Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · SF World Series celebration and damage

mikehphotos

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · SF World Series celebration and damage

I was at the celebration after the Giants game in front of At&t park. Being an away game, all of the bars nearby were at or slightly above capacity. Basically people hopped over fires, sprayed and drank a lot of champagne and threw bottles at police. It was a drunken but happy mood until midnight when I walked to Market street on my way home. Market is the big main arterial street that feeds from downtown into the highways. There, a group of 15-20 people were kicking and shaking cars that passed. I had put away my camera at this point because I thought I was going home, so I started live-streaming on my iPhone using the Ustream app(I'm still trying to figure out how to put those clips onto youtube).

So a bus starts coming up 3rd street toward Market, and the crowd sees the bus. They rush at it and start kicking the front and side windows. The half-dozen passengers and driver had terrified looks on their faces. While I'm on one side of the bus trying to get a shot of the freaked out people in the bus, someone grabs a steel barricade, which is basically a fence used for events, off of the sidewalk. There was a stack of maybe 3 or 4 of the fence sections. A handful of people take turns slamming, ramming or throwing the metal barricade into the front window.

Meanwhile the Muni driver and passengers inside managed to sneak out the back door. Then someone threw a flaming piece of trash into the window. I saw it under the drivers seat(took a picture of it but it was out of focus ). I didn't think much of it at the time, imagining it wouldn't be able to light the whole thing on fire. But I walked away toward Market again because the fire truck is putting out the trash pile up the street. By the time they put that fire out, I looked back and the front half of the bus is engulfed. I tried to get closer for more pictures but the police arrived and rushed at us. I was almost stampeded by the group closest to the cops as they tried to avoid being hit with batons. My stream ended with police forcing me and a handful of others down the stairs into the BART station as a way to try to make the crowd a bit smaller in any way that they could.

Striped socks by < Mike >, on Flickr

Lighter Fluid by < Mike >, on Flickr

Champ-agne by < Mike >, on Flickr

Embers by < Mike >, on Flickr

Showering in Champagne by < Mike >, on Flickr

Smashy Smashy by < Mike >, on Flickr

Police line by < Mike >, on Flickr

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:02 AM
voltaire
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · SF World Series celebration and damage

This really leaves a bad image of Giants fans. The family and I are big fans but never thought SF Giants fans can be this rowdy. Nevertheless, we'll be going to the parade tomorrow and hopefully none of these would happen tomorrow. The 2010 victory didn't have this much damage to public property. It is just incredible what those 36 arrested people can do.

On the photography side, I admire your street photography. Brave of you to come out there and take photos. Two thumbs up.

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:51 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · SF World Series celebration and damage

Mixed emotions...great shots...

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:19 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #4 · SF World Series celebration and damage

It's the straight up mob mentality. All it takes is a few bad seeds that start spreads like a virus.

Anyway great job capturing it.

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:26 AM
mikehphotos

p.1 #5 · SF World Series celebration and damage

voltaire wrote:
This really leaves a bad image of Giants fans. The family and I are big fans but never thought SF Giants fans can be this rowdy. Nevertheless, we'll be going to the parade tomorrow and hopefully none of these would happen tomorrow. The 2010 victory didn't have this much damage to public property. It is just incredible what those 36 arrested people can do.

On the photography side, I admire your street photography. Brave of you to come out there and take photos. Two thumbs up.

Well to be fair it wasn't just fans. People come out of the woodwork when they know they have an opportunity to break things. But at the same time I think fan-bases try to distance themselves from people who do cause chaos, "it was the anarchists!" is a common response I've been reading. In reality it's a mix, a small group of provocateurs from out of town combined with empowered/riled up drunks following the mob mentality. But since the "fans" for the most part weren't exactly stepping in to stop it, we all kind of deserve to take a hit to our city's image, as sad as that is.

Thanks. It's always risky having $3k in gear dangling around your neck, I got some "I wonder how much that thing is worth" looks from some people and a couple people asking if they could take MY picture with my camera().

That goes without saying I was afraid of getting hit by champagne bottles that people were throwing randomly into the middle of the street, and at one point I was in the middle of a crowd and they started jumping up and down like they were at a 90s punk concert and my camera got bumped into my face. :/ At another point some thug wearing a wife-beater shirt smacked my live-streaming iPhone onto the sidewalk just to be a jerk. Not a fun situation, but the photos made it worth it. I also lost my credit card that night at the bar so now I get to wait a week for a new one.

Since you mentioned street photography I'll also make a little plug for an exhibit coming up on the 11th for everyone on here that's in the SF area. I'm in it as well as a bunch of other awesome photographers. We rented the place out for the day ourselves so come support a bunch of local photogs. Many,myself included, are SF state students as well. The facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/158916784246796/?fref=ts

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:01 AM
mikehphotos

p.1 #6 · SF World Series celebration and damage

Double post

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #7 · SF World Series celebration and damage

I could never conjure up the courage to shoot the images you posted above. I would be way to afraid that my camera would be damaged in the mayhem. Great captures nonetheless.

-Nick

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:11 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · SF World Series celebration and damage

Great captures! I can never understand why victory leads to such senseless violence!
I imagine had Detroit won, the whole city might have been torched as it likely will be tonight.
Douglas

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:12 PM
charlie124

p.1 #9 · SF World Series celebration and damage

Striped Socks is incredible!

thanks for sharing

Nov 01, 2012 at 02:26 PM
dtw757

p.1 #10 · SF World Series celebration and damage

douter wrote:
Great captures! I can never understand why victory leads to such senseless violence!
I imagine had Detroit won, the whole city might have been torched as it likely will be tonight.
Douglas

Is there anything left to burn....it's already a derelict city

Nov 02, 2012 at 03:49 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #11 · SF World Series celebration and damage

The guy breaking the bus windows with the police barrier was identified by facebook posts, with very clear frontside shots. He was arrested a few days later.

There are police whose job it is to peruse facebook, twitter, utube, etc to use public postings to apprehend those committing crime and anticipate problems such as these. In a similar fashion police misconduct has been captured as well and has pumped up neighborhood outcry.
Every cel phone has a built in camera, it seems we are policing ourselves.

Mike K

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Randolph.K

p.1 #12 · SF World Series celebration and damage

Great captures. A few of these images could be incriminating. I'd like to see the idiots identified and caught by the authorities, and banned for life for all Giants hoe games.

Nov 04, 2012 at 02:02 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password