Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Test Shots ...

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Test Shots ...

Trying out something different.

Edited on Oct 25, 2012 at 08:59 PM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2012 at 06:58 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Test Shots ...

I suppose the object here is for us to report what we see so that you can see if your message is working. On that assumption, I will take a stab.

Two things pop out for me. The selective focus on the feather, and the prominent bokeh.

The bokeh appears strangely sharp edged.

Oct 25, 2012 at 07:07 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Test Shots ...

Thanks Ben ... I guess I could have better specified my interest.

Selective focus isn't really intentional, per se ... just shooting near sweet spot of lens. The bokeh isn't of particular interest either, although, the "hard ring" certainly has caught my attention that I'll look into further @ another time.

This is mostly about processing for form, texture & tone using a different baseline approach. Mostly, it helps me to better evaluate things once I post it where others can see it. Funny, how I can "fall in love" with my own authorship ... until I see it put on display. Then it has a way of transforming into something riddled with problems.

Oct 25, 2012 at 07:23 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Test Shots ...

Ok, form texture and tone is above my pay grade as they say in the movies.

Oct 25, 2012 at 08:10 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Test Shots ...

The contrast of shapes and textures is interesting.

Oct 25, 2012 at 08:11 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Test Shots ...

Thanks Karen,

A few more.

Oct 25, 2012 at 08:22 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Test Shots ...

Nice. You might consider retouching the dark speck on the second of the last set.

Oct 25, 2012 at 09:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Test Shots ...

Thanks Karen.

Yeah ... I get a bit focused on "new things" when doing "test" shots and miss some routine things along he way. Thanks for mentioning them.

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Test Shots ...

BTW, I quite like the B & W treatments!

Oct 26, 2012 at 04:02 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Test Shots ...

Karen,

Thanks. I had a couple "thoughts" yesterday that I wanted to see if there was any merit to them. I'd share but they are integrated with my Kodak SLR/c algorithm internal processing so I'd only confuse people unnecessarily. However, if you happen to be familiar with SLR/c profile, sharpening, NR, exposure and bias options ... I'll gladly share, as I still have more research/testing to do.

BTW ... does anyone have a good primer / reference for writing custom profiles?

Oct 26, 2012 at 02:32 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Test Shots ...

Very nice processing on #s 1 & 3 (most recent set) - nice.

Bob

Oct 26, 2012 at 03:22 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Test Shots ...

I've no knowledge of Kodak SLR things.

Oct 26, 2012 at 08:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Test Shots ...

AuntiPode wrote:
I've no knowledge of Kodak SLR things.

Yeah, it's pushing 8 years old now ... in digital years it is about as old school as Kaden's tin types , and even harder to find. It took me nearly two years to get mine ... one year to decide I wanted one, another year to actually find one.

Oct 26, 2012 at 08:15 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Test Shots ...

All I remember about Kodak SLRs was I couldn't afford 'em. A close friend gave me one of the earliest consumer digital - a Panasonic that had a 256k sensor or somesuch. Under ideal conditions it could actually make a somewhat useable picture. But I considered it a poor toy compared to my 'Blads. Then one day I bought a second hand D30 on Ebay and was happy with that until the 5D came out. Still like the 5D. I bought a GF1 to use on a trip because the 5D with a range of lenses was too much to carry. (I'm on my second GF1 and still enjoy it, although I suspect I'll be getting an OMD soon because it should use my existing lenses and yield higher quality images.) As you may deduce, I'm not much of a gearhead. Cameras to me are just tools. I'd rather have a good camera and stick with it than acquire a variety of gear. I hate learning new tools - hardware or software. Not surprisingly, I don't know much about gear I don't have. Heck, I only know as much about the gear I do have to let me basically use 'em. Some might argue even that.

Oct 26, 2012 at 08:42 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Test Shots ...

Gotcha ... Funny you mention the "Blad ... always out my reach, kept it simple with a Nikon FE a 28mm, 75-150 and a 300 for many years.

I shot Fujichrome 50, so "what ya shot, was what ya got" ... only when I shot weddings did I use print film VPS160 ... and then I just left everything to the lab.

Now that we are in the DIY, digital darkroom era ... that simplicity has been ransacked by the infinite options that abound. I've got no 'Blad gear, but I do have some Oly, Mamiya, Leica, Nikon and Zeiss glass that I can use on my SLR/c ... I'm gonna see how they play out in B&W with the SLR/c... inter-dependent on processing of course.

The "test" part of these were to assess whether or not I want to go down that road a little further. I'm thinking I might be in the mood for a stroll.

Oct 26, 2012 at 09:16 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Test Shots ...

Of course the irony was when I finally had an income large enough to buy a brace of 'Blads, I worked such long hours, often seven days a week, I had almost no chance to use 'em. It's always somethin'.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:15 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password