Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Express Card Reader

matt4626
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Express Card Reader

The Express Card slot in lap tops always seemed like a good idea. But I can't find anyone still making CF card readers for the Express Card slot...what happened?

Oct 29, 2012 at 06:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Express Card Reader

I'm in the same boat here, having just purchased a new notebook in the last weeks. Apparently the Lexar was very flimsy, which may have contributed to its demise. For now I'm using a USB 3.0 Lexar reader with an Expresscard USB 3.0 adapter, but it is not ideal.

EBH

Oct 29, 2012 at 07:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Express Card Reader

expresscard came and went in the blink of an eye (at least it felt like it). it was the last gasp of PCMCIA. a shame as it offered a nice level of versatility.

my new laptop has a SD reader but it is at least fast being it is a PCIe direct type (80MB/s+ with the speedy cards). and i'm doing USB3 readers for CF/XQD (same as the SD slot)

Oct 29, 2012 at 08:17 PM
LivLif
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Express Card Reader

They are still out there. I'm using the Lexar on for CF, Sandisk for SD and the Sony one for XQD. They are extremely fast and take up very little space in my camera bag.

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Express Card Reader

I found a Lexar Express Card CF reader at Amazon..it's on it's way. Looking forward to testing it against my standard Lexar 3.0 card reader.

Oct 31, 2012 at 07:50 PM
arthurb
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Express Card Reader

I upgraded to a 5d mk2 recently and was very disappointed with the slow transfer speed from the CF card to the Mac using a USB card reader. I bought a second hand Firewire Lexar on EBay for 0.99 (about $1.50). The seller said she could not get it to work with the latest Mac OS. I took a chance and it works fine for me. Much quicker downloads now, minutes rather than hours.

Oct 31, 2012 at 08:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Express Card Reader

Your USB reader or port must be really slow, because USB 3.0 is much faster than FW800.

EBH

Nov 03, 2012 at 02:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Express Card Reader

sjms wrote:
expresscard came and went in the blink of an eye (at least it felt like it). it was the last gasp of PCMCIA. a shame as it offered a nice level of versatility.

my new laptop has a SD reader but it is at least fast being it is a PCIe direct type (80MB/s+ with the speedy cards). and i'm doing USB3 readers for CF/XQD (same as the SD slot)

My ultraportable laptop is a Q3-introduced, ivy bridge model that has a 34/54 PCIe Expresscard slot, so they are not dead yet. It also has a fast SD reader, not that I need it very often.

EBH

Nov 03, 2012 at 02:17 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Express Card Reader

well unfortunately expresscard is pretty much a past tense interface. and a do say this with regret. most likely the SD reader is like mine which is a PCIe device.

enjoy it while you got it.

Nov 03, 2012 at 10:30 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Express Card Reader

I just checked Dell Latitude and Lenovo Thinkpads and they have the Expresscard slots too.

EBH

Nov 03, 2012 at 11:36 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Express Card Reader

you also need to see what is currently available in the plug in end too these days and if its worth it.

Nov 04, 2012 at 12:12 AM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Express Card Reader

Just received Lexar Expresscard CF Reader. After several tests it seems to be the same speed as my Lexar USB 3.0 Card Reader. The card is rather large so no advantage for the Expresscard...will be returning it.

Nov 08, 2012 at 10:59 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Express Card Reader

One advantage is that a precious USB 3.0 port is saved, which may or may not be critical to the user's needs.

EBH

Nov 09, 2012 at 12:47 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password