica related questions or threads, but why would anyone want to do that? The thread turns very quickly into a Leica bashing thread, and worst of all, a Leica owner bashing thread. By non Leica users mind you.

Even in this thread, you can see a few good bashing examples

It seems this brand attracts hatred and hostility for some strange reason, and often from people who otherwise are civil and considerate.

Nov 09, 2012 at 09:27 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

When you spend money on Leica stuff you certainly want a support group to reaffirm to you that you're on the right track, you have not wasted your money, you're not a poser, and your Leica will make you a better photographer. Forums are perfect for this support group fix and if there would be a Leica forum here, it will most likely create traffic, which is always a good thing.

I neither get the Leica hate by many nor do I care for oversensitive but inwardly smug Leica people. I judge photographers by their images.

Nov 09, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Planetwide
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

edwardkaraa wrote:
I have been a leica user for just a year or so, but I noticed the Leica hostility on this forum very long time ago. I didn't think it would affect me personally but to be honest, it is starting to get on my nerves already. Someone asked why not open more Leica related questions or threads, but why would anyone want to do that? The thread turns very quickly into a Leica bashing thread, and worst of all, a Leica owner bashing thread. By non Leica users mind you.

Even in this thread, you can see a few good
...Show more

Well said.

Nov 09, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

edwardkaraa wrote:
It seems this brand [Leica] attracts hatred and hostility for some strange reason...

I think its mostly contempt and mockery, hostility and hatred is reserved for those who shoot with an iPad.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM
_julian_
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

Why would Leica RF users choose to exile themselves to their own dark corner? Shouldn't such harsh punishment be reserved for Holga users..

And there are probably more modern DSLR shooters using Leica R glass than Leica film SLR shooters. Should they be included or excluded in a Leica specific forum? Would I be welcome as the owner of a bunch of Leica M lenses even though I don't (yet) own a Leica RF body? How are the demarcation contexts chosen?

This forum is unique in it's ability to generate self-organizing threads where a given topic and discussion, can be pursued for hundreds of pages (I've spent many evenings backreading a single thread). That topics don't have to have a specific manufacturer but can range freely as the topic demands, is what makes them so lively and interesting and different to everything else out there imho.

Nov 10, 2012 at 01:16 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

I think we ought to make a new sub-forum and punt all the Leica-haters over there.

Nov 10, 2012 at 03:22 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

carstenw wrote:
I think we ought to make a new sub-forum and punt all the Leica-haters over there.

oooh, there's an idea. in addition to all the specific brand forums there could be other forums dedicated to specific brand hating. i think i'd still just prefer a general haters forum for hate'n on all the brands as different individuals deem fit.

Nov 10, 2012 at 03:29 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

Note similarities between the One Ring and a Leica. The wearer, or bearer, of the object is filled with ecstacy, yet tortured by the great price paid for its possession. Clutching the precious tightly, even when sleeping, is a given. When actually used, the wearer acquires a mantle of invisibility, even on a sunny street. The red Eye of Sauron, or Leica meatball, can sometimes be seen reflected on the object, signifying its true owner. When heated to high temperatures (or at least held to light just so), runes appear with forbidden verse and serial numbers. Meanwhile, strangers and travelling companions who behold the object are filled with wonder, then covetousness and, finally, an overwhelming urge to grab the object for meeeeeeeee. Any attempt to hurl the Leica into the churning lava of Mount Doom, and destroy the ancient evil forever, is thwarted by the enfeebled wills of all but Sauron himself (and the Unconditional Replacement Warranty).

LOTR fan (and Leica user)

Edited on Nov 10, 2012 at 04:11 AM · View previous versions

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:07 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

Sounds like "lust".

Pretty funny to see it paralleled with LOTR tho.

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:10 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

Exdsc wrote:
I think its mostly contempt and mockery, hostility and hatred is reserved for those who shoot with an iPad.

I think Edward is a wee bit paranoid.

Has anyone in this thread bashed a person? There is a big difference between hating a brand of camera vs hating a person who uses said brand. I find Leica (the company and brand) to be repugnant in an extreme way. Yet I have absolutely NO ill will towards any user, ESPECIALLY Edward. I'd buy him a beer any day, or if he is like me and abstains from alcohol, any other drink of HIS choice. He's an excellent photographer and I go out of my way to view his images.

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:10 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

rico wrote:
Note similarities between the One Ring and a Leica. The wearer, or bearer, of the object is filled with ecstacy, yet tortured by the great price paid for its possession. Clutching the precious tightly, even when sleeping, is a given. When actually used, the wearer acquires a mantle of invisibility, even on a sunny street. The red Eye of Sauron, or Leica meatball, can sometimes be seen reflected on the object, signifying its true owner. When heated to high temperatures (or at least held to light just so), runes appear with forbidden verse and serial numbers. Meanwhile, strangers and travelling
...Show more

My preciousssssssss!

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:11 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · A dedicated Leica Forum??

rattymouse wrote:
I think Edward is a wee bit paranoid.

Has anyone in this thread bashed a person? There is a big difference between hating a brand of camera vs hating a person who uses said brand. I find Leica (the company and brand) to be repugnant in an extreme way. Yet I have absolutely NO ill will towards any user, ESPECIALLY Edward. I'd buy him a beer any day, or if he is like me and abstains from alcohol, any other drink of HIS choice. He's an excellent photographer and I go out of my way to view his images.
...Show more

Hahaha, I assure you I'm not paranoid. I'm very honored by the compliments though, since I admit I'm sensitive to flattery

Likewise, if you ever visit this not too far part of the world, I will buy you a non alcoholic beverage of your choice!!!

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:14 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.