Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · moving photos outside Lightroom (LR) question

gschlact
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · moving photos outside Lightroom (LR) question

A question about Lightroom that I am hoping someone can answer-

With the non-destructive editing capability of Lightroom, and the maintaining the edits in the LR db, are the edits saved with a specific file id such that if we were to move the file outside of lightroom (regular file-folder move), and then resync'ed LR to the new folder, it would remember the previous edits? If so, what is the technique, because the 1-2 times I tried it, i lost my edits.

It is just so much easier to move the files outside of lightroom especially when you are creating new folders that don't allow dropping of files into them from within LR until they have scanned valid content.

Thanks,
guy

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · moving photos outside Lightroom (LR) question

no, re-synching or re-loading the the images will cause them to be treated as new images and the old edit history will not be applied. What you have to do is right click on one of the files that Lr thinks is "missing" and then find missing file. Then tell Lr where that file now resides and it will re-establish the link in its database. Others that have been moved in the same way will also be found, so if you have moved a bunch of subfolders that share a common parent folder then finding an image in the parent finder will find all of the images in all of the subfolders too - just so long as the relative folder-subfolder hierarchy has not changed.

You can create new folders from within Lr and then move files or other folders to it within Lr. You can also add subfolders in Lr even though they may contain no images.

By the way, by treating file+path as unique database entries instead of just file names, Lr is able to import files that share the same name whether or not they are duplicates. So it's not a poor design feature in Lr.

- Alan

Oct 30, 2012 at 06:36 AM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #3 · moving photos outside Lightroom (LR) question

I saw in a demo but don't know how to get it to occur where LR will auto find the moved files from outside LR on same drive. But how do I get this auto-find behavior without have to tell it where to find them?

As an example, I use one folder for all my new photos. I then process them and export. Fr the originals, I usually wind up them placing the different events into different folders and would love tomhave them auto found, especially if those folders already had synced imaged in them

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

egd5
• • •
p.1 #4 · moving photos outside Lightroom (LR) question

I'm not sure I follow you exactly, BUT, it sounds like you could do the same thing with keywords. Just give each event a keyword then you can attach it to whatever files you want regardless of where they were. Then to see files for that event just click the symbol (arrow, I think) on the far right of the keyword.

Oct 31, 2012 at 01:26 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · moving photos outside Lightroom (LR) question

gschlact wrote:
A question about Lightroom that I am hoping someone can answer-

It is just so much easier to move the files outside of lightroom especially when you are creating new folders that don't allow dropping of files into them from within LR until they have scanned valid content.

Thanks,
guy

1st: rule of thumb is do ALL image moves from WITHIN Lightroom ,

2nd: your edits are contained in the sidecar .xmp file not the actual image file. If you do move files around outside
LR then make sure the .xmp file is moved s well. It's a long time since I've done moves outside and re imports but I seem to remember the a re imported image that had the .xmp file in te same location did keep the edits .

Oct 31, 2012 at 08:02 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #6 · moving photos outside Lightroom (LR) question

As said above, create new folders and move images from within Lightroom. I do not think there is an auto find but if you move a batch of images and then point to one of them, it will find the others. I move within LR so do not have experience with this feature

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:40 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password