Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Full-frame under the microscope: Chipworks examines FF ca...

kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Full-frame under the microscope: Chipworks examines FF cameras.

Comment on Canon:

" with a particularly interesting tidbit to us being that the company is still working with a 0.5 Ám process for its full-frame sensors where rivals have moved onto 0.35 Ám, 0.25 Ám, or even 0.18 Ám processes"

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/10/25/full-frame-under-the-microscope-chipworks-examines-canon-nikon-sony-dslrs

http://www.chipworks.com/blog/technologyblog/2012/10/24/full-frame-dslr-cameras-canon-stays-the-course/

Oct 27, 2012 at 03:36 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Full-frame under the microscope: Chipworks examines FF cameras.

Nice reads so far, looking forward to the 3rd piece!

Oct 27, 2012 at 04:21 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Full-frame under the microscope: Chipworks examines FF cameras.

This means the bean counters at Canon are unwilling to invest in new equipment to bring out the best for their customers

Oct 27, 2012 at 04:29 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Full-frame under the microscope: Chipworks examines FF cameras.

I've been wondering for a while about throwing a sensor into the SEM i run, just to see. I should probably get round to it but the sample cross sectioning is not so easy to do well.

Oct 27, 2012 at 08:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Full-frame under the microscope: Chipworks examines FF cameras.

You guys don't have a multi-angle sample holder for that SEM?

Oct 27, 2012 at 08:54 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Full-frame under the microscope: Chipworks examines FF cameras.

I can get one easily enough, but we have a motorised tilting sample stage built into the instrument that's probably even better...

Oct 27, 2012 at 08:59 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Full-frame under the microscope: Chipworks examines FF cameras.

thw2 wrote:
This means the bean counters at Canon are unwilling to invest in new equipment to bring out the best for their customers

No.

Oct 27, 2012 at 09:22 AM
tonywong88
• •
p.1 #8 · Full-frame under the microscope: Chipworks examines FF cameras.

thw2 wrote:

I thought Canon was squeezing users for revenue to invest in a new fab, since all of their FF sensors have been made with the .5 Ám process, but then I read this part in the article:

"Canon does have a 0.18 Ám generation CIS wafer fab process, featuring a specialized Cu back end of line (BEOL) including light pipes (shown below). It is possible to speculate that Canon may be preparing to refresh its FF CIS line to supply devices for a new FF camera system."

Not sure what that means in terms of investment but it looks like Canon has a .18 Ám fab but it's not geared towards FF production (yet). Also unsure how good a high (36+) megapixel FF sensor would be using Canon's existing .5 Ám fab...if the rumours of the D800 competitor are true then it might be that Canon is already sinking in money to new FF fab infrastructure, which is super $$$.

Oct 27, 2012 at 08:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password