Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · Your 50L sharpness ?

Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Your 50L sharpness ?

mttran wrote:
C'mon mate...i see nothing wrong with your comments. After all they are just tools. Cheer

Cheers mate.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nov 12, 2012 at 03:42 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Your 50L sharpness ?

Yakim Peled wrote:
I think I need to apologize for my replies in this thread. They are inappropriate in a technical forum. Sorry.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

I'm going to slightly disagree. A claim is sometimes made in "technical forums" that it is inappropriate to counter claims about "technical" issue by making points about aesthetic issues. Since the point of the gear is, or so I hear, to make photographs, the question of how and whether the so-called technical issues matter is directly relevant to the discussions.

To think otherwise would be similar, I think, to being in an automotive technical discussion that concerned tire air pressure and limiting the discussion to technical issues such as how much pressure might cause the tire to explode and which tires could hold the most pressure before the explosion... and insisting that the question of how the pressure affects the driving capability of the car is irrelevant. In reality, the way the tire affects (or doesn't) performance is the real question.

(It is fun to think of other topics in which a similar point could be made. Imagine a cooking forum in which participants go on at great length about the accuracy of oven temperatures, the length of knives, the consistency of capacity of measuring devices, and so forth... and never discuss actual food and rarely even discuss cooking. And when someone enters the discussion to point out that the best chefs in the world don't use this wonky gear or that they make stupendous food with merely competent and reliable tools... they are told to go away because this is a "technical discussion" about cooking equipment. :-)

In so-called "technical" photographic discussions, one of the primary problems is that they often ignore the very reason for the technology, namely the effect of these technologies on the quality of the product... photographs. All too often the discussions focus on the technical matters in a complete vacuum, almost as if they don't actually matter in the production of actual photographs. And, come to think of it, often they don't.

In fact, the number of example photographs posted in such forums that prove the claimed technical point are often very limited and in some cases non-existent. This is not to say that some lovely photographs are not posted in threads like these - simply that their loveliness very rarely, if at all, is actually the result of using a specific lens.

Dan

Nov 12, 2012 at 04:20 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Your 50L sharpness ?

Dan,

As always your words make perfect sense. I just thought I got carried away a bit too much.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nov 12, 2012 at 08:09 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Your 50L sharpness ?

Nov 24, 2012 at 02:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Your 50L sharpness ?

gdanmitchell wrote:
I'm going to slightly disagree. A claim is sometimes made in "technical forums" that it is inappropriate to counter claims about "technical" issue by making points about aesthetic issues. Since the point of the gear is, or so I hear, to make photographs, the question of how and whether the so-called technical issues matter is directly relevant to the discussions.

To think otherwise would be similar, I think, to being in an automotive technical discussion that concerned tire air pressure and limiting the discussion to technical issues such as how much pressure might cause the tire to explode and which tires
...Show more

Although I find myself disagreeing with you more often than not, you're a necessary and helpful counterbalance on these gear threads. Regarding the 50L, I'm skeptical about the magical qualities of particular lenses myself but this lens really is something special.

Nov 24, 2012 at 02:54 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Your 50L sharpness ?

Yakim -- I was curious if you were apologizing for your personal disclosures about what has been preventing you from fully engaging in photography, or if it is as Dan thought, about some supposed "off" technical comments? I thought you felt the health chat might have been inappropriate for a technical forum (I don't think your personal comments could be taken badly, not in any way).

As I say, I'm just curious to understand whether I had misread your later remark, or if it had been taken the other way.

Regardless, you have my best wishes for a personal turnaround and improvement to a new level in your life.

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:52 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Your 50L sharpness ?

It is because I feel that comments on a technical forum should be mostly concentrated on the technical aspects of the picture. I got carried away and concentrated on the artistic aspects. It so happens that basically I think that the latter are more important but I simply forgot that there is a time for everything (Ecclesiastes).

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:27 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password