Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 550 bare flash - III

I hear you. Keep your nose up. Thanks for your honest replies

Nov 03, 2012 at 12:34 PM
ASKreager
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 550 bare flash - III

I had the same thought about the catch lights. I think these pics are great so only offer this in the vane of Cc and maybe making them even a little better. I like the concept of easy and packing light, so I get the bare flash and letting mom hold it etc. If you (the replier) want a bigger catch light, you can add something like a Lumiquest foldable soft box to your kit. They go on super quick with an elastic/Velcro strap, are maybe 8 times the size of the bare flash, and will effect exposer by a stop or two (so if you are at 1/8 you may be at 1/4 or a little more). You can also use a foldable 20inch umbrella with one or two flashes to get a nice catch light. They are small enough to transport easy. Again, the manual setting is effected. Finally a small reflector positioned correctly (need mom or a light stand and mini boom with CW) also does the job of catch lights and fill flash. Finally as a last little nit, I would probably lighten the iris of these dark eyed beauties a bit just to make them pop more.

I used to shoot with someone like the OP as kind of a team. Them more creative and better at posing and interacting with subjects, me the super tech. it was great. Need to find that again.

Nov 03, 2012 at 12:56 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 550 bare flash - III

ASKreager wrote:
Love the series. Beautiful girls, beautiful light, and great technique.

I love my Nikon 300 f4.0 , but could never go to 30 without tripod. Wish it had VR. 75 or 150 w monopod.

I do not get though why you say the slow speed takes away the harshness. Can u explain more. U say u are shooting f4 at 30-60th so that is not harsh light. That is more like golden light and pictures look like that. Harsh light would be maybe 1/4000 at f4. And your flash pulses are way shorter than the 1/30 so...

Let's say the light level for
...Show more
Said he was shooting with the "300 F4" not necessarily shooting at "F4"

Nov 03, 2012 at 01:57 PM
ASKreager
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 550 bare flash - III

True, but look at backgrounds . Quite blurry. Even with a lot of separation it is not f8 I think.

Oh we'll. enough of my gearheadedness.

Nice photos

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:33 PM
Josiah Jones
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 550 bare flash - III

Pfiltz wrote:
Thanks

Benee, I'm shooting around 30th to 60th of a second with this 300 F4. That alone is killing anything harsh. And the 550 is only 1/8 power, and approx 10 feet away. I shoot everything manual.

She's laying in the street in this shot, and her arm is on the sidewalk.
I'm holding the flash with my left hand.

http://www.keepsakephotography.us/Sam29fall.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous photographs.......all of 'em. This being one of my favs.
You definitely know how to get the best out of the camera/lens/flash.
Josiah

Nov 03, 2012 at 04:46 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 550 bare flash - III

ASKreager wrote:
True, but look at backgrounds . Quite blurry. Even with a lot of separation it is not f8 I think.

Oh we'll. enough of my gearheadedness.

Nice photos

Could be because out is at 300mm...he will chime in and meet us know.

Nov 03, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Pfiltz
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 550 bare flash - III

Evening folks. Just got home. Working on a darkroom....

Every shot was with a 300 f4, shot at f4, and the flash set at 1/8th power. I basically control the bokeh by moving the subject matter relative to their backgrounds.

Nov 03, 2012 at 06:25 PM
ASKreager
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 550 bare flash - III

Well you do a good job. All my comments were nits. Post shoot armchair analysis of every last little thing to make em perfect. Bottom line, I would be quite happy and feeling my money was well spent if my daughter came home with any of these. keep it up.

Nov 03, 2012 at 07:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.