Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

runamuck
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

Don't insult KR by comparing him to Willard. At least KR has moments of lucidity.

Oct 31, 2012 at 12:51 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

I've always said he's the Rush Limbaugh of the photography world. He's a shock jock without conscience...

KR does far more damage than good...

Oct 31, 2012 at 04:42 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

1) the AF modules are different
2) the buffer memory sizes are different
3) the VF constructions are different
4) the Expeed chips are not identical, though they are of the same basic generation
5) their base boards (main electronic boards) are totally different
6) they don't use the same card read/write chips
7) the sensors are of different makes, have different toppings and different filters
8) they share 0 (zero) mechanical base parts - except for points b and c below

What IS the same:
a) The LCD screen control chip
b) some of the external body button hardware (same basic buttons with same casing and weatherseals)
c) the flash hot-shoe base is identical (and interchangeable)

What he's basically doing is screaming provocative BS all over the place - maybe his site earnings are going down?

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:41 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

M635_Guy wrote:
I've always said he's the Rush Limbaugh of the photography world. He's a shock jock without conscience...

KR does far more damage than good...

You know what's ironic? He is a really smart guy, technically. Has a MS in EE. I think he just got fed up of working "for real" and figured out that he could make more coin and have an easier lifestyle by doing what he does now. Sold out, sort of.

Oct 31, 2012 at 06:36 PM
DigitalBill
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

This is total nonsense.

Just check out the sensors alone ... D800 and D600 share 35.9 x 24

The D4 is an exclusive sensor measuring 36 x 23.9.

I've shot with the D800 and own the D4. They are light years apart in myriad ways.

The D800 is good for what it is ... but it sure ain't a D4 in ANY respect.

Nov 01, 2012 at 08:30 AM
elliowb

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

Avi B wrote:
You know what's ironic? He is a really smart guy, technically. Has a MS in EE. I think he just got fed up of working "for real" and figured out that he could make more coin and have an easier lifestyle by doing what he does now. Sold out, sort of.

I think M635_Guy has hit the nail on the head. Neither 'shock jock' are making false statements. They simply constrain the parameters of their argument very tightly, so it's not false inside the world they construct. However, in the real world it usually doesn't make much sense. It's something akin to the economists assumption 'ceteris paribus,' meaning 'all else held equal.' Only trouble with that assumption is that it is very seldom true.

Regarding potential half truths from KR, I have a question that maybe some of you can help to answer. He makes these claims about the only true or real raw image is shot on film (he has even trademarked some of the terms using real and raw). Within his constraints, the argument makes some sense. He notes that film is always 'readable.' Clearly reading a digital raw file may be a problem in the distant future (I know about Adobe's DNG format as a potential solution, at least it's compatible with Adobe software). He also states that resolution may be changed as scanners improve over time. So this is my question, with cameras like the D800, have we reached a level of resolution that is equal to or greater than film? There is grain in film, especially at higher ISOs, are the pixels of a 36Meg sensor on that scale? Maybe this is a dumb question, since the crystals on the film may be at a molecular scale, but I don't know the answer. And I don't trust KR to answer it.

--- Bill

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:08 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Are the D4, D800 and D600 the same camera with different casing?

I read Ken's D600 review, and he claims his D600 has NO dust inside which I doubt.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:56 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.