Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8       end

Archive 2012 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

arnold1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

claymiller wrote:
$2804 at www.eastcoasttvs.com Looks ligit but have never bought from them.

Are they an authorized Canon dealer?

Nov 06, 2012 at 02:36 AM
claymiller

p.7 #2 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Apparently not. This is confusing to me because they have the Canon logo on their website and carry many models of Canon Cameras. Please explain how this is bad for the consumer if you get a USA warranty. Thanks.

Nov 06, 2012 at 03:32 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.7 #3 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Canon logo on the website does not mean anything--it just says they sell Canon goods. If they were a Canon authorized dealer, they would want to advertise that than not. I looked all over their website and did not see anything suggesting that they were. In which case I would highly doubt if the item will have a USA warranty.

Nov 06, 2012 at 04:46 AM
mlawless

p.7 #4 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

After reading some posts here and hearing about B&H's reluctance to sell for anything below MAP, I contacted them and inquired about "last week's 5DIII price" before MAP went into effect. I am happy to say that I placed an order on what I consider a fair/good price and can't wait for the camera.

I can tell you that from a first hand experience B&H is willing to work with customers to get around this issue, but I think you have to be somewhat specific about wording because they are obviously very cautious about not violating the policy.

PS: Henry is a great resource on this forum and I am very happy to see my preferred vendor participating here as well as willing to work with the customer and community to do things that make sense.

Nov 06, 2012 at 11:29 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #5 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

arnold1 wrote:
Canon logo on the website does not mean anything--it just says they sell Canon goods. If they were a Canon authorized dealer, they would want to advertise that than not. I looked all over their website and did not see anything suggesting that they were. In which case I would highly doubt if the item will have a USA warranty.

It would be worthwhile to find out for sure.......after all, as an example, they sell 5DMkIII for $2,788 which is significantly cheaper than B&H and their kin.

Nov 06, 2012 at 11:36 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.7 #6 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

henryp wrote:
I'll hold your hand while you count. :-)
Imported from HongKong might well be considered "grey market" by Canon USA. That'd mean no warranty service and possibly no ability do download/install firmware updates.

No offense to you but you're being naive. Here's what can happen to a retailer (ANY retailer) who violates MAP. Loss of co-op advertizing money. Loss or reimbursement for rebates. The vendor can (and will) refuse for some period of time to ship more of the item whose MAP price was violated. The vendor can (and will) refuse for some period of time to ship more of any item
...Show more

First of all, let me apologise if you think I'm belittling what you do, not my intention at all. I'm glad big retailers like B&H and Adorama actually care enough about what people think to send you and Helen here.

By "damage control" in this forum, I simply meant that because the members of this forum are mostly quite savvy in finding the best deal for the gear they want, retailers like B&H have no choice but to tell us to contact them to enquire for the actual selling price. This unfortunately is your job.

Another misunderstanding I'd like to address is the part where I said "I don't think B&H or other American retailers are resisting all that hard to this MAP thing.". I certainly didn't mean for retailers like B&H to behind Canon's back and violate the MAP policy.

I was only wondering if any retailers actually took a stand together and actually told Canon that they're against it, but reading what you said about your attendance in that "retailers' roundtable", I was right about retailers being pro MAP.

I do however, apologise for lumping all the retailers together. I can see how the biggest retailers stand to lose the most from this MAP policy.

I do have one more question though. I noticed some B&H catalogs had just arrived in Australia. Does that mean the pricing in there is invalid?

Nov 06, 2012 at 01:44 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.7 #7 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

mlawless wrote:
After reading some posts here and hearing about B&H's reluctance to sell for anything below MAP, I contacted them and inquired about "last week's 5DIII price" before MAP went into effect. I am happy to say that I placed an order on what I consider a fair/good price and can't wait for the camera.

I can tell you that from a first hand experience B&H is willing to work with customers to get around this issue, but I think you have to be somewhat specific about wording because they are obviously very cautious about not violating the policy.

PS: Henry is
...Show more

So what was the price? Could you share that with us?

Nov 06, 2012 at 02:05 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.7 #8 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

PetKal wrote:

It would be worthwhile to find out for sure.......after all, as an example, they sell 5DMkIII for $2,788 which is significantly cheaper than B&H and their kin.

I agree with you Pete. At $2788, they are selling it for much less that anybody else out there. For me, I like to know if they are not selling grey market goods and I would feel a lot better if we had any FMers who had dealt with this place with a positive experience. Also please see their return policy below:
Your item may be returned within 5 business days of the delivery date. You may request an exchange or a refund. If you are requesting a refund a 10% restocking fee will be deducted from your refund. East Coast TVs will not be liable for any return shipping charges. If you would like to make a return, please call (866) 496-5784 for a Return Merchandise Authorization Number.

Nov 06, 2012 at 02:16 PM
big country
• • • •
p.7 #9 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

i would bet that the larger online retailers are not super happy w/ map pricing, but the smaller mom & pop/brick and motar shops are.

Nov 06, 2012 at 02:23 PM
claymiller

p.7 #10 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

I am actually trying to leverage the same price (2804) from Best Buy, utilizing their price match guarantee. I called East Coast TV this morning and they told me that they are an Authorized Canon Distributor and they sell only USA models. I am going to Best Buy today to try to get them to price match and I will keep you posted. Thanks!

Nov 06, 2012 at 04:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

henryp
• • •
p.7 #11 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

big country wrote:
i would bet that the larger online retailers are not super happy w/ map pricing, but the smaller mom & pop/brick and motar shops are.

Posted this once before ...
Several years ago I attended a retailers' roundtable on MAP in New Jersey. I was the only person from a "big-box" retailer with a substantial mail order and/or web presence. Every other retailer LOVED the whole MAP concept and begged the vendors to cover more products and to raise MAP values so they could charge customers the MAP price without having to dicker over our lower price and maximize profits. If our advertized price for item XX is $MMM and their price is the same, they can more often sell for that advertized price because too many uninformed customers won't know about our lower price.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 06, 2012 at 04:25 PM
big country
• • • •
p.7 #12 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

i saw it henry. i was responding to n0b0. smaller retailers aren't going to stand up to Canon, they are most likely pretty happy and feel that Canon is looking out for them, and Canon may feel happy because they are protecting the value of their product, but i am not sure canon cares so much about map pricing vs selling units of product.

i wonder how many of these people who are upset by this MAP pricing also hate walmart. Offering products at the best possible price while in the mean time, main street can't compete.

Nov 06, 2012 at 04:31 PM
dgdg
• • •
p.7 #13 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

claymiller wrote:
I am actually trying to leverage the same price (2804) from Best Buy, utilizing their price match guarantee. I called East Coast TV this morning and they told me that they are an Authorized Canon Distributor and they sell only USA models. I am going to Best Buy today to try to get them to price match and I will keep you posted. Thanks!

Unfortunately the few price match guarantee's I have bothered to read more about limit the price match comparison to local stores with a physical presence. Hopefully this will work for you.

Unless East Coast TV is merely a d.b.a. name, they are not a Canon Authorized dealer according to Canon.
http://www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/pdf/dealer/CanonAuthorizedDealers.pdf

Nov 06, 2012 at 05:20 PM
pizdets17
• • •
p.7 #14 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

and now BH will not ship cameras like the 5d3 to Canada, you guys are complaining about 3299 that you can "call and get a better price", we pay 3399-3499 with no better price and our dollar is worth more than the US dollar lol. Thanks Canon.

Nov 06, 2012 at 05:57 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.7 #15 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

claymiller wrote:
$2804 at www.eastcoasttvs.com Looks ligit but have never bought from them.

It looks like they use the typical "call to try to squeeze money from customers" tactic, which to me is a big red flag. When I order online, I don't want anyone calling me with bogus "white glove" and "insurance" upsells, much less extended warranty.

If you don't buy the add-ons, it looks like they slow walk/ship the orders.

Typical MO for years from the Brooklyn low ball "scammers." They seem to be slightly more legit than in the past, but most likely grey market.

It looks like they aggressively monitor and manage (bribe customers) to avoid bad reseller ratings too. So if you are smart enough to figure out what is going on and complain, they pay a little to "white wash" their negative reviews.

From Reseller Ratings:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/view/East_Coast_TV_s/page/3

" ordered online. thereafter received call from salesman who informed me there was an additional 1.5% insurance charge not listed on online invoice. Went ahead with purchase as the price was still good. It is now 7 days later and the order has yet to be completed...still listed as processing "

"Update 8:24pm Within an hour of posting my initial review Tony, the manager personally called me. He price matched the current price, offered free hdmi cables, and assured me my tv within 7-10 business days"

Nov 06, 2012 at 05:59 PM
henryp
• • •
p.7 #16 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

pizdets17 wrote:
and now BH will not ship cameras like the 5d3 to Canada,

Can't online but you can email sales@bhphoto.com or phone 800 606-6969 or 212 444-6615 and we'll hook you up.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 06, 2012 at 06:26 PM
pizdets17
• • •
p.7 #17 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

henry you have an email

Nov 06, 2012 at 07:07 PM
claymiller

p.7 #18 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

Best Buy came thru and matched the price at $2,804 plus tax! I have had good luck working with BB.

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:16 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.7 #19 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

claymiller wrote:
Best Buy came thru and matched the price at $2,804 plus tax! I have had good luck working with BB.

Excellent, good to hear that, Clay. Now, all B&H faithfuls who wanna buy 5DMkIII should start calling B&H sales and ask them to match that BB price.
Then please report back on your success with that.

Nov 06, 2012 at 09:50 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.7 #20 · Canon's new MAP pricing begins today!

henryp wrote:
Can't online but you can email sales@bhphoto.com or phone 800 606-6969 or 212 444-6615 and we'll hook you up.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

seems silly but I guess you have to go thru all the steps to get the best price

Nov 07, 2012 at 10:35 AM
       8       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password