Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Epson 3880: Trying to print with deliberately uneven, but...

alexgr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson 3880: Trying to print with deliberately uneven, but accurate borders (or just a margin)

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to make prints on my Epson 3880 through Photoshop CS6.

I'm using 11x14 paper, but it's scored and punched on the left hand side as it's going to be bound in a portfolio book.

Therefore I'm trying to make prints that are off-centre with a larger border on the left (to allow for the scored and punched area), but I'm not having any luck...

I've created an exact template in Photoshop, with the image in the right place and the deliberately uneven borders running all the way around it, but whatever I try, the image doesn't seem to print in the correct place - it's always much too far over to the left.

In Print Settings I've set my 'Destination Paper Size' correctly and experimented with selecting 'borderless printing (auto expand)'

In the Printing and Size options, I've experimented with the 'Centered' and 'Scale to fit media' options but to no avail.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something pretty obvious, but I'm only asking now as I've got a lot of prints to get through and don't want to waste much more ink/paper experimenting until I know that I'm on the right lines.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson 3880: Trying to print with deliberately uneven, but accurate borders (or just a margin)

when you say 'created an exact template', exactly where in PS and what method did you use?

I"ve had success in printer driver under Manage Custom Sizes... (Mac OSX) w/ margins that mimick the printable 'cell' area (ala Lightroom).

I'm sure some will also recommend looking at QImage software.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson 3880: Trying to print with deliberately uneven, but accurate borders (or just a margin)

Are you printing an actual 11x14 image on 11x14 paper with borderless printing? If so, the borderless part is probably causing your problem. Borderless printing is tricky.

But if you really have "deliberately uneven borders running all the way around it" you don't need borderless printing. Here's how I do it.

1. Create a 11x14 blank document in Photoshop. Cut, paste, size, and position the image on this 11x14 document, using rulers and guides to get it exactly where you want it.

2. Crop that document, cutting an even border off all edges. Probably 1/2 inch, ending up with a 10x13 document.

3. Print that 10x13 document centered on 11x14 paper.

Oct 26, 2012 at 04:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jonjack56

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson 3880: Trying to print with deliberately uneven, but accurate borders (or just a margin)

redcrown is right, you need to follow his instructions. These will help you.

Oct 07, 2013 at 06:01 AM
Camperjim
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson 3880: Trying to print with deliberately uneven, but accurate borders (or just a margin)

You have a lot of money invested in your printer. I highly recommend you spend just a bit more and buy Qimage. You can learn the basics of this software very quickly and it greatly simplifies the settings and layouts for printing.

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Sal Baker
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Epson 3880: Trying to print with deliberately uneven, but accurate borders (or just a margin)

You might consider getting and using Lightroom 5. I used to print from CS6 to my 3880 but Lightroom has very easy to use and sophisticated ways to format your prints in any way you need. Well worth the small cost.

Sal

Oct 07, 2013 at 11:28 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password