Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

Yeah I don't know how this will turn out. My feeling is that canon will release a much better second body next year. But I'm also unsure as to how they will approach lenses. Mirrorless with small bodies and huge lenses will be pointless.

Also agree that on the build quality side, the consumer level rebels are a joke. I can't think of one camera maker putting out cheaper feeling bodies except maybe the Panasonic g1, g2, etc.

Nov 02, 2012 at 03:28 PM
jonrock
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

Jman13 wrote:
Of course, then there's Nikon...which...well, really haven't done much.

Nikon at least by putting PDAF on sensor in their Nikon 1 cameras influenced Canon and Sony into also trying it in their respective cameras. I still get the feeling at some point Nikon might try to introduce a APS-C sized mirrorless camera even though that would mean supporting 3 different mounts. They have at least a couple patents pointing in that direction.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/30/nikon-18-55mm-f4-5-6-lens-patent-for-a-mirrorless-aps-c-camera.aspx/

Nov 04, 2012 at 02:23 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

Waiting for some pictures...

Nov 09, 2012 at 07:41 AM
drewpost

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

I've had this camera for about 2 weeks now. Amazon UK has the black body, 18-55mm lens & flash for 648.

I've uploaded over 100 sample images I've taken the past few days for you to take a look at. I've taken most with the 18-55 kit lens but received the EF-M mount adaptor the other day so there are some taken with a 70-200mm 2.8 and a 10-22 EF-S.

This is the link (I'm at a hotel now so they are uploading slowly...)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/22c9qngzfn608fp/eI4yl5pfyA

A few things to note from my experience so far -

- The EXIF data shows the lens as being the 22mm prime. This isn't accurate and only happens with the 18-55 attached.
- There are some flaws with the autofocus. It thinks it's acquired a lock, beeps but the image is completely out of focus. I've noticed this when shooting images with bright lights in them. Christmas trees have been really bad!
- Focus is slow, point and shoot slow, but once the bugs get fixed it will be passable.
- Let me customise to use back focus!

Nov 18, 2012 at 02:18 PM
cyberstudio
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

briantho wrote:
I'd also be interested in how Conurus converted Contax N, and especially Contax 645 lenses through NAM-1 works on The EOS-M. We'll soon know I guess...

Contax N lenses converted by Conurus works very well on EOS M, with autofocus. However, the lens' own aperture ring needs to be set to wide open. (You control the aperture of the lens on the camera body.)

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:33 AM
fall

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

anyone here have used both the eos m and the fuji x100? which one would you say have better af?

thank you.

Nov 22, 2012 at 08:02 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

fall wrote:
anyone here have used both the eos m and the fuji x100? which one would you say have better af?

thank you.

The EOS-M focuses better with EF lenses The raison d'etre of this camera.

For anything else go elsewhere. If you're not bound to the Canon system but want or need a compact system camera, go to the competition. The EOS-M is an overpriced mirrorless that looks pale in comparison to other offerings.

The EOS-M and X100 are very different cameras, apples vs oranges.

The X100 is the camera to be liked for it's sensor performance and the retro style ergonomics. You will love the hybrid viewfinder that the EOS-M lacks. The lens is great in performance while small in size. The build quality is nice. AF is fair for general use, but pathetic in low light conditions. The X100 is not a system camera, you can't change lenses. This camera is meant for people who love the ergonomics and feel of a traditional 'rangefinder type" camera and want that hybrid viewfinder and great image quality.

The EOS-M is a system camera, has image quality and most features and image quality characteristics of the 650D/Ti4 but in a compact mirrorless body. I can't imagine people doubt between these two cameras.

I believe the alternatives for potential EOS-M buyers are more these cameras:

- Sony NEX, for those who want this format and feature set. More choice in different models at a competing price, swivel screens. For the advanced photographer adapters to legacy glass and focus peaking which makes these cameras very well suitable for shooting with non-Sony glass
- Olympus OM-D, a much more advanced camera than this EOS-M, small sized system, current king of the hill in mirrorless. Better AF than Canon's EOS-M, image quality I would say about comparable or even above it if you are not sensitive to the small sensor aspects of m4/3. Pricey if one wants a setup with different lenses but then it is a high quality small system for the advanced amateur and (semi) professional
- Panasonic m 4/3 if video is your first priority. In this area Panasonic seems to be the current leader in compact video hybrids
- a superzoom hybrid model to those who realise they don't really need a system camera but are satisfied with the features and quality of for instance a Powershot SX50
- a Canon G1X if you want a compact large sensor model next to your Canon DSLR setup and can live with no interchangeable lenses on a compact
- the Rebel 650D/T4i which also fits perfectly well into a Canon system, has a plus in features and a better price.
Again, if you are in the market for an X100, I believe the EOS-M is not for you. To the X100 there are other alternatives where the rangefinder and format of the camera are probably much more important and very different from the form factor of the EOS-M and it's competitors. AF is not going to be the differentiator.

Nov 22, 2012 at 08:47 AM
fall

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

eosfun wrote:
The EOS-M focuses better with EF lenses The raison d'etre of this camera.

For anything else go elsewhere. If you're not bound to the Canon system but want or need a compact system camera, go to the competition. The EOS-M is an overpriced mirrorless that looks pale in comparison to other offerings.

The EOS-M and X100 are very different cameras, apples vs oranges.

The X100 is the camera to be liked for it's sensor performance and the retro style ergonomics. You will love the hybrid viewfinder that the EOS-M lacks. The lens is great in performance while small in size. The build
...Show more

thanks eosfun.

the reason i picked the eos m and the x100 is because they are both apsc, have a fast 35mm equivalent lens and a hot shoe. the nex have that zeiss 24mm but its so expensive.

i just want something smaller than my dslr. i used to have a m4/3, i had the gf1 then upgraded to the epl3. i almost always used the 20mm f/1.7 with these cameras, those cameras were great but i wasnt satisfied with the image quality i was getting, i wanted my next upgrade to be apsc.

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:56 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

And why is it that you want to have APS-C exactly?

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Peire
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

I have just played with the EOS M,trying native 22/2 EF-M,a few prime EF lenses and my ZE lenses.I was pleased with the results.

The camera is small like a NEX,solid in feel,has a very good to excellent overall IQ.22/2 EF-M lens is better than Sony 16/2.8 SEL, fairly usable wide open and sharper in corners at any f stop with less CAs.AF with EF lenses is pretty fast (like Canon xxxD series).EOS M to EF adapter allows to control aperture of my ZE lenses and has practical,detachable mount that also helps to balance out big lenses like 100/2 ZE Makro Planar.Touch screen menu is useful,though I would prefer dials.All in all a nice camera.What is really not for me - lack of tilt/swivel screen,lack of focus peaking and EOS-like clumsy live view image magnification.Lack of viewfinder is not an issue in my case - I use it very,very seldom.

So for now I stay with my NEXes.They say the more advanced model of EOS M will be anounced shortly.

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
fall

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

eosfun wrote:
And why is it that you want to have APS-C exactly?

i wanted better image quality than my previous m4/3 cameras, specially around iso 1600 and 3200, thats where i usually shoot. i want a bigger sensor for my next upgrade.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

The latest m4/3 offerings have better image quality than what you had. Especially the OM-D is quite a leap forward, it's hardly more expensive than an EOS-M and a hell more of a camera, better AF and you could stay in the system you already have. The 20/1.7 fits to the OM-D. If you prefer the format of a tiny body or you don't like the retro style of an OM-D the E-PL5 could be an interesting alternative to the EOS-M. It's has a nicer pricing and the high ISO performance has greatly been improved compared to your current Olympus m4/3. I must admit I haven't tested the E-PL5 against the Canon, but from the E-PL5 against the 650D I expect hardly any difference at 1600 and 3200, except for the effect on DOF. If that is what you are after I can understand what you are looking for. This is one of the reasons I am still shooting full frame. Not that the EOS M would be my choice. I still find the NEX series more interesting and even better image quality at lower prices. A good and much more cost effective alternative for the Zeiss on NEX might be the Sigma 19 and 30 for NEX. You can have both for a third of the price of the Sonnar. They are slower, but offer great image quality. Also the great world of adapted legacy glass (often interestng small lenses!) and manual focus peaking would be my choice rather than adapted EF glass that has trouble to lock in focus on the EOS-M. To each his own EOSfun

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:19 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

eosfun wrote:
- a Canon G1X if you want a compact large sensor model next to your Canon DSLR setup and can live with no interchangeable lenses on a compact

Wouldn't the Sony RX100 be a serious alternative?

Nov 22, 2012 at 05:01 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

Wouldn't the Sony RX100 be a serious alternative?

Of course. That one too, Of course my list was not meant as a limited choice of alternatives. In fact the RX100 is great little camera. I suggest fall and other interested posters read the thread dedicated to the little Sony.

Nov 22, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

I am reposting from the canon dslr forum my comment here. It go buried in a debate over where the post should go - passsion about process vs passion over knowledge.

------------------------

I bought one

I bought it knowing that focus was an issue.[ focus with the 22f2 is slow but with the zoom is pretty good at the store when I bought it. However, you really want the 22f2 to work because its small and having the zoom on makes it big. And walking around with lots of lens/adapters defeats the purpose ]

My rationale was -
1) It is aps-c so the quality is very high for IQ
2) Review of the lens are good
3) I coudl use my existing lens with it
4) And most importantly, often my wife complains when I carry a massive bag around, while strolling hand in hand in a romantic walk

So far:
1) focus is challenging with the 22f2, and don't botther with the 100-400 - its really bad. But the 17-55f2.8IS seemed okay. The focus is adequate for landscape but difficult for moving subjects.
2) image quality is very good and approaching my 7d.
3) The touch screen menu takes such time to get used to that I would not expect my wife to use it unless I left it on the right setting. It is somewhat intuitive if you have used (really used) a canon but for most people they would put it on the default and call it a day [ my wife saw a weasel out the front of our house and wanted to take a picture. It was easier to explain how to use my 7d with 100-400 than eos-m over the phone - eg put lens on - turn to c1 and blast away]
4) The features (HDR, autobracketing, ...) are comprehensive for landscape but you won't see Laurel using them.

On balance I am happy with my purchase because I can walk arm in arm with my wife and stop for landscape shots or put a 17-55 on it and do pretty well.

However I suspect most mortals will either find i) autofocus is barely adequate for family snapshots with the wide pancake lens, and iii) the feature set is too complicated and they don't want it.

So for those of us (likely all here) that want a really good quality camera with lots of optionality that you can take when a full camera just does not fit in, but is not adequate for sport, and is barely adequate for family snap shots inside, but is pretty good outside, its a good buy. But for others, buy the the g12.

I did not try my 600 f4 /1.4 with it

[PS. In reading my mini-review it sounds very negative - remember I am happy with the compromise.I just think that the 22mmf2 needs replacing with a better lens 22mmf2 that is faster]

----------------

Since I posted that I did some testing on auto focus. Here are the scientific results based on focusing on the arm of my chair and then switching to focussing about 10' away.
22mmf2 stm 1s
18-55 stm 3/4s
24-105f4ISL 3s vs less than 1/4s on 7d
17-55IS f2.8 2s vs less than 1/4s on 7d
70-200 f2.8 is 1.5s vs 1/2s on 7d
[The focus speed on all lens did not vary much between long and short ranges]
Which brings me to the conclusion, don't buy this for interchangability because you won't enjoy the speed.

Buy it for the fact that its apsc (pretty good iso performance), pretty good quality iq, cheaper in kit than olympus m or sony nx.

And again, for me with my goal (occasional use when my dslr would be intrusive) its the right choice.

And don't bother with the adapter.

Scott

Nov 23, 2012 at 05:17 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

I tried out the EOS-M with 18-55 in a camera shop yesterday, AF was faster than expected, and no hunting, in other conditions it may do worse.
I found my self looking for an EVF multiple times and not finding any.
It's build quality is very good, nothing felt cheap, way better than the P&S's, like going from a rebel to a 1D.
If they add an EVF and a few more buttons and dials, then add focus peaking, it would definitely get my attention.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:50 AM
dshigeno

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

FYI:

The EOS M + 22mm/F2 kit w/free shipping is on sale on sale at Newegg for $549.99. You have to add the kit to your shopping cart and then go to the checkout page before it will show you the $549.99 price. Tempting...

Canon EOS M Black 18 MP Compact Mirrorless System Camera with EF-M 22mm STM Lens

DTS

Mar 14, 2013 at 07:39 PM
kahren
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon EOS-M - First User Impressions

Peire wrote:
I have just played with the EOS M,trying native 22/2 EF-M,a few prime EF lenses and my ZE lenses.I was pleased with the results.

The camera is small like a NEX,solid in feel,has a very good to excellent overall IQ.22/2 EF-M lens is better than Sony 16/2.8 SEL, fairly usable wide open and sharper in corners at any f stop with less CAs.AF with EF lenses is pretty fast (like Canon xxxD series).EOS M to EF adapter allows to control aperture of my ZE lenses and has practical,detachable mount that also helps to balance out big lenses like 100/2 ZE Makro
...Show more

+1

Mar 14, 2013 at 08:16 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password