Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · down with bad vendor meals

Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · down with bad vendor meals

Seriously just bring your own food, problem = solved. I got 99 problems but a vendor meal ain't one.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · down with bad vendor meals

another important point to include, if it is a served meal and not a buffet, if they do not provide the photographer with a meal, then they are not likely to get any photos of the food that was served, if it is served to the photographer in a different room, then we get to include the ugly details of said room rather than a beautiful place setting at a regular table in the reception room.... it all does make a difference with those details and how it shows in the images.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · down with bad vendor meals

I've never taken a shot of my own plate of food.....i always grab a shot of someone's fresh plate on the table, or in a servers hand...

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:15 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · down with bad vendor meals

D. Diggler wrote:
+1

Sounds like some unresolved childhood issues

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · down with bad vendor meals

Mark_L wrote:
Seriously just bring your own food, problem = solved. I got 99 problems but a vendor meal ain't one.

Exactly.

I don't photograph weddings to sit with the guests and get fancy meals and feel warm and loved.

Half the time I don't even eat dinner until 11PM on my way home, too busy working. I do keep granola bars / crackers and water in my light stand bag to snack on.

Anyways, it must be a regional thing because here in the Twin Cities and surrounding states I have never, not once been served a "vendor meal". It's ALWAYS been a plate of food just like the guests. I have slipped through the cracks Twice in the 30+ weddings I have shot. No personal offense taken.

In all honesty, don't the Bride and Groom have better things to worry about during the 10 most important hours of their life to date than making sure the photographer feels loved by getting the same fancy food as everyone else?

I really don't mean to be so negative and contrarian, but I never understood the "right" to a nice meal. Unless explicitly stated in the contract, they don't even owe you a vendor meal. Sorry

And as for "sitting with the guests", I prefer to sit by myself in a corner or with the other "help". Why? Because Guests always try to tell me about their niece/nephew who is thinking of being a professional photographer. 1) I don't care, and 2) I don't want to miss any shots because said guests are talking my ear off!!! I just want to eat and get back to work!!

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · down with bad vendor meals

Of all the things wedding photogs complain about these days, this is by far the most laughable. Seriously, in how many other professions do you show up for work and expect to be fed? If it's offered, and fits my work schedule, sure. But as someone else mentioned, I bring my own food (typically some quick energy bar type snacks) and eat when I can squeeze it in. I'm there to work, not eat! I do provide an after work beer/dinner for my crew where we can unwind a bit and review the day. And that is NEVER at the same location as the reception.

Rob

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:06 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · down with bad vendor meals

_Rob_S_ wrote:
Of all the things wedding photogs complain about these days, this is by far the most laughable. Seriously, in how many other professions do you show up for work and expect to be fed? If it's offered, and fits my work schedule, sure. But as someone else mentioned, I bring my own food (typically some quick energy bar type snacks) and eat when I can squeeze it in. I'm there to work, not eat! I do provide an after work beer/dinner for my crew where we can unwind a bit and review the day. And that is NEVER at the
...Show more
I absolutely agree. Except about the part about grabbing dinner with you after the wedding. At 11pm, after already spending 10ish hours with you, with an hour or more drive back home, I just want to haul ass out of there and get back to my family.

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:25 PM
bwield
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · down with bad vendor meals

I would prefer to not be seated with guests...

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:35 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · down with bad vendor meals

This is really a dumb idea. Write a blog post to vent, but starting a complete site dedicated to this is just stupid & childish. You're just going to make us all look bad.

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:36 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · down with bad vendor meals

Most of the weddings we photograph have coordinators on site, and they all tell us to eat FIRST, at the same time as the wedding party. That way we are done way before dinner is even over and can have time to rest for a bit before the toasts and dances start.

I have only had two "vendor meals" and they have actually been great. Guess I get lucky. :-) Usually we just go through the buffet line and eat what everyone else does.

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

larhouser
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · down with bad vendor meals

Seems to me that the problem isn't the B/G but the caterier right? So why aren't we educating them? Professional to Professional. I bet if photographers frequently did something that mad the cateriers job harder we'd hear about it.

How about asking the B/G to provide the name of the caterer before and and send a friendly email explaining that getting food early rather than later and being served in the same room as the guests gives the client a better wedding.

I love good food but I'm not offended by vendor meals - I do HATE having to bug the waite staff to get our team meals because the toasts are coming up in 10min and we need to be moving full tilt boogie by that time.

Best vendor service in SF East Bay - Palm Event Center in Pleasanton- food it served family style and they bring it to a small corner of the room that is just behind and to the side of the B/G table. So you get to eat in private but its a 20ft clear sprint to the head of the action if someone throws a curve ball.

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:35 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · down with bad vendor meals

Quite a few sensitive peeps around here. I've worked in corporate and non-profit businesses for 20+ years. I think supplied meals are an exception. I've never once felt deprived or lonely about it. I simply bring my own lunch. I've gone to lunch with people but I mostly choose to eat in my office alone. If I need to be around the action I make it a point to put my lunch on hold and do so. Same concept when working with weddings.

With all that said I do educate my clients on the importance of seating us with the guest. We eat when they eat. This is something they are reminded of in a wedding detail form that we have them complete weeks prior to the wedding day. They have a very specific question about sitting us with the guest and feeding us. They have an option to say 'no'. It serves to better prepare us....we wouldn't whine about it either way. I suppose we're different that way.

Oct 31, 2012 at 02:52 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · down with bad vendor meals

One time I was given a sandwich, which I didn't eat. It was out in the hot sun all day and was already 3 hours old. My 2nd ate his, and was NOT a happy camper.

The rest of the meals I've eaten or been given were exactly what everyone else ate, and it was glorious.

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:49 PM
Juliewhitlock

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · down with bad vendor meals

It must be a regional thing. Normally I'm fighting food off. There's barely a wedding where the moms don't ask if I've eaten or the bride mouths " did you eat" at me. Or try to send me home with half a cake. On the east coast of Canada we feed our peeps haha! Here food= love! I gain at least 5 pounds each wedding season.

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:23 PM
Sarah Dickerso
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · down with bad vendor meals

This has to be a regional thing. Here, 90% plus of receptions are served buffet-style. If I don't eat it's my own fault. Usually the couple or especially one of the parents are INSISTING we eat. Sometimes they offer us lunch earlier in the day too. We make a habit of going through the line after the wedding party and family has gone, just before the rest of the guests, so we can eat and get right back to work quickly and be 100% good to go when they start in on cake cutting and toasts. The last time I was served a vendor meal (only occurs at plated dinner receptions), I and my 2nd were given chicken caesar wraps and truffle fries and honestly, they were excellent. I was forgotten ONCE this year - plated dinner in a hotel ballroom, on a long day, a HOT (106 degree) day - and the coordinator took us to the hotel bar and told the waitress to make sure our food was #1 priority so we could get right back in there. I had to pay, but oh well, the food was great and it happens. And we got it VERY quickly.

In 115 weddings shot, I've been "forgotten" 3 times. All plated meals. The first the hotel chef made us cheeseburgers and fries and we ate them back in the kitchen (LOVE this venue - they have always taken good care of me), the second was out of town and the bride was HORRIFIED when she realized we weren't on the food count (we'd gone downstairs and ordered at a restaurant on the ground floor of the venue, which also housed a museum and had a food court), and the third was the aforementioned hot day when we went to the hotel bar and ate.

It's really not that big of a deal. Again, maybe it's regional due to the vast majority of our receptions being buffet style.

Sarah

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:19 PM
teebat
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · down with bad vendor meals

The worst is a very popular theme park in Anaheim CA that has "princess" weddings. Not only do they serve you last, but it's a stale ham and cheese sandwich and they take you to a seperate buidling (not just a seperate room) to eat.

Cheap, cheap, cheap!

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:34 PM
ravello

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · down with bad vendor meals

cordellwillis wrote:
Quite a few sensitive peeps around here. I've worked in corporate and non-profit businesses for 20+ years. I think supplied meals are an exception. I've never once felt deprived or lonely about it. I simply bring my own lunch. I've gone to lunch with people but I mostly choose to eat in my office alone. If I need to be around the action I make it a point to put my lunch on hold and do so. Same concept when working with weddings.

+1

Edited on Oct 31, 2012 at 06:01 PM · View previous versions

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:00 PM
Tradition

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · down with bad vendor meals

Lets ignore that quality of the meal for a moment.

how many of you can dispute that getting served earlier rather than later would make your
job easier? (Those of you that bring your own lunch like you're in elementary school because your clients don't
care enough to feed you, this question doesn't apply to you obviously.)

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:00 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · down with bad vendor meals

It's in our contract that if we're shooting longer than 5h, we get fed when the guests do.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:12 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · down with bad vendor meals

Sounds like you're not communicating with the vendor well enough to allow them to understand your needs. Even when I get served last, it's not "last". It's "with". And, quite frankly, I prefer to eat somewhat away from the guests. In a proximity location with a view, mind you.

Book quality clients and you don't have to worry about this.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:15 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password