Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

markd61
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

I have both the 5Dmk2 and the mk3. Both deliver superb results and I used to make the argument that the mk3 was not worth it for my business as I could not see the value of the features for the money.
I changed my mind when I tested one at a camera shop. Subjectively it is more solid and feels great in the hand. The silent shutter is a great feature that reduces vibration and sound and enhances the subjective impression of a finely crafted precision instrument. In my business I am increasingly shooting candids of VIPs in small, poorly lit rooms. This camera has been a game-changer in that I can be only a few feet away and the subjects do not hear the shutter.

The AF absolutely makes the day for me. After my first shoot of a model outdoors in varied lighting conditions it was as if I had bought new lenses the images were markedly sharper and had a far higher keeper rate. The mk2 is no slouch in sharpness but the reduced vibration coupled with the super accurate AF of the mk3 really is visible.

I still use my mk2 but only as back up. I will be selling it shortly as the mk3 is just that good.

ETA: I also like the electronic level as I am an architectural photographer. Makes leveling the camera for my TS lenses a breeze. Locking mode dial is a plus. Dual card slots nice too.

Nov 06, 2012 at 04:19 AM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.3 #2 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

Iím still chunking through the manual after moving from the 5D2. I have to say Iím pretty blown away by the Mk3.

My 50L is acting ever so well, nailing every shot I take with it. I have to echo other posters.

I was resistant to buying this body (my missus still is...) but now I have it Iím totally sold. This is a big leap forward for me. I bet there isnít too many people who moved from the Mk2 to the Mk3 who are complaining after they have this camera in their hands.

Nov 06, 2012 at 04:46 AM
alexdi
• •
p.3 #3 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

With that kit, yes, it's worth it. The 5D II demands a lot of safety shots with fast glass. If you don't mind throwing out half your files (which is perhaps reasonable if you're just shooting for fun), then sure, save the money.

Nov 06, 2012 at 05:05 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

alexdi wrote:
With that kit, yes, it's worth it. The 5D II demands a lot of safety shots with fast glass. If you don't mind throwing out half your files (which is perhaps reasonable if you're just shooting for fun), then sure, save the money.

With Eg-S focussing screen, you will make all fast lenses sharper every shot. Here is 50L wide open sample

Nov 06, 2012 at 06:15 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.3 #5 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

I would say get the 5DII and pair it with your 7D. The two would be a nice landscape/wildlife/sports combo.

-Nick

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:18 PM
claymiller

p.3 #6 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

Your comments are greatly appreciated. Will I need to micro-adjust each lens on my new Mark III? I have never done that on my 7D but maybe I should micro-adjust my 7D as well. I have been intimidated by the process. I get lots of shots that are perfectly in focus with all of my lenses but I do have alot of throw-aways.

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:42 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.3 #7 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

claymiller wrote:
Your comments are greatly appreciated. Will I need to micro-adjust each lens on my new Mark III? I have never done that on my 7D but maybe I should micro-adjust my 7D as well. I have been intimidated by the process. I get lots of shots that are perfectly in focus with all of my lenses but I do have alot of throw-aways.

Probably not. It would be worth seeing how much MA you need for any lens with a large aperture or a big telephoto (ie narrow dof). I had mild back focus on a 400mm lens that really shaped up nicely with just +6 ma. I notice a big difference.

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

alexdi wrote:

Hyperbole alert! (Or perhaps a photographer who needs a bit more practice... ;-)

nburwell wrote:
I would say get the 5DII and pair it with your 7D. The two would be a nice landscape/wildlife/sports combo.

+1

Dan

Nov 06, 2012 at 03:18 PM
alexdi
• •
p.3 #9 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

gdanmitchell wrote:
Hyperbole alert! (Or perhaps a photographer who needs a bit more practice... ;-)

Go shoot moving targets with fast glass in dim light and see if you don't agree. My last gig was at a skating rink. Over a third of the AI-servo files with a single target are throwaways.

Nov 07, 2012 at 07:26 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.3 #10 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

Worth it, I can't say since I don't make money from my photos.
I will say I just shot some indoor low light family photos without flash at iso 10,000, manual mode with auto iso, dof preview button toggling between ai servo/one shot, joystick adjusting focus point on the fly.
Wow - amazing. So much easier than struggling with my 5dc and 5d II.

Nov 08, 2012 at 03:11 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

gdanmitchell wrote:

+1

Dan

Safety shots. Hmm, never called them that?
Machine gun shooting, maybe.
Seriously, practice & technique help as much if not more than a new camera
Dan

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:02 AM
alexdi
• •
p.3 #12 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

dswiger wrote:
Safety shots. Hmm, never called them that?
Machine gun shooting, maybe.

No. A safety shot is when you focus, take the picture, and then start over and do it again because you can't trust that your camera's AF hit it the first time and the viewfinder doesn't have the precision to tell you. Case in point: the 5D II and the outer focus points.

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:35 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · 5d MarkIII worth the extra $1200.

I believe you, Alex. I have 5D2 myself 1/3 shallow dof is not easy for any 5D1/2 AF point. I gave up and get Eg-S to help its AF

Nov 08, 2012 at 06:45 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password