Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Picture Styles + RAW

CanonShooter88
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Picture Styles + RAW

When shooting in the RAW file format, do the Pictures Styles settings affect the image at all, or do they only work on JPEG files?

Oct 27, 2012 at 02:29 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Picture Styles + RAW

It does not affect raw. It does affect the histogram though and I find it the histogram to be more accurate if I choose faithful because the .jpg preview is flatter. I still Expose right and use highlight alert to allow certain areas of acceptable overexposure in my frame.

Oct 27, 2012 at 02:40 AM
WesN
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Picture Styles + RAW

Yes and no. Is the RAW image changed no. If you use DPP will it use the picture style for the converted image yes. Can you overwrite/change the picture style in DPP- yes.

Wes N.

Oct 27, 2012 at 03:10 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Picture Styles + RAW

..also lightroom ignores picture style.

Oct 27, 2012 at 03:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CanonShooter88
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Picture Styles + RAW

Okay so if I have Sharpening set to +5, that will be applied to the JPEG when I convert from RAW to JPEG in DPP (unless I override / change that) ?

Oct 27, 2012 at 03:47 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Picture Styles + RAW

I have no idea about dpp, but LR does not... I personally use neutral with a decrease in the contrast for a more accurate histogram.

Oct 27, 2012 at 04:05 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Picture Styles + RAW

CanonShooter88 wrote:
Okay so if I have Sharpening set to +5, that will be applied to the JPEG when I convert from RAW to JPEG in DPP (unless I override / change that) ?

That's correct, DPP starts with the camera settings as its defaults.

The best way to see what happens in different program's is to set the style for b&w . In DPP you will have a b&w image , but all the colour info will still be there . So if you reset the settings yo will have a colour image.
With the same raw file In LR you will first see a b&w image and then as LR draws its own preview you will then see a colour image.

Also , if you have a recent canon body the raw contains a full size jpeg (older bodies the jpeg was very small) . You can extract this jpeg with various program's. I use 'instant jpeg from raw' . It's really quick , and very handy when you want to view and send images to someone else

Oct 27, 2012 at 07:24 AM
CanonShooter88
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Picture Styles + RAW

Thanks for the explanations!

Oct 27, 2012 at 02:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password